Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Karlsson's next team

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Karlsson's next team

Surprised people are so confident he's staying. The comparisons to Stammer's negotiation are null and void IMO, because Tampa doesn't have a hot-head, meddling, cheapskate owner, and Tampa is also a long-term contender. I think he gets traded, I doubt Melynuk dusts off his wallet to pay EK what he's worth.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Taco97 View Post
    Surprised people are so confident he's staying. The comparisons to Stammer's negotiation are null and void IMO, because Tampa doesn't have a hot-head, meddling, cheapskate owner, and Tampa is also a long-term contender. I think he gets traded, I doubt Melynuk dusts off his wallet to pay EK what he's worth.
    they will pay. They have kept and signed every player they wanted to. This is a complete no discussion in my opinion, just media needing something to talk about

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    they will pay. They have kept and signed every player they wanted to. This is a complete no discussion in my opinion, just media needing something to talk about
    Yeah, cause being too cheap to re-sign Turris and trading him for a cancer instead worked out really well....

Dobber Sports Pro

exactly my thoughts as I read all these "he stays" posts.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    exactly my thoughts as I read all these "he stays" posts.
    I wouldn't want to play for that dink Melynuk, especially after his comments before the classic. I think he's running the franchise into the ground.

Yeah, cause being too cheap to resign Turris and trading him for a cancer worked out really well....
    they preferred to have Duchene as he had an extra year and is the better player, despite the stats so far (completely unfair to judge a trade after a month anyway). They could not afford to sign Turris long term not because of money but because of the cap. Stone and karlsson are getting big raises. Won't even touch that last comment as that is just wrong to say. It would have been foolish to sign Turris to that contract, which would have been more money in Ottawa due to taxes.

I wouldn't want to play for that dink Melynuk, especially after his comments before the classic. I think he's running the franchise into the ground.
    didn't stop every other player from signing extensions in the last few years. Players don't interact with owners, they don't really care. Melnyk will be gone soOn anyway, everybody knows it

Dobber Sports Ace

In my opinion (unpopular as it may be), Karlsson is not worth what he will demand. He had the perfect situation in Ottawa that he won't find anywhere else. He was given the 'key to the city', as it were. The forwards on the Senators weren't good enough (compared to the other teams) to carry most of the offensive duties, so they relied upon Karlsson more to do the heavy lifting. He had full cooperation from everyone in the Senators organization from the owner(s), team management, coaches and the players. Some of that has changed now and we're seeing how Karlsson does without all of the help he had before.

Mike Green was in a similar situation when he was with the Capitals - we are seeing now how his stats look like without all of the help he was receiving before.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    In my opinion (unpopular as it may be), Karlsson is not worth what he will demand. He had the perfect situation in Ottawa that he won't find anywhere else. He was given the 'key to the city', as it were. The forwards on the Senators weren't good enough (compared to the other teams) to carry most of the offensive duties, so they relied upon Karlsson more to do the heavy lifting. He had full cooperation from everyone in the Senators organization from the owner(s), team management, coaches and the players. Some of that has changed now and we're seeing how Karlsson does without all of the help he had before.

Mike Green was in a similar situation when he was with the Capitals - we are seeing now how his stats look like without all of the help he was receiving before.
    A similar situation?!? Mike Green had Ovi, Backstrom and Semin all putting up PPG+ numbers on an insanely offensive Capitals team, that's how Green got all those points. How on Earth is that (or Green himself) comparable in the slightest to the situation in Ottawa? Green was not the focal point relied on to carry the offence or 'given the keys to the city'. He was a secondary/complimentary player on a team stacked with offensive talent. Comparing Karlsson to Mike Green in any way shape or form is completely ridiculous. The gap in talent in ginormous. Karlsson is a generational talent, Mike Green is a washed up bum that wasn't even half as talented as Karlsson even in his prime.

Dobber Sports Jedi

you mean Methot?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Similar ice-time, similar production, different playing style.

There are few that would agree with me because it is not what the masses agree with, but I do not think that Erik Karlsson is a generational Defenceman. I am not arguing his talents, I am not arguing his point totals - I am saying that in my opinion - and I speak only for myself, He is not one of the best defencemen of all-time. There is more to being a defenceman than putting up points.

If he was one of the greatest defencemen of all-time, we would see it almost every game - I, for one, do not see it that often. He was pretty damn good in many aspects of his game in last year's playoffs in most games - I will say that.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Jedi

Similar ice-time, similar production, different playing style.

There are few that would agree with me because it is not what the masses agree with, but I do not think that Erik Karlsson is a generational Defenceman. I am not arguing his talents, I am not arguing his point totals - I am saying that in my opinion - and I speak only for myself, He is not one of the best defencemen of all-time. There is more to being a defenceman than putting up points.

If he was one of the greatest defencemen of all-time, we would see it almost every game - I, for one, do not see it that often. He was pretty damn good in many aspects of his game in last year's playoffs in most games - I will say that.
    I won't argue the merits of either side of this.. he plays for Ottawa, so I care little...

regardless of his generational status, he's going to get 10+m and i'd put odds of him resigning in Ott at 75%

Dobber Sports Pro

I think Karlsson wants to win, and knows that last season was the closest he'll ever get to winning in Ottawa.
    On top of that Ottawa is currently a cap team, which was not planned it just sort of happened in a desperate shot at winning a cup, props for trying, but they cant remain a capped out team.
    So how will they possibly shave 5-10 mill off there cap while signing Karlsson to a 10+ mill/yr contract? By trading away all there other good players of course, which will not be helpful towards winning.
    So Karlsson can be loyal, get paid, and lose. Or leave, get paid, and maybe win.

just my 2 cents on how Karlsson is thinking.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Superstar

Karlsson took a discount on his last contract during his prime years in Ottawa. There is zero chance he takes a discount to play anywhere on his next contract.

He will make as much money as he can on his next contract to try and make up for that discount and it will be wherever they will pay him.

Personally, unless Melnyk is gone, I don't think it will be in Ottawa. If Melnyk's out and the next owner is willing to spend, that changes things, but that's hypothetical at this point.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Karlsson took a discount on his last contract during his prime years in Ottawa. There is zero chance he takes a discount to play anywhere on his next contract.

He will make as much money as he can on his next contract to try and make up for that discount and it will be wherever they will pay him.

Personally, unless Melnyk is gone, I don't think it will be in Ottawa. If Melnyk's out and the next owner is willing to spend, that changes things, but that's hypothetical at this point.
    I can't see an NHL team being shopped behind closed doors selling in a seven month period.