Thread: Is he worth the risk?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Is he worth the risk?

Jesper Bratt.

Points only pool. We are only allowed two waiver pickups for the year. Intuitively, using one of them on Bratt would be unwise.

The flip side is that no stars are ever available in the pool. Owners grab them young and hold onto them forever.

I am not sure if Bratt will ever be a star, but does he have a shot at 50 this year? Again, intuitively the answer is no, but NJ is undergoing a transition from a defensive team to an offensive one, and is relying tremendously on young players. In respect of the latter, they remind me, at this point, of Toronto last year. Their rookies are getting real opportunities (i.e. Hischier, Bratt, Butcher), much like a long leash was given to Matthews, Marner and Nylander last year. If this is the prevailing philosophy in NJ, the seeing Bratt reach 50 is not a stretch.

OTOH, if Bratt fizzles, he could be sent to the minors. I have seen him play, and I do not believe there is much risk of this, as he works hard every shift. Still, it is a possibilty.

If I don't grab him soon, someone else will. If I grab him too soon, I may have burnt one of my only two waiver wire picks for nothing if he fails to produce.

If he does produce, and I grab him, he would hold significantly higher trade value than his actual worth.

Any thoughts?
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Is he worth the risk?

I'd go for it. He's getting tons of ice including PP time and fits in well in NJs top 6. By the description of your waiver wire, it's either a gamble now or a gamble later. I like what I've seen from him, despite how far under the radar he flew

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Seems a little soon to use one of only two moves for year.
    I think these basically HAVE to be saved for injuries...

Dobber Sports Ace

He's working out so far and pretty decent revamp for NJ. but it's early.
    Marcus Johansson, Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt is a solid line to be on.
    If he sticks to this line then ya 45-50 is good expectation.

If you have space it's worth the risk if u need a 45-50pt guy.
    GO 6th round pick! Go hahaha
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I wouldn't do this if you are only allowed two picks up for the year.
    Bratt has been playing well but I believe he's filling for a gimpy Kyle Palmieri on NJ's line 1.
    I think Palmieri takes that back once healthy.
    Agreed. But I think he could still merit a top 6 placement on the 2nd line, much like Marner did last year.
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov

The Wolverine

What if you suffer a major injury or two during the season? That's what I'd be keeping the moves for, in case of emergency.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    What if you suffer a major injury or two during the season? That's what I'd be keeping the moves for, in case of emergency.
    If I picked him, I would likely be dropping a D to get him (Streit or Ellis)
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Seeds of Grapes View Post
    If I picked him, I would likely be dropping a D to get him (Streit or Ellis)
    Would it not be more worthwhile to pick a D to replace one of them? With Theodore also not playing I would guess you would get more starts out of another D than another forward. Your sig says only the top 8 forwards count, so there's no guarantee Bratt would even crack that.

Dobber Sports Expert

Would it not be more worthwhile to pick a D to replace one of them? With Theodore also not playing I would guess you would get more starts out of another D than another forward. Your sig says only the top 8 forwards count, so there's no guarantee Bratt would even crack that.
    The best D available is Nate Schmidt. Adding Bratt could give me trading leverage on a D later on (whether I trade Bratt, or another fw (i.e. Backlund or Ryan))
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Seeds of Grapes View Post
    The best D available is Nate Schmidt. Adding Bratt could give me trading leverage on a D later on (whether I trade Bratt, or another fw (i.e. Backlund or Ryan))
    Well I'm not the type of manager who would make 1 of 2 moves for a potential trading chip. However, you know your league better than I do of course, so perceived value does go a long way. I can't comment on Bratt itself, I'm afraid. I just worry that if someone else on your squad gets hurt, you would really want those moves. I know, having Streit and Ellis puts you in a bind, but I feel like having these two moves gives you a bit of a lifeline in case things get worse.

Dobber Sports Expert

Well I'm not the type of manager who would make 1 of 2 moves for a potential trading chip. However, you know your league better than I do of course, so perceived value does go a long way. I can't comment on Bratt itself, I'm afraid. I just worry that if someone else on your squad gets hurt, you would really want those moves. I know, having Streit and Ellis puts you in a bind, but I feel like having these two moves gives you a bit of a lifeline in case things get worse.
    I hear you. That's why I am asking the question. If Bratt continues to play at even a 50 point pace, he will have trade value. I know my pool. BUT, does he continue? I have no idea.
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers: