Thread: First time user would like a bit of advice.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default First time user would like a bit of advice.

This is my first post, so please cut me a little slack. I have been very successful the previous 4 years because I consistently have had the best offense in each league, so good that I haven't paid much attention to goalies. Thank you Dobber for the great preseason and midseason guides! This year ESPN reduced goal and assist points. I am still on top offensively, but the gap is closing as I also have player after player going Out or on IR. The offensive players available aren't worth having, so I am adding goalies. So far all my adds have done well, but they are not the #1 and I am not getting enough plays.
    The leagues are 8 team H2H. 4 win, 3 so, .2/save, 1 for ot loss and -2 for goal allowed.
    These who I have been using:
    Kahkonen - MN - hoping he becomes #1 over Talbot, MN playing well. Like the fact that 3 Ca teams and AZ don't score a lot
    Nedelkovich -CAR - I prefer him over Reimer, but he is subject to being sent down. I have picked Mrazek up a couple times off IR and he should be playing shortly.
    Vanecek and Samsonov - Wash - Can't decide between these two. Washington is playing well.
    Halak: He has been playing well, but Boston has not been scoring for him. Rask due back shortly.
    Sorokin: Hoping they cut back on Varlamov down the stretch.
    And then, the wild card of wild cards: Lehner. I can pick him up in several leagues, but am afraid of him going off the rails after my other goalies have been picked up. Fleury is due for a rest, so like Sorokin pausing Varlamov he might see a lot of action down the stretch.
    I hope to narrow down to 3 or 4 so I can stop burning up the waiver wire!
    Thanks.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: First time user would like a bit of advice.

Lehner and MAF will be a tandem down the stretch. Bank on that
    Mrazek will get the reins again
    Sorokin and Varly, expect the same ratio
    Halak plays on a great team, dont lose faith
    Vana and Sams...keep both
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Welcome to the forums!

Kahkonen - I think Minnesota is pretty much a tandem situation for the rest of the year. Talbot could go to crap at any time, though.

Nedeljkovich -As you note, he is subject to being sent down. Honestly, I was surprised he cleared waivers earlier in the year, but some GM's are stupidly blind. There's a chance Reimer or he get dealt. I'd be worried about start volume here. Mrazek is solid grab for you, though.

Vanecek and Samsonov -Washington is playing well. Having both is likely a good idea, locking in the starts.

Halak - He's one of the best backups in the league. Not a lot of volume, but quality.

Sorokin - I think Varlamov will keep most of the workload, but I would expect him to be eased off a bit.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

With the change in ESPN scoring I will draft two workhorse goalies next year. Unfortunately, that is not an option this year at this time.
    Putting more thought to the situation:
    I am thinking with Fleury in need of some rest and the fact that Lehner is getting big bucks will get him good starts. I like the fact that VGS plays the 3 low scoring CA teams plus AZ.
    Mrazek will get the most starts for CAR, particularly if Nedeljkovic gets sent down, so leaning toward him as a second choice.
    Boston looks like 60/40 for Rask over Halak if he is okay when he returns. Boston scoring has been down this year.
    Regarding Sorokin, I think he will get a bit more time when they rest Varlamov, but still well under 50%. It concerns me that Anders Lee being out for the year will eliminate their best goal support.
    I like Samsonov and Vanecek and the Caps but I see the East as the toughest division. With NJ getting better the last couple weeks, BUF is the only sure punching bag.
    Kahkonen and Talbot have looked good for MN, but a lot of their wins have been against the CA teams and AZ. Over half their games are against those four teams, but a lot of them have already been played. Interesting to see what happens in the two games they are playing this week vs CO.
    SO: I am leaning toward Lehner and Mrazek as regulars to keep my adds/drops in line and playing whichever of the others is playing the weakest opponent with the weakest goalie.
    Not final yet, so any further input appreciated.

Dobber Sports Novice

I have the good fortune of insurmountable leads in all 12 leagues this week, so I decided to set my goalies.
    The Innies:
    Lehner: With Fleury playing something like 16 of the last 17 I have to suspect Lehner gets a lot of starts. He looked fat and slow last night, but he did win and get me points. Vegas a plus.
    Demko: I did not mention him in my initial post because he is in the No Defense North, but he is on a run and keeps getting points for me so I am going to keep him. Canucks looking better the past month.
    Vanecek: Doing consistently well for me. Have to beware of a switch to Samsonov. Washington a plus for whoever plays.
    Sorokin: Trotz promises Varlamov to get more rest down the stretch. Wish Anders Lee hadn't gone down.
    Kahkonen: My best money in the bank player the time since I started paying attention to goalies.
    The Outies:
    Halak. He played well for me, but Boston didn't score for him. Two games this coming week cancelled due to Covid and there may be more. Rask may be back in the saddle by the time they resume playing.
    Mrazek: He is not getting back on the ice as fast as I anticipated and I have more than enough red on my lineup. Am watching closely for his return.
    While finalizing my lineups I noticed that someone had waived Grubauer. I put in a claim, but am not overly hopeful because I am last in the waiver claim order.
    Well, this has been great for me. Having to put my thoughts down has, I think, helped me make the most of what was available. Time will tell.