19 63.33%
  • Marchand

11 36.67%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Malkin or Marchand

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Malkin or Marchand

Salary cap league, roto, G, A, PPP, PIM, +/-

Malkin is PPG+ proven player but probably won't play more than 70 games. He hits every category, though. Cap hit is $9.5 (some emotional attachment )

Marchand has had just one PPG+ season at age 28/29. I'm always skeptical of such late breakouts, even if the advanced stats indicate sustainability. But even if he regresses to 65-70 points, that would still be good, given the cap savings - his cap hit is $6.125. Marchand also hits every category but PPP saw a huge spike last year. Can we expect the same going forward?

Which one do you take? I know Malkin is injury prone and that is the only reason this is even a consideration. I can use his higher PPG production and when injured, will put a lesser player in for him, which will likely result in a higher production than Marchand's full season. The cap savings are a big factor, though, in choosing Marchand.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Malkin or Marchand

Malkin >> Marchand
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Malkin >> Marchand
    Thanks. How big of a factor are his Injury history and higher cap hit?

Dobber Sports Deity

He's one of the best players in the league and is paid like he should be. There are very few players in the league with the ability to put up anything close to 100pts in the NHL and Malkin is one of them.

Injuries are a part of the game. There are few players who don't get hurt at some point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Is this a serious question?

One is one of the perennial top 5 players in the league... the other is due for a massive regression.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would go with Malkin here, but it's closer than a Kent Hehr. Canadian political jokes aside, I've always believed that you pay for your talent and find savings elsewhere. The decision is a little closer if you factor in LW vs C. I don't think Marchand is due for any great regression, but I think we've seen his upside. With Malkin, he could still hit 100 points and people wouldn't really be surprised.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Is this a serious question?

One is one of the perennial top 5 players in the league... the other is due for a massive regression.
    Kinda serious

Of course Malkin is the better player but injuries and cap space make him less desirable. I am not sure about Marchand, hence my question. Advanced stats show his production last year was not luck. Even if he regresses to 65-70 points and continues his PIMey ways, he wouldn't be much less valuable than Malkin. Look at Malkin's totals from last 5 years: highest point total is 72 and highest games played is 69.

I have Malkin, and have owned him for 10 years since our league started, and am thinking about shopping him.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Look at Malkin's totals from last 5 years: highest point total is 72 and highest games played is 69.
    Interesting numbers. Perceived value versus actual. Malkin is a player who may be worth more in name than reality. (I'm talking in fantasy terms here)
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I would go with Malkin here, but it's closer than a Kent Hehr. Canadian political jokes aside, I've always believed that you pay for your talent and find savings elsewhere. The decision is a little closer if you factor in LW vs C. I don't think Marchand is due for any great recession, but I think we've seen his upside. With Malkin, he could still hit 100 points and people wouldn't really be surprised.
    No wing vs center, just forwards in our league. What do you think Marchand settles into?

Dobber Sports Wizard

this one is hard..in H2H if you are competitive i prefer Malkin and pray his injuries happen before playoffs

Dobber Sports Ninja

No wing vs center, just forwards in our league. What do you think Marchand settles into?
    I see Marchand hitting 70-75 points without hesitation. I think he's turned the corner and realizes what he can do offensively.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I see Marchand hitting 70-75 points without hesitation. I think he's turned the corner and realizes what he can do offensively.
    See, if I was as confident in 70-75 points as you, i'd probably try to make the trade. But who was the last 28/29 year-old to have such a big breakout and keep it up?

The Great One

Why, per se, is Marchand due for a massive regression? Under Cassidy, he had 30 points in 25 games. Pause to ponder that for a minute......

Look - Malkin is perhaps the most talented and effective players in the league when healthy. Marchand is far less expensive and I think, at this point, pretty much for real. I think he might honestly be the choice here, all things considered.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Why, per se, is Marchand due for a massive regression? Under Cassidy, he had 30 points in 25 games. Pause to ponder that for a minute......

Look - Malkin is perhaps the most talented and effective players in the league when healthy. Marchand is far less expensive and I think, at this point, pretty much for real. I think he might honestly be the choice here, all things considered.
    I don't feel as confident with 25 games of PPG+ production. How do we know this is for real? Has there ever been a 28/29 year old to break out and be a PPG or close to it player after being ~0.7 PPG player before?

The Great One

I don't feel as confident with 25 games of PPG+ production. How do we know this is for real? Has there ever been a 28/29 year old to break out and be a PPG or close to it player after being ~0.7 PPG player before?
    Okay, then couple the 30 in 25 with the 50 in 50 he got last season......under Julien! He has 146 points in his last 147 games. I think Malkin is amazing - literally amazing, but there comes a time when we have to declare Marchand for real.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/