Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Price vs SJ or Brossoit vs CAR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Price vs SJ or Brossoit vs CAR

Both teams and starters have struggled... but Brossoit has been OK in relief... who to start?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Price vs SJ or Brossoit vs CAR

Price vs SJ. SJ has struggled and Price is still Price. Oilers don't have Draisaitl or Sekera.

Don't overthink this one. Price was a very high draft pick and Brossoit was probably a late round flier or a waiver pickup. Start your stud.

Dobber Sports Genius

Why have Price on your team if you are going to question starting him over another team's unproven backup goalie?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Pro

I will point out that Vegas disagrees with me. They have Montreal +105 and Edmonton -125. So if you are mainly looking for a win then MAYBE Brossoit makes sense?

I would still go 100% Price if it were me and wouldn't give it a second thought.

Administrator

Price

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Price.

Penguin Hunter's 8 Reasons Why:

1) When did you draft price? Probably early or he was a keeper.
    2) When did you draft Brossoit? PRobably never drafted him.
    3) Montreal will start scoring sometime and will help Price out!
    4) Edmonton hasn't been lights out and winning EVERY game this year... so there is no guarantee win for the backup.
    5) Edmonton is missing Draisatl.
    6) San Jose has only 8 goals in 4 GP - I know there is a potential breakout here...
    7) I would never choose to start a backup tendy over an all-world tendy at this stage of their respective careers.
    8) I could live with myself if I start Price and Brossoit has a great game.... but I CANNOT live with myself if I start Brossoit and he gives up 6 goals and loses and Price posts a 30 save shutout.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks I realize now it's just an odds game and Price still has the best odds. What's the deal with draft position, though? This is a dynasty league and I traded for Price and got Brossoit for free, so the cost was much higher for Price, but even still that's in the past. Why should that come into consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    Thanks I realize now it's just an odds game and Price still has the best odds. What's the deal with draft position, though? This is a dynasty league and I traded for Price and got Brossoit for free, so the cost was much higher for Price, but even still that's in the past. Why should that come into consideration?
    Edmonton Oilers draft Connor McDavid 1st overall.... they draft Skyler Brind'Amour ..... are you going to consider starting Brind'Amour instead of McDavid? They have invested more into McDavid... so they are going to stick with their high investment than take a risk on the later investment.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Edmonton Oilers draft Connor McDavid 1st overall.... they draft Skyler Brind'Amour ..... are you going to consider starting Brind'Amour instead of McDavid? They have invested more into McDavid... so they are going to stick with their high investment than take a risk on the later investment.
    That doesn't apply here. It's fantasy hockey, not real life. In fantasy you just go for the win no matter the circumstances. Nobody's feelings will get hurt. Price is the play here because he's better, not because of the investment at some point in the distant past.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    That doesn't apply here. It's fantasy hockey, not real life. In fantasy you just go for the win no matter the circumstances. Nobody's feelings will get hurt. Price is the play here because he's better, not because of the investment at some point in the distant past.
    I would argue it does apply here... we are early in the season... you go for the win and the best way to get the win is to go with the better player.... and sample sizes between the start of the season and now are too small to say that Brossoit is better than Price.

I realize that you may have owned both goalies for a while and not drafted them because it is a keeper league.... but in my keeper league I always use single season draft values as a determining factor in who my better players are. We cannot say that Price = Brossoit because they are both on my keeper league and I have owned them for 3 years.

My usage of draft value and where players are drafted is to show that most people think Price is the better goalie 20 days ago before the season started... trust this and play him rather than trying to get to cute with which goalie to start.

The Great One

Can we just settle the argument and say Price as he’s the better own - though what I will say is Edmonton have hardly been on fire themselves
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Administrator

Since this is a dynasty league, A LOT of shit happens over the years. Suppose Brossoit is a former 1st round pick and Price was somehow accidentally dropped and acquired via waiver claim. Or, suppose Price was acquired in a stupid lopsided trade because the other owner overreacted to Price being 30 and on a less-than-ideal team. The "investment" is different but doesn't take away from the fact that Price is better which is the point I've been making from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Can we just settle the argument and say Price as he’s the better own - though what I will say is Edmonton have hardly been on fire themselves
    There is no argument... just different ways of seeing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Since this is a dynasty league, A LOT of shit happens over the years. Suppose Brossoit is a former 1st round pick and Price was somehow accidentally dropped and acquired via waiver claim. Or, suppose Price was acquired in a stupid lopsided trade because the other owner overreacted to Price being 30 and on a less-than-ideal team. The "investment" is different but doesn't take away from the fact that Price is better which is the point I've been making from the start.
    I agree... thats why I said revert back to the current year ADP or draft value.... if we drafted fresh this year... we would draft Price early and Brossoit late....

I guess this is a term used in fantasy football more often because of matchups... but the point is still the same.... you draft Tom Brady in round 3, but he plays Denver week 1.... do you start him? Yes!

Price is the better goalie (who would have been drafted way ahead of Brossoit) and it is still only week 2 of the season... he plays a tougher matchup.... do you start him? YES!

Administrator

Well, if we have to push it that far I wouldn't say San Jose is the tougher match-up here

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think all that matters is the likelihood to get the best stats out of the guy on he given night in question. You could use draft position or cost to evaluate who is better, but it’s not the draft position or cost that matters, it’s who is better. Price has struggled and so has the team. I don’t think draft position has anything to do with probability for success on this one night, directly, but if used as an indicator for who is better then I see your point.