Thread: Aho and Trocheck Upside - Draft Strategy

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Aho and Trocheck Upside - Draft Strategy

I could use some help with draft strategy this year. I have a late pick in a 5 keeper snake draft. I have multiple players that were point per game(80- 85pts) last year and am wondering if it would be worth moving one or 2 of them to add picks in the 2nd or 3rd round.

What do you think the point projection of Aho and Trocheck are?

Would you keep them over a "surer things" if you could add an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd round of a snake draft?

12 team, Points only league.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Aho and Trocheck Upside - Draft Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Donglinger Jones View Post
    I could use some help with draft strategy this year. I have a late pick in a 5 keeper snake draft. I have multiple players that were point per game(80- 85pts) last year and am wondering if it would be worth moving one or 2 of them to add picks in the 2nd or 3rd round.

What do you think the point projection of Aho and Trocheck are?

Would you keep them over a "surer things" if you could add an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd round of a snake draft?

12 team, Points only league.

Thanks
    It would help if you could give us more info to properly compare with you. What do you consider sure things? What can those rounds get you? What are your team needs if you're considering jettisoning those two?

Trochek has a safe floor of 60-65, I would say. Same for Aho. Whether certain players hit 70+ all the time really matters on whether they are the top option on the team and the competition they face. Aho is the top option. Trochek is second fiddle to Barkov, but plays with him on the PP. While Trochek had the better season last year (I am a huge fan btw) I think his numbers could fluctuate more based on his usage, given the top 6 in FLA. Aho is the top option no matter what. If I had to pick in a dynasty, I would convince myself to take Aho (talent) even though I think Trochek has the better motor.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

The Great One

Trocheck's worst format is points only and I fear he'll settle into being a 1B type of center ala ROR - good enough to be on your radar but not ever superb in terms of points. Plus, I worry that he could be the player pushed off PP1 if the team shakes things up. Aho, on the other hand, I see as about to explode. Did you see what he did this past spring at the IIHF World Championships? He was on a whole other level. And also keep in mind that he started slow last season so his stats are slightly better than they'd appear. I'm hitching my wagon to Aho out of these two, and think that Aho will top 75 this season and then it's 80+ for seasons to come.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks guys. I kept it pretty vague because multiple GMs from my league read these forums and try to derail my trades with weaker teams.

So the general consensus is that Aho is primed for a better year than Trocheck? So if I dumped a Kuznetsov or Panarin for an extra pick in the second round, Aho could pick up the slack?

Dobber Sports Stud

I’d be hard pressed to dump a guy like Panarin for a 2nd rounder. Are you able to share your 5 keepers? If you have to, id move Kuzzy way before the Bread Man
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Trocheck's worst format is points only and I fear he'll settle into being a 1B type of center ala ROR - good enough to be on your radar but not ever superb in terms of points. Plus, I worry that he could be the player pushed off PP1 if the team shakes things up. Aho, on the other hand, I see as about to explode. Did you see what he did this past spring at the IIHF World Championships? He was on a whole other level. And also keep in mind that he started slow last season so his stats are slightly better than they'd appear. I'm hitching my wagon to Aho out of these two, and think that Aho will top 75 this season and then it's 80+ for seasons to come.
    I honestly think both of these guys are extremely underrated! However I completely agree with this! I also think Aho is about to explode for 75-80+ and never look back. Trocheck had something like 78 pts last year and I do think that his ceiling is somewhere there but I do believe he can repeat those numbers consistently. Amazing motor and skating ability along with #1 PP and lots of good scoring wingers.

Give me Ahoooo. I?m projecting

35 goals
    47 assists
    82 points
    12 Team - 17 Players
    6 Keepers league w/Yahoo

C: Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel,
    LW: Andrei Svechnikov
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Mitchell Marner
    D:
    G: Andrei Vasilevskiy

(G) 3 (A) 2 (+/-) 0.5 (PIM) 0.5 (PPP) 1 (SHG) 1 (GWG) 2
    (Shots) 0.1 (W) 3 (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 5

2013-2014 Champion
    2017-2018 Champion
    2018-2019 Champion

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Would you take Aho over William Karlsson in a keeper league?
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    Would you take Aho over William Karlsson in a keeper league?
    I would 100%
    12 Team - 17 Players
    6 Keepers league w/Yahoo

C: Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel,
    LW: Andrei Svechnikov
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Mitchell Marner
    D:
    G: Andrei Vasilevskiy

(G) 3 (A) 2 (+/-) 0.5 (PIM) 0.5 (PPP) 1 (SHG) 1 (GWG) 2
    (Shots) 0.1 (W) 3 (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 5

2013-2014 Champion
    2017-2018 Champion