Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Thread: William Nylander contract situation

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: William Nylander contract situation

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Sure. Let him play elsewhere. All Toronto has to do is make Nylander a UFA, and Nylander will be happy to go elsewhere.

As for making less money and winning, what guarantee is there that Toronto will win with Nylander making less money. Imagine if Nylander took $2 million less per year for eight years and the Leafs can't win. That's $16 million he left on the table for nothing.

I can't imagine my boss coming to me and asking to take 25 per cent less just so he can hire someone else.
    No one is saying take a 25% cut. There is no cut. What they are saying is you are an RFA and you are worth this much. In this case the Leafs also hold Nylanders rights so it is either play with us or sit and get nothing. And why make him a UFA, if he does not want to sign a contract trade his rights to the highest bidder. Those are the rules. Maybe another team thinks he is an 8 million dollar potential #1 center, instead of a winger.

People are making this a personal attack on Nylander, which it is not. There is a hard cap. Nylanders value is not just just based on Ehlers, Pasternak or Draisailtl, but on the Leafs structure. I would argue that Nylander is potentially the 6th most valuable piece on the Leafs. Maybe 7-8.

Matthews 12
    Tavares 11
    Marner 8
    Anderson 5
    Rielly 5

If we say that your top 5 players are worth 45% of your team and pretend that the cap is 85 million. The 41 million above represents over 48% of the salary cap. We know Gardiner is likely to get 6+ in his next contract and you need to keep Kadri at 4 for a bit, so that is 51 million at 7 contracts, which leaves 34 million for 16 others. And is Nylander more important to the Leafs than either of Gardiner or Kadri or another top 4 D that they need.

As a player, I like Nylander. I want him to stay. I have no doubt that he and Mattews would be great together and seem to be an ideal match. But this whining about a 22 year old kid?

Quote Originally Posted by LukePicmo View Post
    This is the big leagues, and being a kid is no longer an excuse.
    <----THIS. I also agree with Axeman, that this the way things are done.... But he has an agent and a Father to coddle him, not the Leafs job.

Shanahan is the President of the The Toronto Maple Leafs and just came out and announce his expectation of players who want to sign long term. He put everyone on notice and made public the mandate that his rookie GM is following. I would suggest that his support of his new GM far outweighs the feeling of a single player. I like Shanahan because he just came out and said what everyone was thinking anyway, I am sure he can live with the public/media outcry. None of us know what the players on Detroit sacrificed to stay. Maybe they did. Until one of them steps up and calls bullshit on Shanahan, I have no reason to doubt him. It was a different world then. This is the new salary cap era and Shanahan just said what he expects.

This is not about winning a cup this year, it is about building an organization that will seriously compete every year. So far Shanahan seems like the right man for the job.

Dobber Sports Deity

Nylander or no Nylander, there's no way the Leafs are winning anything until they seriously improve their D.

That's a fact.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    No one is saying take a 25% cut. There is no cut. What they are saying is you are an RFA and you are worth this much. In this case the Leafs also hold Nylanders rights so it is either play with us or sit and get nothing. And why make him a UFA, if he does not want to sign a contract trade his rights to the highest bidder. Those are the rules. Maybe another team thinks he is an 8 million dollar potential #1 center, instead of a winger.

People are making this a personal attack on Nylander, which it is not. There is a hard cap. Nylanders value is not just just based on Ehlers, Pasternak or Draisailtl, but on the Leafs structure. I would argue that Nylander is potentially the 6th most valuable piece on the Leafs. Maybe 7-8.

Matthews 12
    Tavares 11
    Marner 8
    Anderson 5
    Rielly 5

If we say that your top 5 players are worth 45% of your team and pretend that the cap is 85 million. The 41 million above represents over 48% of the salary cap. We know Gardiner is likely to get 6+ in his next contract and you need to keep Kadri at 4 for a bit, so that is 51 million at 7 contracts, which leaves 34 million for 16 others. And is Nylander more important to the Leafs than either of Gardiner or Kadri or another top 4 D that they need.

As a player, I like Nylander. I want him to stay. I have no doubt that he and Mattews would be great together and seem to be an ideal match. But this whining about a 22 year old kid?

<----THIS. I also agree with Axeman, that this the way things are done.... But he has an agent and a Father to coddle him, not the Leafs job.

Shanahan is the President of the The Toronto Maple Leafs and just came out and announce his expectation of players who want to sign long term. He put everyone on notice and made public the mandate that his rookie GM is following. I would suggest that his support of his new GM far outweighs the feeling of a single player. I like Shanahan because he just came out and said what everyone was thinking anyway, I am sure he can live with the public/media outcry. None of us know what the players on Detroit sacrificed to stay. Maybe they did. Until one of them steps up and calls bullshit on Shanahan, I have no reason to doubt him. It was a different world then. This is the new salary cap era and Shanahan just said what he expects.

This is not about winning a cup this year, it is about building an organization that will seriously compete every year. So far Shanahan seems like the right man for the job.
    Nylander's value does not decrease just because he is the 7th or 8th most valuable Leaf. If this is the case then they should have traded him since his contract is worth more than the value to his team. Trust me, as a Hawks fan I know too well about having to get rid of players since you can't afford what they're worth.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Nylander's value does not decrease just because he is the 7th or 8th most valuable Leaf. If this is the case then they should have traded him since his contract is worth more than the value to his team. Trust me, as a Hawks fan I know too well about having to get rid of players since you can't afford what they're worth.
    As a Hawks fan you know, his value to the team absolutely decreases based on his ranking to the team. Those who fit in around the most important contracts stay, those who do not play elsewhere. Now with a hard cap, perceived value and actual value, are dictated by cap value. Teams that pays star players upwards of 10-11 million AAV will have a tough time competing unless they control the cost of their secondary players.

You paid Kane and Toews the big money AFTER they won their cups....... What has Nylander done or won to deserve being paid like an elite player? I don't think playing on Matthew wing counts.

Dobber Sports Monster

Toronto & Vancouver: Chris Tanev, Kole Lind, 2019 2nd Round Pick for William Nylander
    Toronto & New York I: Ryan Pulock for William Nylander
    Toronto & Anaheim: Cam Fowler or Brandon Montour for William Nylander
    Toronto & Ottawa: Thomas Chabot, Colin White for William Nylander
    Toronto & Nashville: Ryan Ellis for William Nylander

Just throwing out guesses but as time passes I believe he will end up getting moved.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Toronto & Vancouver: Chris Tanev, Kole Lind, 2019 2nd Round Pick for William Nylander
    Toronto & New York I: Ryan Pulock for William Nylander
    Toronto & Anaheim: Cam Fowler or Brandon Montour for William Nylander
    Toronto & Ottawa: Thomas Chabot, Colin White for William Nylander
    Toronto & Nashville: Ryan Ellis for William Nylander

Just throwing out guesses but as time passes I believe he will end up getting moved.

I honestly believe the Dman the Leafs should be looking at from the Ducks is Manson.

Again, you are looking at these trades from a fantasy perspective, not an NHL perspective and what the Leafs need. What they need is a young Dman who can move people out of Freddy's way, lays the body heavy and can get the puck out. Manson fits that bill much better than guys like Cam Fowler or Brandon Montour or even Ryan Pulock for that matter. They don't need more offensive Dmen! That's all they have now as it is (minus Hainsey and he's probably been one of their better D so far this season).

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    They may have struggled against those teams, but not offensively. The fact is...they are 2-1 with 13 goals in those games. If offense was lacking, I'd agree with you.
    And you know as well as I do that Sens-Leafs games and Habs-Leafs games are usually very competitive even when there should be a clear favourite.
    Their offense wasn't the problem last year either. I believe they were the 3rd highest scoring team in the league if I am not mistaken. This isn't the 80s and you cant win the Cup on offense alone.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Again, you are looking at these trades from a fantasy perspective, not an NHL perspective and what the Leafs need.
    This is one of the reasons I could never last over on HF. I shared my opinions over there and they thought I was crazy with my evaluations (mind you this was years ago) but I was just sharing my thoughts on what I think would happen. I haven't played the game as much people here have and don't know the PURE values of each players as most do.

Good luck with everyone on their fantasy hockey seasons and hope William signs soon.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    This is one of the reasons I could never last over on HF. I shared my opinions over there and they thought I was crazy with my evaluations (mind you this was years ago) but I was just sharing my thoughts on what I think would happen. I haven't played the game as much people here have and don't know the PURE values of each players as most do.

Good luck with everyone on their fantasy hockey seasons and hope William signs soon.
    I never said you were crazy with your evaluations. I said your trade thoughts don't fit the needs of the Leafs. They would be great fantasy trades but the Leafs do not need another offensive Dman. That's all I was saying.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I never said you were crazy with your evaluations. I said your trade thoughts don't fit the needs of the Leafs. They would be great fantasy trades but the Leafs do not need another offensive Dman. That's all I was saying.
    I understand. Looking forward to any news on William.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    As a Hawks fan you know, his value to the team absolutely decreases based on his ranking to the team. Those who fit in around the most important contracts stay, those who do not play elsewhere. Now with a hard cap, perceived value and actual value, are dictated by cap value. Teams that pays star players upwards of 10-11 million AAV will have a tough time competing unless they control the cost of their secondary players.

You paid Kane and Toews the big money AFTER they won their cups....... What has Nylander done or won to deserve being paid like an elite player? I don't think playing on Matthew wing counts.
    I am not debating what Nylander's value is to the team. But his value doesn't go down since he is not as valuable to Toronto as he would be to other teams. That's not how it works. His contract needs to be comparable to other players in his age group and at his talent level. The closer I looked at it, 6.5 M for 6 seasons seems reasonable. What do you think Toronto is offering?
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

I am not debating what Nylander's value is to the team. But his value doesn't go down since he is not as valuable to Toronto as he would be to other teams. That's not how it works. His contract needs to be comparable to other players in his age group and at his talent level. The closer I looked at it, 6.5 M for 6 seasons seems reasonable. What do you think Toronto is offering?
    I think Toronto is offering 6.25 and they want 8.25. Just a guess.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd imagine this is the upper limit Toronto would go which is fair considering comparable players.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    I'd imagine this is the upper limit Toronto would go which is fair considering comparable players.
    Agreed. I figured a little less than Pastrnak whose contract started last year. Over 8 is ridiculous.

Toronto might have to sign him then trade him this offseason.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PatyOFurniture View Post
    islanders should offer sheet marner if theres a chance.
    Agreed.

That's what the NHL needs more of. Offer sheets.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov