Thread: Ferland vs. Fiala

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ferland vs. Fiala

I'm looking to balance out my team by adding a depth LW (probably at the expense of JT Miller given my excess centers). Both Ferland and Fiala are available on waivers, and I'm debating which one to pickup. I'm low on PIMs, so does that tip the scales in favour of Ferland?
    Redraft 12-team Roto with 1 waiver/day ($5), start 3 at each F position, 5 D, 1 rookie, 2 Goalies, 5 Reserves
    Player Cats = G,A,Pts,PIMs,+/- (PIMs worth 50%, and +/- worth 25% compared to the other player cats)
    Goalie Cats (worth half what player cats are) = W,GAA,S%,SO (SO worth 25% of what player cats are)
    C: Tavares,Thomas,Johnston,Lindholm(Res),Zacha(Res)
    LW: Robertson,Fiala,Svechnikov,Lafreniere(Res)
    RW: Nylander,Necas,Reinhart
    Rook: Knies,Carlsson(Res)
    D: Josi,Bouchard,Weegar,Forsling,Hanifin,Durzi(Res)
    G:Hellebuyck,Demko

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Ferland vs. Fiala

if you need PIM, find someone else. If you want offense, Fiala is a safer bet to continue production. with PIM, is there not a better PIM option than Ferland? I mean he has 7 in 20 games. Kessel has 22 (Fiala has 6)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For sure there are better pure PIMs options, but they're terrible in everything else. My thinking was if there wasn't much between Ferland and Fiala to pick between them, then maybe PIMs would be a tiebreaker - my thinking was that Ferland was more of a power forward. But looking a little deeper, there may not even be much difference between them in PIMs anyway. Fiala's goal total is crappy compared to Ferland, but it looks like his two goals are recent now that he appears to be playing with Turris.
    Redraft 12-team Roto with 1 waiver/day ($5), start 3 at each F position, 5 D, 1 rookie, 2 Goalies, 5 Reserves
    Player Cats = G,A,Pts,PIMs,+/- (PIMs worth 50%, and +/- worth 25% compared to the other player cats)
    Goalie Cats (worth half what player cats are) = W,GAA,S%,SO (SO worth 25% of what player cats are)

Dobber Sports Sage

Can you stream between them? Id start with Ferland even though he's put up goose eggs the last few games. If he's on PP1 and line 1 he's my choice for now.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by coffee View Post
    For sure there are better pure PIMs options, but they're terrible in everything else. My thinking was if there wasn't much between Ferland and Fiala to pick between them, then maybe PIMs would be a tiebreaker - my thinking was that Ferland was more of a power forward. But looking a little deeper, there may not even be much difference between them in PIMs anyway. Fiala's goal total is crappy compared to Ferland, but it looks like his two goals are recent now that he appears to be playing with Turris.
    Ferland's periph value is more in hitting, so yes he's a power forward and a good one. He just stays out of the box . Fiala's offence I like on a long term basis. Personally, I'd rather have Fiala on a 2nd line over Ferland floating up on Cgy's top line. I just don't buy him being a full season producer.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Our waivers are limited - basically they cost $5 each, so that means streaming is very expensive. Plus this is for my backup LW for depth only (for now). Nothing forcing me to pick up either, so could wait and see. But there are so few good wingers on waivers that I thought it might be good to pluck one of those two before someone else notices they're doing pretty well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I guess I should mention that Sven Baertschi is also available, but I'm not sure I should buy into much on Vancouver. Having said that, what he and they have doing has been pretty good...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd probably go with Ferland here but don't spend too much time thinking about it. You're not gaining or losing that much either way.