Thread: Dynasty QB

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Dynasty QB

16 team dynasty league. What QB do you target (mine are currently junk)...looking at full impact but wouldn't mind some ROI this year as well.
    Kizer
    Mahomes
    Watson

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Dynasty QB

Long-term:
    Mahomes
    Watson
    Kizer

This year:
    Kizer
    Watson
    Mahomes
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Watson is the bottom of both lists.

To date of their college careers, Kizer has put the best play on tape.

To date in their NFL careers, Kizer has but the best play on tape.

I think there's no doubt Kizer is a better QB than Mahomes, but Mahomes is in a better situation with coaching. There's also a risk the Browns take another QB from next year's loaded QB class.

Personally, I'd bet on Kizer this year and long term.

Dobber Sports Expert

Just to add to the mix of information, the past few days various NFL insider types (e.g., Pat Kirwan and Kurt Warner) have been on the interview circuit and were asked to opine on the rookie quarterback class: what they see, what they think, etc. Regarding Kizer and Mahomes specifically, their views were interesting in their similarity.

Kizer and Mahomes are roughly the same size, and not particularly big by NFL standards. But with regard to Kizer, both Kirwan and Warner expressed a concern about his football IQ (i.e., his ability to adjust to the pace of the NFL and process information quickly enough) to consistently get rid of the ball in time or recognize and take advantage of an effective escape route. As a result, in their view, the concern is whether -- despite his physical talent and quality offensive line -- Kizer will subject himself to too many big hits, at best limiting his overall effectiveness and at worst raising the prospect of persistent injuries given his frame (which Kirwan described as "wiry").

Interestingly, they both specifically contrasted that view of Kizer with Mahomes. In their view, game smarts is Mahomes' top attribute. And they've said that on film and in live action (practices, preseason, etc.) what they've observed is that Mahomes always appears to know where the pressure is, and the best and safest route out of it if need be such that he's rarely in a position to be blasted.

Take all that for whatever you think it's worth. But I found it interesting.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Expert

Thanks for the input so far guys. It's tough as no QB is off the board at the moment and a couple of picks to go. Kizer we know has the reigns now, but figuring Mahomes to get the call maybe this season (they invested a lot of capital in him). Guaranteed money on Smith runs out after this season. I don't like basing preseason but I have no warm and fuzzies from what I've seen out of Watson either.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Thanks for the input so far guys. It's tough as no QB is off the board at the moment and a couple of picks to go. Kizer we know has the reigns now, but figuring Mahomes to get the call maybe this season (they invested a lot of capital in him). Guaranteed money on Smith runs out after this season. I don't like basing preseason but I have no warm and fuzzies from what I've seen out of Watson either.
    I honestly don't think Watson is in the conversation. Even if he becomes a good long term starter, he doesn't have the arm to be a high upside fantasy producer.

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm leaning the first two mentioned. If both are gone, I'll stick out my deadly duo for Bortles/Hoyer for this season and target QB next season (puke).