Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [RE-SIGNING] Draisaitl in EDM

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: [RE-SIGNING] Draisaitl in EDM

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    He did, or he would have been able to carry his own line more effectively than he did, which he failed at for most of the season. Taking draws is a small part of playing center which actually has little impact on the rest of the game, which has been proven time and again.

Fortunately, a pro-Oilers blog covered this for us https://oilersnation.com/2017/07/04/...eon-draisaitl/
    Face-offs are something that most young players are not good at, but get better with the more experience and strength they gain as they learn how to play at the NHL level. They may never be as good as Patrice Bergeron, but hey, who is?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Face-offs are something that most young players are not good at, but get better with the more experience and strength they gain as they learn how to play at the NHL level. They may never be as good as Patrice Bergeron, but hey, who is?
    K? Like I said, faceoffs don't matter and are irrelevant to whether Draisaitl has ever effectively played center for an extended period.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wow, now I'm depressed after reading all of rataylor's negative posts regarding the Oilers. The team is being mismanaged into the ground. I guess last year's playoff performance was a mirage. The Draisaitl signing is a horrible mistake. I'm figuratively sick to my stomach over this deal. Edmonton should have traded him before giving in to his outrageous contract demands.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

K? Like I said, faceoffs don't matter and are irrelevant to whether Draisaitl has ever effectively played center for an extended period.
    I got it, K? I didn't really absorb what you were getting at until after I posted. I figured you were just being negative on Draisaitl's face-off prowess.

Truth ^

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hater ^

Nah man. I absolutely love Chiarelli.

Dobber Sports Guru

Interesting tweet from CapFriendly:

Food for thought

#Oilers cap hit:
    17-18: $66.7M (24 players)
    18-19: $60.7M (13 players)

*Roster limit is 23 plyrs
    Next year they need to re-sign Strome, Maroon and Nurse, and then Talbot the year after. This team could be in a world of hurt cap wise very quickly.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

Next year they need to re-sign Strome, Maroon and Nurse, and then Talbot the year after. This team could be in a world of hurt cap wise very quickly.
    Yes.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

Yep. The alternative is worse though, not having the talent to be in a cap crunch. I am also aware the Chiarelli is not exactly a master of cap space, so I'm like a lot of Oiler fans, hoping that he can make it work within the cap.

Dobber Sports Genius

The same as Monahan, Gaudreau, Mackinnon, Schiefele, Panarin, Forsberg, Barkov. Tarasenko at the highest end. Ya know, his contemporaries.
    [Seriously - not trolling]

And what if his agent said, "No thanks to $6.5M x 7years. We will take $7.1M x 5 years (leaving him a UFA at the end of the deal*) or $8.5 x 8 years or we will explore options with other teams."

^^ I think the scenario played out like similar to that.

This is where I think GMPC was.

Now what do you do? Do you draw a line in the sand and wait for him to lower his demands? Do you let him explore offer sheets? Do you sign him to a deal that ensures he walks as a 26 year-old? Do you 2 year bridge him?

His agents (Octagon) are the ones that most recently brought you the Tarasenko ($7.5M x 8 yr), Byfuglien ($7.6M x 5yr), and Hedman ($7.9M x 8yr) contracts. You have to know the agents are asking for as much, if not more than these three players. Had to be asking for more. HAD TO. Big swinging dicks in $4000 suits play these kind of games.

Edmonton has never been a 'destination' for players to sign and recent history has seen players sign for more money with the Oilers than with other teams as it one of the few ways to attract them to the NHL's most northerly city.

At the bottom end, Draisaitl's camp may have accepted $7.5M x 8yr, maybe. Ugh, maybe but unlikely. Top that offer with an extra $1M per season and it is a done deal.

* "As a rookie, Draisaitl played 37 NHL games. That was enough to burn the first year of his entry-level deal, but not enough to count as an accrued year towards unrestricted free agency. In other words, even though Draisaitl has played three seasons in the league, he still has five to go before he becomes an unrestricted free agent, rather than the usual four." - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a...eon-draisaitl/
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Yep. The alternative is worse though, not having the talent to be in a cap crunch. I am also aware the Chiarelli is not exactly a master of cap space, so I'm like a lot of Oiler fans, hoping that he can make it work within the cap.
    Maybe, but I don't think the Oilers will be in the cap crunch because of talented guys like McDavid and Draisaitl. Lucic is getting $6 million, Sekera is getting $5.5 million and Russell $4 million. That's too much for these guys. All three are signed for at least four years, and all three have no movement clauses.

It's those kinds of deals that screws your team over.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    [Seriously - not trolling]

And what if his agent said, "No thanks to $6.5M x 7years. We will take $7.1M x 5 years (leaving him a UFA at the end of the deal*) or $8.5 x 8 years or we will explore options with other teams."

^^ I think the scenario played out like similar to that.

This is where I think GMPC was.

Now what do you do? Do you draw a line in the sand and wait for him to lower his demands? Do you let him explore offer sheets? Do you sign him to a deal that ensures he walks as a 26 year-old? Do you 2 year bridge him?

His agents (Octagon) are the ones that most recently brought you the Tarasenko ($7.5M x 8 yr), Byfuglien ($7.6M x 5yr), and Hedman ($7.9M x 8yr) contracts. You have to know the agents are asking for as much, if not more than these three players. Had to be asking for more. HAD TO. Big swinging dicks in $4000 suits play these kind of games.

Edmonton has never been a 'destination' for players to sign and recent history has seen players sign for more money with the Oilers than with other teams as it one of the few ways to attract them to the NHL's most northerly city.

At the bottom end, Draisaitl's camp may have accepted $7.5M x 8yr, maybe. Ugh, maybe but unlikely. Top that offer with an extra $1M per season and it is a done deal.

* "As a rookie, Draisaitl played 37 NHL games. That was enough to burn the first year of his entry-level deal, but not enough to count as an accrued year towards unrestricted free agency. In other words, even though Draisaitl has played three seasons in the league, he still has five to go before he becomes an unrestricted free agent, rather than the usual four." - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a...eon-draisaitl/
    I think it's very very clear offer sheets are not a threat. Tarasenko is the max I would have offered. Tarasenko also had proven as much or more than Draisaitl coming off ELC, St. Louis isn't a hotbed to live either, and carried far more of a KHL threat. Kuznetsov also had proven much more than Draisaitl at actual center ice and had a massive KHL threat and still got less than Draisatl.

Draisaitl had no options but to sign in Edmonton, with next to zero leverage. If an offer sheet was a legitimate threat, he would have already signed one for more money. If teams let Kucherov and Lindholm last summer get as far as they did without offer sheets, with the cap problems Anaheim and Tampa had last summer, nobody is getting offer sheeted. Let's stop being so naive and pretending like it's any type of threat, we make ourselves look really dumb when we give them any credence.

Dobber Sports Genius

I think it's very very clear offer sheets are not a threat. Tarasenko is the max I would have offered. Tarasenko also had proven as much or more than Draisaitl coming off ELC, St. Louis isn't a hotbed to live either, and carried far more of a KHL threat. Kuznetsov also had proven much more than Draisaitl at actual center ice and had a massive KHL threat and still got less than Draisatl.

Draisaitl had no options but to sign in Edmonton, with next to zero leverage. If an offer sheet was a legitimate threat, he would have already signed one for more money. If teams let Kucherov and Lindholm last summer get as far as they did without offer sheets, with the cap problems Anaheim and Tampa had last summer, nobody is getting offer sheeted. Let's stop being so naive and pretending like it's any type of threat, we make ourselves look really dumb when we give them any credence.
    [Serious - again, not trolling]

So you would have put the 'Tarasenko' in front of him and stared at him until he signed it? Yowzers! There would be tense times in Edmonton if this dragged out as long as Kucherov or Lindholm.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    [Serious - again, not trolling]

So you would have put the 'Tarasenko' in front of him and stared at him until he signed it? Yowzers! There would be tense times in Edmonton if this dragged out as long as Kucherov or Lindholm.
    Well yea. I mean. That's negotiating. You know. Paying players their value for what they provide and not overpaying them is pretty important in a cap system. And you always want to pay good players as opposed to bad players, but yes. That's kind've how contract negotiating works, and its pretty irrelevant if it causes tension within the fanbase.