Poll: Doors vs Wheels

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Doors vs Wheels - Which side are you on?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Doors vs Wheels - Which side are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's pretty simple, but it's mainly two pronged. The first is that when something needs a door, it needs 1, whereas when something needs a wheel it's almost always more than 1. The second is that when something needs both, it again almost always needs the same amount or more wheels than doors. Also it's already been pointed out, but wheels have to be replaced far more frequently than doors. Mostly, for the people who think it's doors, my assumption is they don't think of all the things that actually has wheels. IE, "my house has x number of doors and no wheels". Ignores that your fridge most likely has wheels. Other appliances might. Most of your drawers will. Your dishwasher racks. Your tools/lawncare stuff, etc, etc. You showed the picture of a school with lockers, fair enough. Does the school have a computer lab? Does it have multiple. Almost every computer chair is on wheels and every mouse has a wheel. Office buildings, again nearly every chair is on wheels. Every chair has 4-5 wheels. Every chair probably requires multiple sets of wheels. Then think of like toys. How many toy cars have doors? But they still have 4 wheels. Lego. Stuff like that. It's easy to "forget" all the stuff that has doors, but then have it come to you. It's nearly impossible to remember all the things that have wheels, and then there is probably stuff you don't even realize has wheels (tape dispenser for ex.)
    All great thoughts here.

Is it also possible to not to remember things that have doors? Is it possible that there are places/things that we have not experienced that might have doors or wheels that we would not even think of?

One that was brought to my attention was a chicken egg farm with a large quota for eggs. The system that houses the hens, they supposedly all have there own little cage and therefore they all have there own little door.

How many other scenarios are out there that we have not thought about?
    Especially in different areas of the world.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Another thing is that just about every door that exists is readily visible. We see doors when we use them so they are front of mind. But I'd wager a substantial percentage of wheels in existence are in machinery designed to conceal inner workings, which include wheels, so we don't think about it. Like a refrigerator, the doors are obvious, but the wheels within the internal motor are never seen except for repair.

Dobber Sports Sage

Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Guru

I would go with wheels as well, but there are a lot more doors than people may be initially thinking. As I am sitting here in my living room, I can see 22 doors on the kitchen cabinets, plus the one that leads outside, the dishwasher and two fridge doors. That's 26 right there.

But I know in the garage, we have two cars with four wheels apiece, and another set of summer tires hanging on the walls. That's 16. Plus there are four bikes and three scooters. That's 30 there.

Sure there are other doors throughout the house (other cabinets, doors to rooms, doors on the cars, etc.), but there are also other wheels (treadmill, toys, roller blades, etc.)

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Garage door has about 16 wheels, any sliding doors? Dishwasher racks, drawer wheels, fridge wheels, wheels on chairs/furniture, etc….

If a roller is a wheel... does that make a gate a door?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

What do you mean roller? Like drawer wheels? Those aren't rollers, those are wheels. But if we're including gates and rollers, this becomes even more of a landslide.

What do you mean roller? Like drawer wheels? Those aren't rollers, those are wheels. But if we're including gates and rollers, this becomes even more of a landslide.
    Yes, that is the clarification I was looking for....

is this what you are referring to when you say a garage door has 16 wheels?

https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

​​

Yes, but that is a round object on an axel. That's a wheel.

So using that tactic....

The definition of a door:

a usually swinging or sliding barrier by which an entry is closed and opened
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/door

Which sounds a lot like the opening to a pasture, field, pen?

I think is is impossible for anyone to make a confident claim as to which one there is more of without a fair and impartial definition for both doors and wheels?

And then taking these definitions and being able to apply them to every region across the world and not just the regions that we are biased to knowing and understanding.

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

My definitions:
    Wheel - round object on an axle meant for transporting/moving an object. This negates gears.
    Door - Partition on a hinge or revolving barrier at an entrance to a building, room, vehicle, or cupboard.

I'm sitting on a computer chair that has 2 wheels/leg. Just realized that so each computer chair has between 8-12 wheels depending on how many legs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    So using that tactic....

The definition of a door:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/door

Which sounds a lot like the opening to a pasture, field, pen?

I think is is impossible for anyone to make a confident claim as to which one there is more of without a fair and impartial definition for both doors and wheels?

And then taking these definitions and being able to apply them to every region across the world and not just the regions that we are biased to knowing and understanding.
    Agree to disagree I guess. You can take the most generous definition of doors and the most strict definition of wheels and it's still wheels by an absolute landslide.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    My definitions:
    Wheel - round object on an axle meant for transporting/moving an object. This negates gears.
    Door - Partition on a hinge or revolving barrier at an entrance to a building, room, vehicle, or cupboard.

I'm sitting on a computer chair that has 2 wheels/leg. Just realized that so each computer chair has between 8-12 wheels depending on how many legs.
    gearwheel - A toothed wheel in a set of gears.
    It's a wheel.

Wheel was never defined in the link so we can only assume it's all encompassing. Same for door.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Agree to disagree I guess. You can take the most generous definition of doors and the most strict definition of wheels and it's still wheels by an absolute landslide.
    Yes... we can agree to disagree for sure. Although I never stated my conclusion either way (doors or wheels)

Was trying to keep an open mind as I have not experience every type of facility or every region of our earth.

The laying hens suggestion was definitely eye-opening for as to the door vs wheel count in an operation like that.
    How many eggs are consumed in a day... so how many of those operations exist.

So yes... lets agree to disagree on this:

You think it can be determined by an absolute landslide. I think it is impossible for someone to have as much confidence without a preconceived notion. In other words... I don't think anyone can have enough information and experience to say for certain.

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    The laying hens suggestion was definitely eye-opening for as to the door vs wheel count in an operation like that.
    How many eggs are consumed in a day... so how many of those operations exist.
    The hen operation is another clear example of why there are significantly more wheels in the world then there are doors. How do you think they move eggs in that type of facility? They use conveyor belts. How many wheels do you think there are on a conveyor belt?Screenshot 2022-03-15 122855.jpg