Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nick schmaltz vs jakub vrana

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Nick schmaltz vs jakub vrana

A couple of days in to the pre season/ training Camp it's looking like these 2 might end up on lines with superstars when the season starts. What is the likelyhood of Schmaltz playing with Kane and Vrana playing with OV and if it does happen, do any of them have the chance to put between 40-50pts?
    6 Team Keeper.
    Salary Cap $108M with 3 players at 75% price. Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, W= 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1

12 F, 6 D, 2 G, 8 Reserves (any position)

Forwards
    Pastrnak $8.4, Eichel $7.5, MacKinnon $9.4, Ovechkin $9.5, JT Miller $8.0, RNH $5.1, Malkin $6.1, Marchand $6.1, Rust $5.1, Stephenson $2.7, M. Raymond $0.9, Terry $7.0, Duchene $3.0, P Kane $0.0, Mittelstadt $2.5, Kreider $6.5
    Defence
    Sandin $1.4, Montour $3.5, R Andersson $4.5, Barrie $4.5, J Carlson $8.0, McAvoy $9.5, Giordano $0.8, Byram $3.8, Hedman $7.8
    Goalies
    Vasilevsky $9.5, Kuemper $5.2, F Andersen $3.4, Korpisalo $4.0

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Nick schmaltz vs jakub vrana

My guess is that Schmaltz has a better chance of sticking on a line where he can leech points off of star linemates more so than Vrana but I like Vrana a tad more in the long run.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Sage

I think Schmaltz has an excellent chance at centering the Hawks 2nd line with Kane and Sharp. Schmaltz was the best player on the ice in last night's exhibition game. Plus, he has C/LW eligibility on Yahoo if that matters to you. He is definitely a breakout candidate for me and is a guy I am targeting at the ends of drafts.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I think Schmaltz has an excellent chance at centering the Hawks 2nd line with Kane and Sharp. Schmaltz was the best player on the ice in last night's exhibition game. Plus, he has C/LW eligibility on Yahoo if that matters to you. He is definitely a breakout candidate for me and is a guy I am targeting at the ends of drafts.
    This sums up my thoughts to a T
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Schmaltz for me as well. Great opportunity and has a history of doing great in 2nd years in new leagues. I am not really sold on Vrana. He's got the pedigree but didn't improve in his second AHL season.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Vrana for me.
    I think Schmaltz would do very well on a wing, but Saad back on the LW1 with Toews/Panik.
    Most of his scoring, IIRC, and plus games last year were on the wing.

C2 is just a helluva responsibility for a young player and "looking good" in a preseason game doesn't parlay into playing 18+ min/toi against full-time NHLers.
    I don't think he's ready for C2 yet. Let him play C3 for the first half of season or find him a wing (even replacing Panik as RW1, I'd be good with).
    There's certainly no way that Q can put him down on defensive zone draws if he's only winning 30% (his FOW% last year).
    And you can't just keep the rest of the line off the ice because you don't have a dependable center. Anisimov is still the C2 guy.
    Like many other teams playing rookies with veterans, CHI is just letting fans/coaches/GMs... and especially the player get a sniff of where they want him down the road, yes, as C2.

Conversely, WAS needs to replace the scoring of MarJo and J.Will and that means they have possible a line 2 wing spot open and PP2 spot.
    That's Vrana's because WAS doesn't have solid firepower beyond the big 4+Bura.

And I much prefer rookie wingers for scoring because there's less defensive responsibility to weigh down their commitment to offense.
    So... I'll take the guy here who has a top six winger slot open for him: Vrana.
    I, personally, don't have faith that Schmaltz is ready for NHL C2 right now. (next year, maybe... later in season, maybe)
    Even if he does get the C2 gig... if he plays it right, he needs to focus on two-way play, which will limit his scoring.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Vrana for me.
    I think Schmaltz would do very well on a wing, but Saad back on the LW1 with Toews/Panik.
    Most of his scoring, IIRC, and plus games last year were on the wing.

C2 is just a helluva responsibility for a young player and "looking good" in a preseason game doesn't parlay into playing 18+ min/toi against full-time NHLers.
    I don't think he's ready for C2 yet. Let him play C3 for the first half of season or find him a wing (even replacing Panik as RW1, I'd be good with).
    There's certainly no way that Q can put him down on defensive zone draws if he's only winning 30% (his FOW% last year).
    And you can't just keep the rest of the line off the ice because you don't have a dependable center. Anisimov is still the C2 guy.
    Like many other teams playing rookies with veterans, CHI is just letting fans/coaches/GMs... and especially the player get a sniff of where they want him down the road, yes, as C2.

Conversely, WAS needs to replace the scoring of MarJo and J.Will and that means they have possible a line 2 wing spot open and PP2 spot.
    That's Vrana's because WAS doesn't have solid firepower beyond the big 4+Bura.

And I much prefer rookie wingers for scoring because there's less defensive responsibility to weigh down their commitment to offense.
    So... I'll take the guy here who has a top six winger slot open for him: Vrana.
    I, personally, don't have faith that Schmaltz is ready for NHL C2 right now. (next year, maybe... later in season, maybe)
    Even if he does get the C2 gig... if he plays it right, he needs to focus on two-way play, which will limit his scoring.
    Last year, Anisimov, Kane, and Panarin had the highest O-zone starts. Slotting in Sharp who is a much more responsible player than Panarin will help the defense overall on that line. Fewer turnovers at the blue line since Panarin won't be trying to beat 2 people when he should just dump it in. Plus, Schmaltz's defensive game improved greatly last season. Several were referring him as a mini-Hossa because of his improved play. I know wing vs center is completely different but it is still a positive. If Schmaltz can improve his faceoffs, which I heard he worked on all summer, then he'll get a shot at #2C at some point this season. Hell, with Q we all know he's going to get a shot.

And for the record, I am not saying Schmaltz over Vrana. I don't know much about Vrana's game. I am commenting on Schmaltz since I watch him play and listen to what the coaches say about him.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Throw a number out there on Schmaltz.
    How many points?

You don't need to know Vrana, but a point-prediction on Schmaltz has good value in itself.

Dobber Sports Wizard

My predictions:

Schmaltz: 55 points
    Vrana: 40 points

Dobber Sports Ace

I actually see both in the same boat 40-45pts range.

But this year I think Schmaltz will end up with a few more points.
    Schmaltz: 45 points
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Ace

From the Chicago perspective, Saad-Toews-Panik is locked in. So we're looking at C2 or LW2 for Schmaltz. Coach Q is notorious for working the line blender, and we know that Anisimov can be effective in the C2 role. The Blackhawks didn't bring back Sharp to be a checking line winger, either. While Schmaltz has done all of the right things over the summer, and has looked great in the pre-season, I think that he has more competition for a 2C/LW role than Vrana does.

Both players are getting their chances right now, and they both have looked pretty good (Schmaltz, especially!). I hate when people say that it might come down to personal preference, but in this case, I honestly can't decide which one is a better own. Put them both down in the 40-45 point range, and then it might just come down to personal preference after that.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    My predictions:

Schmaltz: 55 points
    Bold.
    Yahoo/Fantrax/TSN/Dobber have Schmaltz projected for 31/33/36/43 (I'll go 35)
    Yahoo/Fantrax/TSN/Dobber have Vrana projected for 16/23/23/31 (And I'm gonna go 40, that's my BOLD!)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Bold.
    Yahoo/Fantrax/TSN/Dobber have Schmaltz projected for 31/33/36/43 (I'll go 35)
    Yahoo/Fantrax/TSN/Dobber have Vrana projected for 16/23/23/31 (And I'm gonna go 40, that's my BOLD!)
    I really like Schmaltz and I think he sticks with Kane all year. 55 is bold indeed but doable.

I think all the projections on Vrana are way too low. 16, 23 points? I guess if he doesn't play full year in the NHL but I think he does and even if he ends up on the 3rd line and 2nd PP, he should do better than 23 points.

Administrator

I like Schmaltz more but it's close.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yes, Vrana predictions are certainly too low if he does get a top six spot.
    Player projections can be hard - and sometimes when people do them across-the-board, as people do... they are thinking "individually" instead of "globally".

With all the departures in WAS, there's a lot of extra forward spots & minutes... and STILL the high-end talent.
    ***I don't think Yahoo/Fantrax/TSN really think too hard about where Vrana would have oppportunity - that's why Dobber's numbers are often higher/better for prospects - more thought towards opp.***

Vrana, IMO, is in a situation akin to what Sheary & Guentzel have gotten in PIT - a chance to play with a dynamic center... and maybe some PP2 time.
    We should treat Vrana similarly, I think, as people have treated Sheary & Guentzel.
    Vrana IS a former 13th overall pick of 2014.
    Those 10-20th picks often hit their gear in Year 4 or Year 5 after pick.
    And just look at his last two AHL seasons... I mean, he's ready & proven as a professional.
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=161382