Thread: Pick-up Campbell?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Pick-up Campbell?

For cap league in sig. I have 1 FA pick-up left before trade deadline. Comfortably in 1st so looking at goalie keeper options for next year.

Is Campbell at $1,65M next year worth it? I love paying cheap for goalies. We only count wins and shutouts so doubting Petersen for next season. Demko at $5M is too much and not sure what Hart will get.

Also I'm a Habs fan and hate the Leafs with a passion.

Thanks!
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Pick-up Campbell?

if you have an acquisition to spare I would definitely pick him up.

his health is a concern but if you have a starting goaltender for next year on a potential top 5 team for less than $2M you gotta roll the dice

The Great One

I think it's a huge stretch to think Campbell will be Toronto's starter next year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

wouldn't say huge stretch

first off, it's a big question mark as to whether Toronto will re-sign Andersen. he hasn't been a playoff difference maker and with stretches of poor play the last 2 seasons I think its likely they pass on re-signing him when they are already tight against the cap and have Rielly to re-sign next summer. I think they'd also like to revamp their bottom 6 beyond reclamation projects.

If they don't re-sign Andersen, they'll definitely be in thr market for another goaltender but I don't see what's out there that would make Campbell a definitive backup. I think if Andersen isn't back you are likely to see a 1A/1B type of split. For that reason I think it's a really good idea to take a flyer on Campbell at his paltry salary now in the wvent he is given the chance to take over the bulk of starts next year for a team that should win at least 40 if not 45+ games for the foreseeable future.

if it doesn't break that way what did you lose? a FA pickup?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Campbell is worth a shot, especially for a move you will lose. I think he's played himself into an option for Toronto, as at least a tandem guy.

Your fandom seems to have confused Youppi! with Gritty.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

What are your thoughts on Vanecek? He's even cheaper on a pretty good team but for sure second fiddle to Samsonov?

@stevegamer.... big orange and furry....pretty sure they're related.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

They didn't trust Vanecek to be a backup this year (remember they signed Lumdqvist) and while he filled ima admirably, Samsonov is the fyoocha in Washington.

clear #2 at best for the time being with little path to being a starter on his current team, imo. Campbell is the much better choice here.