Thread: Eric Staal's worth

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Eric Staal's worth

This is not a trade proposal from my end just wanted to see what you guys thought he was worth. Keep in mind we're in salary cap league and he's got a great cap hit for 2 more years but...

A friend of mine asked what the price was on Eric Staal from a fellow GM in my league.. For reference Staal put 1.34 FP/G last year and Crosby who was #1 skater put up 1.96 FP/G. Staal was 72nd in skaters in FP/G.

Anyways here was what he wanted back for him in a very deep farm team:

2 1st round picks, A young contributing fwd with potential, and a blue chip D prospect

for

Eric Staal

Is that not a pretty high asking price?

Anyways what do you guys think he is worth?
    20 Team Dynasty H2H League: Devils (Rebuild Mode)
    5th Year
    G=1.5, A=1, PPP=.25, SHP=.25, BLK=.1, HIT=.1, SOG=1, FOW=+.1, FOL=-.1, GA=-1, SV=+.1, SHO=4, W=3

C : Hischier, Horvat,
    W : Marner, P. Kane, Fiala
    D : Provorov, Bouchard
    G : Campbell, Francouz

Minors:
    C : Tomasino, Rossi, Khustnutdinov, Amirov, Stankoven,
    W : N. Robertson, Maccelli,
    D : Addison, Farrance, Morrow, Heinola, Rathbone
    G : Annunen, Thompson

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Eric Staal's worth

That's crazy talk. Staal is not worth that today - maybe 2004.

I like Staal a lot but he may have just had his last surge of production. I still expect him to be in the mid 50's for a few years.

But I wouldn't give much in the way of future assets for him. I might give a 1st round pick as long as its not a top 2. I would advise against giving anything more, especially in a 20 team league where depth is paramount.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Novice

For reference, in my 32 team dynasty league, Staal went for a 1st (25th overall), a 2nd (57th overall) and Michael McCarron last year. I honestly think that Staal is worth more than that, but I would not pay as much as you've mentioned.

Dobber Sports Guru

That is way too high an asking price. Basically two firsts, someone like Sergachev and a young forward for a soon-to-be 33-year-old player who was declining until a miraculous rebound last year? Not worth it. I might give a first, but nothing else.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Best way to attack this is to wait a couple months into the season. If the Staal owner's team underachieves there's a chance he turns that into rebuild mode and he'll suddenly be trading vets away for cheap.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm petrified of Staal after seeing that horrible concussion in the playoffs. I've got a bad feeling it's gonna be an issue that bothers him for the rest of his career. I'm not a doctor and I haven't seen the reports on him, but it was such a horrible crash that I'm scared of owning him anymore.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

The Great One

Someone is trying to sell high, and you've sniffed them out and said no. Both of you are doing the right thing.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Haha yeah it just seemed ridiculous. The league is heading into it's 2nd year and the owner is not even trying to ice a good team, basically (re)building from the ground up. We had a dispersal draft of 10 teams and he took Larkin 2nd overall, Price landed in my lap at 3rd it was bizarre. You think he would be asking a lot less for an aging guy.
    20 Team Dynasty H2H League: Devils (Rebuild Mode)
    5th Year
    G=1.5, A=1, PPP=.25, SHP=.25, BLK=.1, HIT=.1, SOG=1, FOW=+.1, FOL=-.1, GA=-1, SV=+.1, SHO=4, W=3

C : Hischier, Horvat,
    W : Marner, P. Kane, Fiala
    D : Provorov, Bouchard
    G : Campbell, Francouz

Minors:
    C : Tomasino, Rossi, Khustnutdinov, Amirov, Stankoven,
    W : N. Robertson, Maccelli,
    D : Addison, Farrance, Morrow, Heinola, Rathbone
    G : Annunen, Thompson

Dobber Sports Guru

Just curious who went first overall in the dispersal draft.

Dobber Sports Stud

Way too much for Staal...
    If we're in the middle of the season and I'm in contention, I might give a 1st + a prospect, or something similar. That is IF Staal still performs adequately.
    But in the off-season, just too risky to invest so much in a player that could fall off the cliff again.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.