Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Peters Under Investigation

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Bill Peters Under Investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Who cares if they pay him out or not. The man lost his job and reputation. Legally, having dealt with things like this in the past, he probably is owed compensation as there was no just cause in this firing.
    The man SHOULD have lost his job and his reputation; I have absolutely no problem with that. And whether or not there was "Just cause" or not; well if there was Just Cause, then he will not get compensated. If there was no just cause, then he will. I am fine with that.

I have no problem with the changing of the old-school that seems to be sweeping hockey like their version of the "Me too" movement. Too many disgusting acts have been covered up and swept under the rug. The day of reckoning may be upon us for some...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    The people calling for his head are the same people who voted for Trudeau a couple months ago.
    It must be hard to see everything in such black and white terms.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    The man SHOULD have lost his job and his reputation; I have absolutely no problem with that. And whether or not there was "Just cause" or not; well if there was Just Cause, then he will not get compensated. If there was no just cause, then he will. I am fine with that.

I have no problem with the changing of the old-school that seems to be sweeping hockey like their version of the "Me too" movement. Too many disgusting acts have been covered up and swept under the rug. The day of reckoning may be upon us for some...

Rylant
    I agree he should of lost his job and reputation but what more do people want? A public canning? Just move on. Also, these athletes are no angels either, I am sure there is lot's of wrong doing from players as well. IMO, these things should be dealt with privately.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Titan

Good.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Who cares if they pay him out or not. The man lost his job and reputation. Legally, having dealt with things like this in the past, he probably is owed compensation as there was no just cause in this firing.
    ......in your personal opinion.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    ......in your personal opinion.
    Show me some facts that say there is just cause in this case? The incident happened 10 years ago for a different organization. Labor laws are really strict and it's tough to fire someone for just cause. I think they should just let Akim Aliu publicly cane him, while he walks down the street naked, with people calling out "shame". That would satisfy the blood thirty SJW's one would think.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Show me some facts that say there is just cause in this case? The incident happened 10 years ago for a different organization. Labor laws are really strict and it's tough to fire someone for just cause. I think they should just let Akim Aliu publicly cane him, while he walks down the street naked, with people calling out "shame". That would satisfy the blood thirty SJW's one would think.
    So again, in your hyperbolic opinion that seemingly can't handle the world is changing around you.

The legal course hasn't played out yet, so it's yet to be determined whether or not there is just cause.

Dobber Sports Star

Do NHL coaches have the same protections from firing as other traditional jobs? Even if they couldn't fire him explicitly for a racial slur 10 years ago, surely they can fire him for the effect it may or may not have on the team currently. Moral is down, controversy is in the air, coach is gone. They have to do what's best for the team, and axing coaches is almost always step 1. It doesn't seem like something that would have anything to do with labor laws or just cause (but I'm no expert).

Dobber Sports Titan

Stepping down - Can mean a boss is "stepping down" from his role, and tends to mean they'll move into another, smaller role. This is in real life situation, Head coach might not be doing this if they say "I'm stepping down". GM+Presidents might say this where they step down from the GM role, but are still the President

Resigning - Personal decision on leaving the business

Firing - Boss fires you.

Treliving said, "Bill offered his resignation". Prolly ends up getting his contract paid out. If he's "fired" I think that's when they wouldn't pay out his contract (3yr, 6mill deal apparently).

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Stepping down - Can mean a boss is "stepping down" from his role, and tends to mean they'll move into another, smaller role. This is in real life situation, Head coach might not be doing this if they say "I'm stepping down". GM+Presidents might say this where they step down from the GM role, but are still the President

Resigning - Personal decision on leaving the business

Firing - Boss fires you.

Treliving said, "Bill offered his resignation". Prolly ends up getting his contract paid out.
    He was asked that, and he wouldn't answer. He also wouldn't answer the question "what was your plan had he not offered his resignation ".
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He was asked that, and he wouldn't answer. He also wouldn't answer the question "what was your plan had he not offered his resignation ".
    interesting. Can take that either way. Doesn't wanna say he's getting paid still because 2mill/yr might look bad, or doesn't wanna say they found legal ways to fire a coach to save his face maybe.

Dobber Sports Star

On another note, this would be so much more interesting if the Flames were killing it this year as opposed to how they've been playing...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    On another note, this would be so much more interesting if the Flames were killing it this year as opposed to how they've been playing...
    Oh for sure. The fact that the Flames have sucked , and were probably already considering making a change at HC, really makes this decision easier to some extent for the Flames.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Fired on Black Friday

Poetic justice
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Do NHL coaches have the same protections from firing as other traditional jobs? Even if they couldn't fire him explicitly for a racial slur 10 years ago, surely they can fire him for the effect it may or may not have on the team currently. Moral is down, controversy is in the air, coach is gone. They have to do what's best for the team, and axing coaches is almost always step 1. It doesn't seem like something that would have anything to do with labor laws or just cause (but I'm no expert).
    Labor Laws are just that a law for a reason. You can't really circumvent them based on what your job title or industry is. Again, I deal with this kind of thing at work. You usually have to have an employee being written up and multiple incidents before you can just cause fire someone. Even then I have had situations where the labor board has performed an investigation to see if the employee should of been fired. What you can do and what probably happened here is you can come to an agreement on severance or in this case a payout of his contract, where the employee agrees to not pursue the matter any further legally for accepting the offer. Either way who cares if he gets paid or not. He lost his job and reputation, and probably won't ever coach in North America again. To me it seems the punishment fit the crime.