Thread: Fowler vs. Rielly - who ya got?

The Great One

Default Fowler vs. Rielly - who ya got?

For my first Cage Match of 2017-18, I figured why not take on two young #1 defensemen whose fantasy output has lagged behind their real world importance, at least thus far - Cam Fowler and Morgan Rielly: http://www.dobberhockey.com/latest/c...morgan-rielly/

Is either one capable of becoming a #1 rearguard who also stuffs the stat sheet (like a Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, or Alex Pietrangelo) rather than d-men (like Marc-Edouard Vlasic or Alex Goligoski) whose significance in fantasy pales in comparison to what they bring to their real world team. Is Fowler more than the 35-40 point guy he's been to date? Can Rielly step into a more offensively-favored role despite the presence of Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev?

The column takes on those questions and more, so be sure to give it a read and then come back here to voice your opinion about the column and what you think about each player.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Fowler vs. Rielly - who ya got?

I like your conclusion!

"5th year breakout for Rielly in 2017-18, anyone? I'd give him a good chance at 40-50 points with good shot rate and decent peripherals if he can manage to stay on the PP. Hard to believe he just turned 23 years old. Seems like he has been around a long time." -BMP April 24, 2017

Keep up the good work Morgan!

The Great One

These early season matches are tricky. I almost wish Rielly hadn't posted those two points last night so it would've been closer on paper. I remember last year I decided to do Killorn vs. Anisimov when both had hot starts. Of course between the time I started writing and when the column got published, Anisimov proceeds to post something like 8 points in his next 4 games and Killorn goes scoreless, making the match look completely lopsided. Oh well - what can you do.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out with Rielly. The talent apparently has always been there but it's been a chicken and egg situation where he needs not just the Ice Time but also the PP Time in order to truly succeed. Now that he's stepped up, I'm guessing it will be very unlikely for the team to go back to the way it was using him last year, which led to his terrible stats.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    It will be interesting to see how things shake out with Rielly. The talent apparently has always been there but it's been a chicken and egg situation where he needs not just the Ice Time but also the PP Time in order to truly succeed. Now that he's stepped up, I'm guessing it will be very unlikely for the team to go back to the way it was using him last year, which led to his terrible stats.
    I could not agree more. Rielly took his hazing (that is basically what it was) like a man last year and now he is being put in a position to succeed, which he is. I know a lot of people have been down on him, but I really think he is a special player who will make some people eat their words about him.

The Great One

Like I said in another Rielly thread...I've been drafting him every year in every league I've played in for the last three seasons. Sometimes he ended up dropped but was always contributing. He's too good and Babcock is too smart of a coach to not end up with what we are looking at now. Every time I see him play I enjoy it because he is such a smart skilled guy. Soooo much fun to have guys like that on the fantasy roster...doubly so when they get the opportunity they deserve!!
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ace

I actually just picked up Rielly about 4 hrs ago. Been watching him last couple days. Liked what been seeing. Good read on the cage match.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Interesting cage match. Well done.

Call me a masochist but I’m taking Rielly, again.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I really want Rielly on my team.
    10 Team Yahoo 8 Keeper league(H2H) - Re-drated this year
    18-19 - Champion
    19-20 - Champion
    21-22 - Champion
    22-23 - Champion

2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G (4B, 1IR, 2IR+)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO, 4 Minimum

C: Tavares, Stutzle(LW), Kyrou(RW)
    LW: Guentzel, E.Kane
    RW: M.Tkachuck(LW), Meier(LW), Konecny(LW)
    D: McAvoy, Dobson, Chychrun, Trouba, Mintyukov

G: Hellebuyck, Gustavsson, Husso

IR+: Montour
    IR+: Laine(C,LW,RW)