Thread: Markstrom - most overrated goalie

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Markstrom - most overrated goalie

Prior to this season, and even still, he was consistently ranked top 10 goalie and in the 1st tier yet his stats don't support this ranking. He has .910 career SV% with his best year having .918%, which was last year. He's never won more than 28 games and he's already 31 years old. And his AAV is $6 million so in salary cap leagues he is pretty poor value.

I guess hopes were high that in Calgary he can be a work horse and most expected the Flames to be a better team. Still, despite the Flames being as bad as they are, Markstrom is not making the saves he should be given his contract. And with the Flames likely sellers this year and who the heck knows how good a team they'll have next year, Markstrom's stock is on a severe decline.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Markstrom - most overrated goalie

I'm interested to see what the Flames do in front of him down the road. I stayed away from North goaltenders this year because of the high flying offenses and weak defense. If the Flames can make some smart moves and retool I could see them being back in the thick of a Pacific race with the lowly Calizona teams.

I don't think he's a great goaltender in a vacuum, though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10 Team H2H, 1 Year League
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5B, 2IR
    G, A, PPP, +/-, SOG, Hits, W, Sv%, GAA, SO

C: Point, Zibanejad, Trochek, Hintz (LW), Benn (LW)
    LW: Ovechkin, Fiala (RW)
    RW: Marner, Pastrnak
    D: Petry, Hamilton, Barrie, Josi
    G: Campbell, Khudobin, Talbot, Saros
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by janneywheels View Post
    I'm interested to see what the Flames do in front of him down the road. I stayed away from North goaltenders this year because of the high flying offenses and weak defense. If the Flames can make some smart moves and retool I could see them being back in the thick of a Pacific race with the lowly Calizona teams.

I don't think he's a great goaltender in a vacuum, though.
    Smart move in one-year leagues. Hellebuyck is doing just fine and so is Mike Smith. Oh and Demko too.

Administrator

I've seen a handful of folks buy on Markstrom lately thinking that Sutter might help turn the tides, but I find goalies just too context based to rely upon and in this case, Calgary just looks like a bad team headed towards the end of an era. Not a great spot for a goalie.

That said, the Canucks last season were a firewagon team and Markstrom helped them a lot. His .918 save percentage came in a season where the league average was .905. I respect the heavy lifting he did for that team, and wanted him in Edmonton.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Smart move in one-year leagues. Hellebuyck is doing just fine and so is Mike Smith. Oh and Demko too.
    ya I would have been fine with Hellebuyck but turned my focus elsewhere (which largely has not worked out, mind you)

Demko I believed was a good goalie but wasn't sold on Vancouver. I woulda taken a late round flyer if Talbot were not available. Mike Smith no way I was drafting hah.

I do have Campbell now, hopefully he stays healthy and holds the crease.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I've seen a handful of folks buy on Markstrom lately thinking that Sutter might help turn the tides, but I find goalies just too context based to rely upon and in this case, Calgary just looks like a bad team headed towards the end of an era. Not a great spot for a goalie.

That said, the Canucks last season were a firewagon team and Markstrom helped them a lot. His .918 save percentage came in a season where the league average was .905. I respect the heavy lifting he did for that team, and wanted him in Edmonton.
    Yeah, he was great last year but when you look closer, you realize he had just one great year. It's looking like that was an anomaly. You must be glad Edmonton didn't sign him.