Thread: Rantanen vs. Mantha - who ya got?

The Great One

Default Rantanen vs. Mantha - who ya got?

It's the first cage match of the 2017-18 season, and I was glad to see these guys do well in their early games since I'd already locked this in as my match before the season actually started. Here's a link to the column: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...nthony-mantha/

Give it a read and come back to share your thoughts. Do you think Mantha can overcome the apparent Ice Time limitations that I see as placing a ceiling on his output? Does Rantanen have enough "sniper" in him to stick on the top line and PP, let alone to be a sniper? What do you think of the past player comparables that I dug up? And most importantly, who are you taking for this year, and in keepers?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Rantanen vs. Mantha - who ya got?

Great Cage Match! Going in I was firmly on the Mantha side, and mostly due to Colorado being such a terrible team. My league stats still lean towards Mantha but this does allow me to see the value of Rantanen. Will keep a close eye on the 2 this year and would be great to get a follow-up on this cage match in a year or 2!
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - Hughes (C/LW), Mackinnon (C), Ek (C),
    LW - Stutzle (LW), Raymond (LW/RW), Joshua (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Giouroux (C/RW). Bjorkstrand (RW), Mantha (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Makar, Seider, L Hughes, Matheson, Faber
    G - Saros, Levi, Luukkonen
    IR -
    -------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 19 on Roster (+4 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    55 Moves Regular Season (re-set to 8 for Play-Offs)
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dobber Sports Pro

Good info. In my league with SOG and looking at their team, it's Mantha.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice Cage Match article. I'm a Rantanen owner and my only concern is whether he can become a high volume SOG guy, as reflected in your article. He fired 5 last game and is at 9 over first 3 games, which bodes well, but it's early. In order for him to be successful as Mack's primary winger, both at ES but especially on PP1, he MUST develop into a true sniper, and that means he'll have no choice but to fire lots more rubber. For that reason, I see him being a reasonably high volume shooter through his peak years - think average of around 2.8/game with high points of 3.2 or so - and that should translate to consistent 30+ goal production. What's most exciting though is his natural (and underrated) playmaking and passing ability - that could vault him into consistent 65-75 point performance in his primary years and make him highly valuable in both points only and multicat leagues.

UPDATE: And for the record, in my league, I would not trade Rantanen for Mantha straight up.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'll go with Mantha too! Since i traded Boone Jenner to acquire him last year, i really didn't regret the move. I think his upside is huge and more ice time and responsibilities will come sooner than later!
    Keeper league - 83 500 000$ salary cap (per week) - 8 teams - set roster weekly 10F, 5D, 2G
    Points only
    Keep 23 players at the end of the season + all players on ELC

Forwards: A. Barkov, B. Boeser, M. Bourque, J. Bratt, J. Farabee, K. Fiala, A. Holtz, P. Kane, K. Kaprizov, K. Kakko, T. Konecny, P. Krebs, A. Lafrenière, D. Larkin, E. Malkin, A. Mangiapane, D. Pastrnak, J. Pelletier, J. Puljujarvi, M. Rossi, S. Stamkos, R. Thomas, M. Zibanejad

Defense: C. Addison, T. Barrie, V. Dunn, M. Rielly, B. Schneider, V. Soderstrom, J. Spence, C. York

Goalies:​ K. Kahkonen J. Oettinger, J. Saros, D. Tarasov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Nice Cage Match article. I'm a Rantanen owner and my only concern is whether he can become a high volume SOG guy, as reflected in your article. He fired 5 last game and is at 9 over first 3 games, which bodes well, but it's early. In order for him to be successful as Mack's primary winger, both at ES but especially on PP1, he MUST develop into a true sniper, and that means he'll have no choice but to fire lots more rubber. For that reason, I see him being a reasonably high volume shooter through his peak years - think average of around 2.8/game with high points of 3.2 or so - and that should translate to consistent 30+ goal production. What's most exciting though is his natural (and underrated) playmaking and passing ability - that could vault him into consistent 65-75 point performance in his primary years and make him highly valuable in both points only and multicat leagues.

UPDATE: And for the record, in my league, I would not trade Rantanen for Mantha straight up.
    I do think this is indeed the key for Rantanen. Results started to come last season when he fired pucks at the net, and lo and behold he's back at it this season. If he keeps it up that should be an encouraging sign in his further development. As for multi-cat leagues though, I think Mantha will have better value there, if the categories include physical stats. Like I said in the article, he's a nice stat stuffer already.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Waffle Jokinen View Post
    I'll go with Mantha too! Since i traded Boone Jenner to acquire him last year, i really didn't regret the move. I think his upside is huge and more ice time and responsibilities will come sooner than later!
    You did well for yourself with that trade - I happen to think Jenner is very good, but for whatever reason Torts doesn't seem to be a fan and that will hurt his output and value.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Really good read! I own both Mantha was a keeper for me then Rantanen I drafted in our redraft I was able to snag him in rd 3 of after 12 teams by 15 keepers were set.
    keeping a close eye on both and not sure who I value higher yet
    12 team with 15 keepers weekly H2H categories (G,A,P.P.P,S.O.G,F.W,Hits,Blks,Pims, G.A.A,SV%,Wins and S.O)
    C/W Schenn Lindholm Keller Namestnikov PLD schmaltz
    C Giroux Stamkos Schiefele Kadri Brassard
    W Gaudreau Okposo Mantha Gallagher Rantanen beauviller
    D Byfuglien Josi Keith Jones Gudas Ellis
    G Schnieder ​Hellebuyck
    I.R Shaw
    Prospects (25 games or less)
    Gilles

Dobber Sports Ace

I like the write up every good cage match. I agree with the victor. Rantanen is a beast. I think COL will rebound this year while AZI & VAN take over the basement dwellings.
    Mantha should have a break out soon enough but I still think Rantanen more fantasy value.
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I do think this is indeed the key for Rantanen. Results started to come last season when he fired pucks at the net, and lo and behold he's back at it this season. If he keeps it up that should be an encouraging sign in his further development. As for multi-cat leagues though, I think Mantha will have better value there, if the categories include physical stats. Like I said in the article, he's a nice stat stuffer already.
    Rantanen with a nice start, 3 pts and 13SOG in the first 4 games, let's hope it continues.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper