Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: WOW... Lias Andersson throws medal into crowd!!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: WOW... Lias Andersson throws medal into crowd!!

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I don't think it's something that needs to become a story, but honestly I consider this to be total garbage. The argument saying "this means he's a fierce competitor!" is also total garbage. If anyone can convince me that this act means Andersson is a better competitor, has more heart, hates losing more, etc than the rest of his teammates who DIDN'T throw their medal, I promise I'll paypal you 10 bucks.

These kids are the elite of the elite. He was the Captain and representing his country on the biggest youth hockey stage there is. Yes he's young, and that's why he did it so it's not fair to judge his character. But for fans to glorify it or justify it in any way is just wrong. There is no place for this in sports.. His behavior spits on the entire spirit of international competition. International play is completely different than a junior game or SEL game. He's going to regret this so much as he grows up.
    Go back and watch the part where Team Canada is skating past the Swedes and shaking their hands after all the medals are handed out. Look to see how many of the Swedes are not wearing that silver medal. If you don't remember, didn't see it or dont believe me, quite a few of them aren't wearing them. Whether they threw them into the stands or not, they weren't wearing them so Lias Andersson wasn't the only one disappointed at that time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Stupid move and the Swedes always break down emotionally in big moments like this. In 2009 they were so dirty in the gold medal game.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Go back and watch the part where Team Canada is skating past the Swedes and shaking their hands after all the medals are handed out. Look to see how many of the Swedes are not wearing that silver medal. If you don't remember, didn't see it or dont believe me, quite a few of them aren't wearing them. Whether they threw them into the stands or not, they weren't wearing them so Lias Andersson wasn't the only one disappointed at that time.
    I sure hope others didn't do it. But if they did, I think it's pretty possible that if the Captain-- and first player to receive his medal-- didn't do it, other people would've have either.

If more players did it, then more players are poor sports. In fact I honestly thought the Swedes were showing a horrible display of sportsmanship after the loss... moreso than I recall seeing from past losing teams. Really not a classy squad. Who was their coach?

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think any of the other players tossed them into the stands or that would have been in the news as well. All I am saying is that they took them off from around their necks and were no longer wearing them when the Canadians skated past them to shake their hands after all the medals were handed out. Disappointment all around for the Swedes.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think any of the other players tossed them into the stands or that would have been in the news as well. All I am saying is that they took them off from around their necks and were no longer wearing them when the Canadians skated past them to shake their hands after all the medals were handed out. Disappointment all around for the Swedes.
    Yea, have to say that was a hard way to lose and I thought they played a great game. So sure, that disappointment is justified. I think what he did irks me because

1. it was international play
    2. he was the Captain
    3. so many people seem to think this behavior is a reason to be MORE excited about him as a player. Which inherently means it was a "good" thing to do. And I don't think that's an appropriate thing to promote in youth hockey

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lol. To pretend this has anything to do with class or sportsmanship or to say “there’s no place for that in sports” is so typically “Canadian sports fan on their high horse”. Love to pretend like we own this sport and we alone get to dictate how players should act, what constitutes good sportsmanship and bad, what is “classy” and what isn’t.

Dude didn’t attack anyone after the game, or the refs, or attempt to interfere with Canada’s celebration. He threw a medal away that he didn’t want. Better to someone in the stands than in the garbage. Who cares. Love the faux outrage though. People on their high horses only forgetting it’s actually a miniature pony.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I don't think it's something that needs to become a story, but honestly I consider this to be total garbage. The argument saying "this means he's a fierce competitor!" is also total garbage. If anyone can convince me that this act means Andersson is a better competitor, has more heart, hates losing more, etc than the rest of his teammates who DIDN'T throw their medal, I promise I'll paypal you 10 bucks.

These kids are the elite of the elite. He was the Captain and representing his country on the biggest youth hockey stage there is. The entire point of being a captain is to promote sportsmanship, leadership, and respect. And so you throw your medal into the stands? Ok. Maybe you should just play better and win gold. If not, be proud of what you and your teammates accomplished.

Yes he's young, and that's why he did it so it's not fair to judge his character. But for fans to glorify it or justify it in any way is just wrong. There is no place for this in sports.. His behavior spits on the entire spirit of international competition. International play is completely different than a junior game or SEL game. He's going to regret this so much as he grows up.
    Great post. Completely agree with everything except your last sentence. After listening to his interview after the game, I sincerely doubt he will regret this move as he grows up (if he ever does - some guys never do, just ask their wives! lol).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

I concur.

I would not expect that kind of behaviour from a team captain in the biggest international tournament for their age.

If Team Canada had lost and Jordan Kyrou did what Andersson did - would we be speaking of Kyrou as a warrior that we would want on our hockey teams? Any other player on Team Canada for that matter.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lol. To pretend this has anything to do with class or sportsmanship or to say “there’s no place for that in sports” is so typically “Canadian sports fan on their high horse”. Love to pretend like we own this sport and we alone get to dictate how players should act, what constitutes good sportsmanship and bad, what is “classy” and what isn’t.

Dude didn’t attack anyone after the game, or the refs, or attempt to interfere with Canada’s celebration. He threw a medal away that he didn’t want. Better to someone in the stands than in the garbage. Who cares. Love the faux outrage though. People on their high horses only forgetting it’s actually a miniature pony.
    I think you're off the mark. I'm guessing rtstr would have said the same thing had Canada won silver and one of their players threw their medal in the stands. He's making a point about sportsmanship in general, not nationality.

Dobber Sports Ninja

All I see are people who didn't like what they saw, that's not "outrage". If you can't see how this act lacked class, then you are truly just a troll. Someone gives you an award and you throw it away right in front of the people/organization giving the award and all the fans? That's the very opposite of classy.

So the dude didn't act up after the game, that would come under sportsmanship, so I agree, he's not a "poor sport". Also, I happen to like miniature ponies. You Sir, are a Shetland shamer. For shame.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

Let's be clear, I for one am not condoning Lias Andersson's behavior, I don't necessarily think it was the right thing to do. But let's not pretend like he wickidly threw the medal into the crowd and sought the nearest corner to cross his arms, purse his lips and go "MMMPHHH!!". He underhanded the thing to a fan who would of enjoyed it more than anything. Now, what he SHOULD have done is give it to someone behind the scenes then it wouldn't have been a story at all.

I understand what the kid is feeling, well not really but it's at a height of emotions. I'm sure the medal is in someone else's hands already though.

Dobber Sports Pro

Nice attempt at the generalization but I'm from New Jersey LOL so not totally sure if I'm your "typical Canadian sports fan". Reach back into your bag of carbon-copy-know-everything-responses and play again!

Dobber Sports Stud

I think the Canadian media (and hockey fans in general) are blowing this whole thing up.

Yes, the kid was upset about loosing after outplaying CAN for most of the game.
    Yes, it was a poor decision "in the moment" but don't forget these kids are "under 20".
    Yes, the kid has passion and doesn't like to loose - ya gotta love that.
    Will he regret tossing it away in the manner he did - I'm sure he already does.

The fact he got the medal back to store in a box in the back of a closet doesn't take away from Team SWE's accomplishment. He will realize that when he is older.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports All-Star

The win at all costs, and 2nd place is for losers attitude is not something younger players should emulate IMO. I agree that owners and some of the more rabid fans may believe this 2nd place is worthless attitude is a positive attribute, but all I see is a disappointing display of poor sportsmanship that sets an extremely poor example for all kids in sports. Lias Andersson should be proud of Sweden's Silver Medal performance. The entire Swedish team and management should hold their head high and forever hold dear the memory of the extraordinarily deep run they made at the 2017-18 World Junior Championship. That silver medal should have been a cherished family heirloom to be handed down with pride from generation to generation. You battle hard and leave everything on the ice, but when the game is over you should genuinely take pride in your experience and accomplishments win or lose. This type of behavior, and those who condone and celebrate it, ruin the true spirit of sport.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Sage

Glad you wrote it because this is definitely what I was thinking. And I hardly ever agree with Rataylor.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov