Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Contentious Trade-Savvy or Ridonkulous?

The Great One

Default Contentious Trade-Savvy or Ridonkulous?

So Im in a keep 6 league with a26 man roster. Someone offered me their top ten picks next season for Stamkos... and I accepted- lol!

I know I wont get a Stamkos quality player- but my logic was that in a 16 team league with 26 man teams- we are rostering some real junk players at the bottom. I feel like even though it cost Stamkos and any shot this season- I could insulate my keepers with actual talent next year and that would (hopefully) make up the difference. I then of course decided to trade every non-keeper commodity I had for picks.

I have some odds and ends I can still trade but looking at basically moving forward with:

Tavares, Keller, Hischier, Forsberg, Werenski and MacAvoy.

* I also knabbed Tolvanen, Pettersen and Yamamoto in case any of them styart to get Keller-esque hype before the seasons over.

Out of 20 draft rounds I have,

1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8, and 9.

So was this brilliant or stupid? I know you should never trade a commodity like Stamkos- but the multiple upgrades Ill get with the earlier picks are very significant. I was not winning this season anyways- and I feel like this gives me a very serious edge next year at the cost of one player (albeit a very, very good one). I did my own research/math prior to accepting but Im curious what the general consensus is out there. Im guessing it wont be especially favorable- but I can handle the criticism and would rather hear the feedback to see if theres something I missed in my rationale.

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Contentious Trade-Savvy or Ridonkulous?

I personally see this as you have traded quality for quantity. It'll all depend on what you do with your picks but count me as skeptical for now.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Jedi

I don't even really care if this is defined as savvy or ridonkulous... This is just epic-ally awesome. FINALLY a fantasy hockey social experiment to follow! You must bump this thread at the draft and give periodic updates as to how this turns out.

Tons of research into the draft you could make a couple solid steals... Love that you had the balls to accept and pull this off! REP TO YOU!
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    I personally see this as you have traded quality for quantity. It'll all depend on what you do with your picks but count me as skeptical for now.
    Oh I agree- and Im not going to argue too much right now- but by my thinking- it will likely end up as 10 legit assets- with a chance at some real talent in the first couple rounds. This will be an interesting thread to bookmark so i can update next season after the draft. I would have never planned on this trade- but it seemed almost impossible to refuse when it came through my inbox. I almost feel guilty to be honest- unless Im missing something it should be pretty easy to get those points back- and thats assuming he stayhealthy next season as well. Dont get me wrong I LOVE Stammer- but sheesh- thats a lot of picks...

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I like this trade only if you had 0 chance of winning this year....

to get a second pick in each of the first 10 rounds is extremely nice to have for next year.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I like this trade only if you had 0 chance of winning this year....

to get a second pick in each of the first 10 rounds is extremely nice to have for next year.
    Yea I dont think I had a real shot this year- I was busy early in the season and missed out on some key FA acquisitions early on- and in this format especially I think that had a huge impact on my season. When you draft so deep AND start so much of your roster its important to get productive bodies. Im used to being in deep leagues- but its different when you have a deep bench and/or a farm system. So yea- I dont think I had a realistic shot and on top of that I think this owner probably intended to spam this offer out for a superstar and wanted to be the one to press accept- lol!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't have experience in limited keepers, so if someone can please let me know if I'm wrong here... but....

The top 150 or so players are kept in this league. So while you get an extra pick in the "1st" round isn't that really like getting an extra pick in the... *does math* 6th (ish) round? So essentially you're getting an extra pick in rounds 6-16 (not counting the other trades you made obviously, just focusing on the Stamkos deal).

Again, it will all obviously matter on what you do with those picks, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this being a good move. But take my feedback with a grain of salt, again, due to my lack of limited keeper experience.

14 Team H2H Cap

FARM NOTABLES:

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think a key question to ask is if prospects are included in this re-draft

Dobber Sports Jedi

here's the 1st round picks from my 12 team - keep 10 - excluding prospects that went -

bishop, hellebuyk, saad, granlund, turris, skinner, faulk, rakell, radulov, parayko...

so top 120 players kept, no positional requirements

The Great One

I don't have experience in limited keepers, so if someone can please let me know if I'm wrong here... but....

The top 150 or so players are kept in this league. So while you get an extra pick in the "1st" round isn't that really like getting an extra pick in the... *does math* 6th (ish) round? So essentially you're getting an extra pick in rounds 6-16 (not counting the other trades you made obviously, just focusing on the Stamkos deal).

Again, it will all obviously matter on what you do with those picks, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this being a good move. But take my feedback with a grain of salt, again, due to my lack of limited keeper experience.
    Thats correct.

Its 16 teams- keep 6- so the first round is essentially the 97th best option (theoretically).

Like I said a key factor for me is that we start like 20 of our 26 man roster- so those bottom spots need to be productive. Even the top teams this year have had to roster players that put up bagels all week because our active rosters run so deep. To me its more of a factor than in leagues where you have a deep bench or farm system. This format caught me off guard but I really feel like its going to be a very decisive advantage by next year. In theory anyways- and open to arguments to the contrary...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    here's the 1st round picks from my 12 team - keep 10 - excluding prospects that went -

bishop, hellebuyk, saad, granlund, turris, skinner, faulk, rakell, radulov, parayko...

so top 120 players kept, no positional requirements
    Yea thats my thinking so now if I could grab like 4 guys with names like that- Im pretty close to replacing Stammer-and I still have higher picks coming back after the 1st round. keep in mind Im replacing names at the bottom like Pyatt, Gunnarson, Caligulla, Crouse- just a random sampling of the neames that get rostered AND played in a league of this format.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sorry, I don't know why or how, but I used 26 as the number of teams, not the roster size. Math is obviously off in that case. I'm anxious to follow your draft next year.

14 Team H2H Cap

FARM NOTABLES:

Dobber Sports Jedi

Sorry, I don't know why or how, but I used 26 as the number of teams, not the roster size. Math is obviously off in that case. I'm anxious to follow your draft next year.
    meet the not so supermario

Dobber Sports Jedi

this other guy is totally screwed next year... I don't see them changing the rule, cuz I don't see anyone wanting to end up with a team like he's going to have. Best part.. Stammer may not give him the win

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    meet the not so supermario
    LOOL

14 Team H2H Cap

FARM NOTABLES: