Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Domingue: ?Honestly, I almost quit hockey?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Domingue: ?Honestly, I almost quit hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    To be fair, imagine if you got fired from your job, but your employer had the right to not only keep you from working at another position in your company but also to determine who you could work for next, and when you could start working for them. How long would you wait before you started looking at options to get out of the situation? A week, two weeks, a month? If it were me and it was a week and a half without hearing anything, I would have started going stir crazy and definitely started looking at options to get out of the situation.
    Yeah, I definitely see it more like this. He just wanted an answer, and wasn't being given one. Asking someone to whom you're under contract for an open line of communication regarding the future of your employment is definitely not asking much. Even if they had said to him "don't report to Tuscon, but within (x timeframe) we'll have a concrete answer for you" it would have been better. Outside of the pro sports world (in Ontario anyhow), your employer is legally required to maintain your expected schedule, if they don't you're eligible to call them for constructive dismissal; which means your employer is considered to have fired you, and is responsible for paying severance or whatever else you're entitled to (whether it be based on your contract, or the standard protections under the Labour Code).

I know they're wealthy people, but expecting an employer to be upfront regarding your own future doesn't seem like asking a lot to me. I also don't think him talking about it post-trade is whining, just explaining how it felt to go through what he did. He was asked the question, after all. If he had gone on the radio or to the media with this story before he was traded, then I would see it as whiny and trying to force the team to make a move; to me this is just an honest response to a question he was asked. Definitely prefer an honest answer to the standard canned response most players give.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I agree. Im usually the empathy police- lmao- trying to defend people who have gripes but I mean cmon- haha! Youre a multi-millionaire who gets to play the greatest game on the planet... for a living!! a week and a half and renting ice overnight one time is NOT the end of the world. Id PAY money to skate around with Doan and his kid after midnight- hell Id pay for the ice time to fire picks at Doiminge for a couple hours- hahaha! This comes across as waaaaaaaaaay whiny...
    Domingue is far from a multi-millionaire. He's made $1 million in each of the last few years, but that's before taxes, agent fees, etc.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ninja

To be fair, imagine if you got fired from your job, but your employer had the right to not only keep you from working at another position in your company but also to determine who you could work for next, and when you could start working for them. How long would you wait before you started looking at options to get out of the situation? A week, two weeks, a month? If it were me and it was a week and a half without hearing anything, I would have started going stir crazy and definitely started looking at options to get out of the situation.
    Oh don't get me wrong, like I said I think his feelings were justified and I couldn't imagine how difficult it must have been to go through those feelings of fear of the unknown. I just think he shouldn't have talked about it in the media. It just comes across as very "sour grapes" and especially for a guy who still hasn't established himself yet in the league he needs to make sure that he doesn't piss anyone off.

Using your analogy imagine if you got out of the situation, and you told the whole world about how you were wronged at your last job. It's just bad practice. They say you shouldn't bad mouth your last employer at your new job, let alone go on a podcast to bad mouth your last employer. Should just focus on his current situation and leave the past out of the public spotlight.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Titan

He makes 1.1mill. If my job did that to me and I made that much I'd sit and say "yes sir".
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Earning more money does not equate having to submit to eating crap whenever it's served. That's not a good argument lol

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Earning more money does not equate having to submit to eating crap whenever it's served. That's not a good argument lol
    Why sign a 1-way contract then? Players sign it so if they do get sent down, they get paid like they were in the NHL. They want to earn more money so if they do get sent down (eat crap) it's worth it.

just to put it into some numbers, his salary is 1.1mill per year, his salary per day is $3,013.70, he got paid roughly $54,246.57 over the 18 days he was in limbo (salary). A persons yr salary in under 3 weeks. How much does ice cost at midnight in Phoenix? $100? Dudes whining a ton here.

The team was trying to trade him, if this went on for months, that's different. But it's 3 weeks, at the beginning of the season when trades don't happen.

Administrator

The numbers are irrelevant. The statement that he's paid well and because of that he shouldn't bitch about anything is simply wrong. Such a backwards way of thinking. But to each their own I suppose...

Dobber Sports Titan

The numbers are irrelevant. The statement that he's paid well and because of that he shouldn't bitch about anything is simply wrong. Such a backwards way of thinking. But to each their own I suppose...
    If you think numbers are irrelevant when it comes to ones salary then you have a backwards way of thinking.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    If you think numbers are irrelevant when it comes to ones salary then you have a backwards way of thinking.
    That's not what I stated lol

Dobber Sports Stud

He makes 1.1mill. If my job did that to me and I made that much I'd sit and say "yes sir".
    If he were guaranteed to make $1.1M per year until retirement in 40 years, then yes, I'd agree. But he makes $1.1M (before taxes, agent commission, etc) for 2 years of his life, and goalies don't get better at their trade by sitting around doing nothing. In the extreme, what does he do when 2018 ends, he hasn't been allowed to play professional hockey for over a year, and then can start looking for a new job because his contract is up? That's a tough situation for anyone to be successful in. So when the team isn't communicating anything to him, he's paying out of pocket to train, and is being held hostage by the team from participating in games (or at the very least, game like conditions in NHL / AHL practices), he had every right to try to figure out how he was going to support himself.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Titan

That's not what I stated lol
    The only numbers I was stating was his salary, and you said the numbers are irrelevant.

If he were guaranteed to make $1.1M per year until retirement in 40 years, then yes, I'd agree. But he makes $1.1M (before taxes, agent commission, etc) for 2 years of his life, and goalies don't get better at their trade by sitting around doing nothing. In the extreme, what does he do when 2018 ends, he hasn't been allowed to play professional hockey for over a year, and then can start looking for a new job because his contract is up? That's a tough situation for anyone to be successful in. So when the team isn't communicating anything to him, he's paying out of pocket to train, and is being held hostage by the team from participating in games (or at the very least, game like conditions in NHL / AHL practices), he had every right to try to figure out how he was going to support himself.
    His contract was 1mill for yr 1, 1.1mill for yr 2. Otherwise known as 38.89yrs of work at $54,000/yr salary.

He was offered ECHL playing time while they worked out a trade. He declined it. He was offered free ice (ECHL Games) and time to play and he declined. I only see him whining because it was only 18 days! If it was a month or more then yeah maybe I can see it, but it wasn't even 3 weeks.

Administrator

The only numbers I was stating was his salary, and you said the numbers are irrelevant.
    I stated the numbers don't matter in response to you saying he's rich so he should just eat the shit served in his plate. That's just wrong.

Administrator

Seattle Seahawks - even in hockey they would call a run play at the goal line...

Dobber Sports Titan

I stated the numbers don't matter in response to you saying he's rich so he should just eat the shit served in his plate. That's just wrong.
    What shit was served too him?

in a dinner scenario it was like this:
    -He was given steak (NHL). He chewed it, spat it on the floor and continued doing so for 7 bites (0-7 start of the season)
    -His steak was taken away, and he was told usually we ask you to go to our sister restaurant (AHL) but there's no seats available, but you can stay here and eat this burger (ECHL) on us while we try and find you another restaurant you can go to (Another NHL team). He said no
    -He complains they aren't serving him (not letting him use NHL ice) and then complains how he had to purchase his own food (renting his own ice).
    -18 minutes (18 days) goes by and the restaurant he went to under his own choice finds him a restaurant that will take him (TBL)

He was given options, chose not too take them, and then complained. Dude makes 1.1mill and is complaining how the team isn't renting him ice when they gave him the option to play in the ECHL is whining and entitlement in my eyes.

We clearly see it differently. To me this guy should be happy and be willing to do what the team asks because he is an employee to them. And it's not like he's Carey Price where he's got the talent to complain, earn your stripes buddy (JD, not you obviously).

Administrator

We clearly see it differently. To me this guy should be happy and be willing to do what the team asks because he is an employee to them. And it's not like he's Carey Price where he's got the talent to complain, earn your stripes buddy (JD, not you obviously).
    I'm not speaking to the Domingue example, I'm speaking to your statement about someone earning a high salary meaning they should just take it (which you did write earlier today). I don't agree with that at all. If my employer suddenly doubles my salary that doesn't give them the green light to treat me worse. They can (and should) give me more responsibility though and hold me accountable if I fail to deliver. Earning a higher salary wouldn't suddenly make me a privileged person that should smile at any BS going on around me.

I don't have a strong stance on Domingue. It's such a minor thing in the grand scheme. The Coyotes were not perfect here but again it's a player that cleared waivers who lost his golden boy appeal. I don't feel Domingue being open about the situation is a big deal either. It's a podcast and he's there to chat, which is what happens on any podcast in 2017. No big deal, even if he perhaps dramatized it to an extent. Everyone will forget about it by Monday and the water will flow freely under the bridge.

Also, Price has a really really high salary so he should just sit there and take it