Thread: Raanta, Lehner, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Raanta, Lehner, Talbot

I have Holtby, Markstrom and Schneider. One of the three in subject will be an insurance policy.

Thoughts on which one?
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Raanta, Lehner, Talbot

It sounds like you are just looking for the goalie who will have the most value by the end of the season, and I think that's Robin Lehner. He's clearly got the goods, and I would imagine he's being groomed / auditioned for the Blackhawks long-term #1 gig. He will have every opportunity to prove his mettle (again), and I think Lehner is going to be the guy who ends up having #1 starter value by playoff time.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would rank:
    Raanta
    Lehner
    Talbot

All three have question marks (health and time share) and not really a large difference.
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - Hughes (C/LW), Mackinnon (C), Ek (C),
    LW - Stutzle (LW), Raymond (LW/RW), Joshua (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Giouroux (C/RW). Bjorkstrand (RW), Mantha (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Makar, Seider, L Hughes, Matheson, Faber
    G - Saros, Levi, Luukkonen
    IR -
    -------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 19 on Roster (+4 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    55 Moves Regular Season (re-set to 8 for Play-Offs)
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dobber Sports Ace

Ok, so let's toss Talbot out and focus on Lehner versus Raanta...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Lehner
    Talbot
    Raanta - he's hurt again... already. How bad is a question mark. Lower body which can't make anyone feel better
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports All-Star

Crawford won't last the season so Lehner by around Xmas will get bulk of starts.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The way I would rank them are as follows: Lehner, Talbot, Raanta
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    Ok, so let's toss Talbot out and focus on Lehner versus Raanta...
    So im gonna toss this out there- I think Tocchet is a miracle worker- lol!! I think he implemented a system, got complete buy in from the players, and milked out every last win he could from a very mediocre roster. I also think Kuemper is a good but not great goaltender. I was going to say "average" but that word gets misconstrued as average in the NHL is still very, very good. I think hes a good/average goalie who got team buy in to a system that really sheltered him. I think he had a good showing and improved his stock.

I DO think Raanta is a great goalie. The upside of a team playing that system and buying into it- with a "great" goalie in net really makes you salivate as a fantasy GM- i really feel like he could have a special season.

The problems are twofold:

One- he has to prove himself all over again and on top of that Kuemper has earned a longer leash. thats going to be hard to do if the frackin guy cant stay healthy- lol!

Two- Im not even sure you can duplicate that season. on the one hand that style is very restricting to players and grinding out D heavy wins can irk players and its not impossible to "lose the room" playing this style of hockey for a long period of time. On top of that- they were getting lucky bounces to help them in those one goal games- its not even a sure thing that even with a room full of players working the system to the best of their ability that they'll get the same results.

My thinking is it will be more of a split for the first half of the season but if he can stay healthy (big if at this point)- I think raantas starts will look more like a true number ones starts in the second half. So in theory thats- lets say 20 and 30 for 50 starts. the good news is that a good many of them should be quality starts with very good numbers. Thats assuming hes even healthy now- lol!

In the comparable- you kind of have to figure lehners in the same boat. I do NOT have an inside line on what Chicago has planned for Crawford- they may be loyal to him to the end- lord knows theyve been loyal this far. if it were me id be handing the reigns to Lehner (and a 5 million cap hit at least infers thats their thinking) in a similar scenario as outlined above. Splitting time to make sure theyre both healthy and rested whiole gradually schoosing a "for real" starter and giving him a few more games down the stretch. My thinking is that Chicago will get a few more wins- but either goalie will have higher quality shots to face.

If your league is win biased- Ill take lehner. if peripherals like gaa AND sv% have more impact Ill lean towards Raanta by a small margin. In the end theyre similar age, they both have upside as starters, but theyll both have to work to get their and face big question marks in their fellow teammate tenders. I own raanta so I like him a bit more but thats biased. If I were drafting a new team Id base it on wins or save percentage. A funny twist is that if your league counts "saves"- Lehner gets a slight edge because I belive arizona will be better at suppressing not only the quality of shots- bgut the quantity as well...