Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Sorry Axe, but the Soilers are back

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelace View Post
    Really good post. Edmonton’s poor developmental approach has in essence ruined a lot of their players over the past decade. It’s very sad but true what’s been outlined here.
    kinda goes with what I said early... outside of those elite 1st round picks, they've busted basically every prospect in their system. whether that's from poor development or poor drafting I can't say. But they don't have any top 6 forwards or top 4 d in the system knocking on anyone's door.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    kinda goes with what I said early... outside of those elite 1st round picks, they've busted basically every prospect in their system. whether that's from poor development or poor drafting I can't say. But they don't have any top 6 forwards or top 4 d in the system knocking on anyone's door.
    You’re right. Today’s oilers are equivalent to Arizona if you delete McDavid. At least the coyotes have some fantastic prospects going forward.

Dobber Sports Jedi

You’re right. Today’s oilers are equivalent to Arizona if you delete McDavid. At least the coyotes have some fantastic prospects going forward.
    doesn't that make them not equivalent? if Arz has prospects coming and Edm doesn't ?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

doesn't that make them not equivalent? if Arz has prospects coming and Edm doesn't ?
    Meant their present active roster is equivalent if the Oilers don’t have McDavid. But overall depth, you’re right, ARZ is in way better shape.

Not sure what makes me more nervous, the Oilers future, or the fact that this site’s alltime highest poster is a bias Oilers homer that can’t see his team’s reality.

Dobber Sports Deity

Really good post. Edmonton’s poor developmental approach has in essence ruined a lot of their players over the past decade. It’s very sad but true what’s been outlined here.
    Again, you say a lot of players ruined in Edmonton yet when I questioned you, the only name mentioned was Yakupov. Who are these other "a lot" of players ruined?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

They haven't ruined anyone.

Besides their first overall picks they don't draft well at all.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Again, you say a lot of players ruined in Edmonton yet when I questioned you, the only name mentioned was Yakupov. Who are these other "a lot" of players ruined?
    See the last six posts before you from three different people.

Bad at developing prospects, bad at icing an overall competitive team. Ruined!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    They haven't ruined anyone.

Besides their first overall picks they don't draft well at all.
    Exactly, and we can say that about a lot of NHL teams.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

they weren't' ruined, anyone drafted high has turned out... but that's the problem, they're the only ones that have turned out. There's massive flaws in their drafting department. if the player doesn't scream sure thing they can't make contact. The Oilers are basically an Adam Dunn front office. It's either a homerun, or a strike out. Not too many singles, doubles or triples being hit in that organization. They're not alone either, that's for sure.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

they weren't' ruined, anyone drafted high has turned out... but that's the problem, they're the only ones that have turned out. There's massive flaws in their drafting department. if the player doesn't scream sure thing they can't make contact. The Oilers are basically an Adam Dunn front office. It's either a homerun, or a strike out. Not too many singles, doubles or triples being hit in that organization. They're not alone either, that's for sure.
    And sadly, the home runs are from fastballs lobbed over the middle of the plate.

The Great One

Exactly, and we can say that about a lot of NHL teams.
    Agreed.

It's what separates the great teams nowadays in this salary cap era.

Dobber Sports Jedi

See the last six posts before you from three different people.

Bad at developing prospects, bad at icing an overall competitive team. Ruined!
    I never said they ruined anyone... an argument could be made for yak as he was showing progression but the revolving door of new head coaches every year didn't help....

IMO... its more a failure in drafting & developing vs. ruining anyone. When a prospect never develops how do you determine he's been ruined by the team vs. just didn't have the NHL make-up? Hopefully Edm addresses this while McDavid's still young, otherwise they won't have any kids to come in and help him... Benson? Yamamoto? maybe... that's it and neither are sure things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I never said they ruined anyone... an argument could be made for yak as he was showing progression but the revolving door of new head coaches every year didn't help....

IMO... its more a failure in drafting & developing vs. ruining anyone. When a prospect never develops how do you determine he's been ruined by the team vs. just didn't have the NHL make-up? Hopefully Edm addresses this while McDavid's still young, otherwise they won't have any kids to come in and help him... Benson? Yamamoto? maybe... that's it and neither are sure things.
    Ruined in this case means hindered. The oilers are just bad throughout less McDavid. The only thing they haven’t ruined are obvious first overall picks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Whos career has been ruined by the Oilers?
    Yakupov - 1st over all... bust
    Hall - 1st overall ... failed to surround him with competent talent, apparently developed a bad attitude, traded him for less nickels on the dollar. Now he?s flourishing
    Eberle - riding the wave of his junior success and rookie explosion... ended up being a cancer they needed to rid themselves of... traded for pennies on the dollar. Starting to excel again now away from Edmonton
    RNH - 1st over all... came In with huge expectations... 3rd Line Centre now... on a near last place team. And also looking to be traded away.
    Schultz - don’t need to comment here... this is near Yakupov territory.

Ruining careers? Maybe that’s harsh (ok fine), stunting careers... pretty clear. Don’t worry RNH, you’ll likely get to find your footing again soon when they move you.
    Last edited by havanablast21; February 12, 2018 at 8:23 PM. Reason: Ruined opportunities. Stunted careers.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Ruined in this case means hindered. The oilers are just bad throughout less McDavid. The only thing they haven’t ruined are obvious first overall picks
    feels like your defining the word to fit your needs vs. what the word means. Lucic is still Lucic since coming to Edm. Larsson's still a top end shut down Dman since coming to Edm. they took a back up goalie in Talbot and he nabbed 42 wins last year, Maroon scored 27 goals since coming to Edm, a career high... Sekera hasn't seen his play diminish since arriving.

more properly put, their track record of putting a competitive team on the ice is awful. There's very little evidence to support they ruin most. The issues are in the front office and the scouting/development departments.