Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Failed Physicals

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Failed Physicals

This reminds me a whole lot of Sheldon Souray in Edmonton. Kind of seems like something that happens periodically around the league but tends to get more coverage in Toronto.

If it is such an issue and Lupul believes he is healthy with wrongdoing by the club, I can't imagine the NHLPA sitting around and doing nothing. This sounds like their bread and butter. The PA did meekly stand up for Cowen, right? And it went to an arbitrator who ruled in favour of the club? Seems to me that the PA doesn't think this to be much of an issue either. We'll see if that changes with this though.

Dobber Sports Wizard

If Lupul isn't injured today, he's most likely injured before the season starts. Maybe the Leafs just failed him by default because they knew he can't stay healthy to save his life.

And as said, if he thinks he's completely healthy, he can walk away from the contract. But he won't do that because he likes to get that money, so he should just stop complaining and find a hobby. Even if he was on Leafs roster, he wouldn't see a single minute of ice-time anyways, so I don't really understand what he's trying to accomplish.

Dobber Sports Wizard

something must have changed in the agreement between Lupul and Leafs. those sudden sour grapes make no sense....

im a leaf fan and im sure leafs bend the rules a bit but i dont think they do anything illegal here.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Not really. I criticize the Leafs more than anyone.
    Could Lupul be telling the truth? Definitely. (We don't know is my main point. And my other point is that if the Leafs knew of Lupul being unhappy, I think they would do right by him...)

But as 2014olympicgold correctly pointed out... if Lupul doesn't care about the money, mutual termination and go play somewhere else with a paycut. I mean, if it's all about playing hockey...
    He signed a contract in good faith and the Leafs took that contract on in the same good faith. If he's healthy enough to play, then the Leafs either need to play him, trade him or buy him out. What happens after that is not the Leafs issue.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Exactly, he cares about money more then hockey. To me I'd say he's more than fine sitting at home making all that money.
    The issue really isn't whether or not he cares about the money or hockey more. This is a really biased and nonsensical argument.

The issue is that a contract was signed for X amount of dollars for X years for a player to play. If, and that's if, he actually did pass his physical and was asked to sit on the sidelines on LTIR or was failed for some obscure reason to benefit the team, then that's just wrong.

That being said, I will meet halfway and say that Lupul is not exactly the poster boy for good health, nor is Toronto the only team that is (potentially) taking advantage of this.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    The issue really isn't whether or not he cares about the money or hockey more. This is a really biased and nonsensical argument.

The issue is that a contract was signed for X amount of dollars for X years for a player to play. If, and that's if, he actually did pass his physical and was asked to sit on the sidelines on LTIR or was failed for some obscure reason to benefit the team, then that's just wrong.

That being said, I will meet halfway and say that Lupul is not exactly the poster boy for good health, nor is Toronto the only team that is (potentially) taking advantage of this.
    People are saying he wants to play, I'm saying if he did actually want to, there's ways. There's also a players union to help address his issues.

Plus he could very well still have back issues, we don't know that for sure. We all know he would have to go in the pinnacle of health to pass the physical, and his records will show something to say he can't play.

Moot point and will be forgotten about by October, because teams have exploited the LTIR loophole for yrs and it hasn't been addressed.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

The validity in the argument is that it brings up Lupul's character, which is not exactly pristine.
    Why is Lou's reputation being used against him in here, but not Lupul's ?

I actually like Lupul, don't get me wrong, but I don't understand why he's being treated like a minimum-wage victim here. Like I said earlier, the only other feasible alternative is too sit him out in the press box every single night. That hurts Lupul and the team. It seems like you folks would prefer that to happen instead?!

My best guess at what happened...I think, possibly, a mutually beneficial agreement was reached at some point, but then Lupul (perhaps hearing his clock ticking) changed his mind. But being who he is, he changed his mind too late, came to camp out of shape and legitimately failed his tests. So now he's bitter.
    Just a guess though... like I said, we have no idea what happened.
    I think a couple of glasses of wine influenced his comments on Intsagram too. He deleted the cheating comment by 10:30pm Saturday apparently.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Pierre LeBrun‏ @PierreVLeBrun
    One thing to keep in mind on Lupul: he has the right as per the CBA to seek a 2nd medical opinion via the NHLPA re: failed physical (con't)
    Pierre LeBrun‏ @PierreVLeBrun
    Lupul hasn't done that. or at least not yet. But that's his right.
    Frank Seravalli‏ @frank_seravalli
    Further to @PierreVLeBrun, Lupul would've had 3 days to seek his own second opinion, as box says on form he would've received from #Leafs.

Dobber Sports Deity

Am I wrong in saying that the Leafs are over the cap if Lupul is in fact healthy? I honestly dont know. I know they are close.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Am I wrong in saying that the Leafs are over the cap if Lupul is in fact healthy? I honestly dont know. I know they are close.
    Leafs are 4.579mill over right now. This includes Horton and Lupul, so they will be fine if they keep Lupul because Horton’s (5.3mill) contract would eliminate the cap overages. Just a numbers thing right now that they aren’t on LTIR (maximize the dollar figure used because).

Leafs Total Cap Hit – 74.209 Mill
    Performance Bonus carryover – 5.37 Mill
    Cap Hit – 79.66mill (Cap is 75mill)
    Potential Performance Bonus – 4.55 Mill

LTIR potential – 10.55mill if they stay at the MAX side of the cap

Leafs will move people around so they hit 75mill for the cap hit, then LTIR Horton and Lupul to maximize LTIR return. Which would have them actually around 10mill ability to go over the cap.

Like eyemissgilmour said, they're fine.

The Great One

Lupul got voted off of Robidas Island and is now on exile Island.

Dobber Sports Deity

No, according to cap friendly, Horton's cap relief will be enough to make them compliant. Currently, they are 4.6mil upside down with nobody on LTIR yet.
    https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs
    Gotcha. I wasn't 100% on that. Thanks for the clarity.

Dobber Sports Titan

Leaf players respond to Lupul situation:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/leafs-st...upul%7E1211174

The Great One

It's threads like these that remind me how different hockey is here in the US. Within a week this will be like deflategate north.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

And I disagree 100% ... If there's any wrongdoing, he should go the club. Talk to Lou and Shanny. These are people that will do right by him.
    Sorry, but what do you have to validate this opinion?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov