Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tavares or Stamkos?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Tavares or Stamkos?

I'd prefer Stamkos over Tavares at this point. Goal heavy league Stamkos should outscore Johnny T. Stammers injury history is concerning a bit but his last injury seemed to be a total freak injury and was playing very well up until he got hurt.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Personnally I would take Tavares but I think it's very close so can't go wrong here...however...quite surprised that your Stamkos is selling "at full value"o at the moment...in lots of leagues..pretty sure Stamkos is being sold for less than what he's worth so getting Tavares is a pretty solid return I feel if you had the intention to mve away from Stamkos anyhow...

Last, I must admit I also like the fact that Tavares is UFA at the end of the season...he'll play his ass off this year and pretty sure he ends up in a better team than the Islanders....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Jeez. Stamkos for me and I honestly don't even see how this is an argument. Stamkos has actually produced like people pretend Tavares produces. Go look at their career statistics, it's not even close. Stamkos blows JT out of the water in just about every year of their career.

The only argument for Tavares over Stamkos is health, but I'm not worried enough about Stamkos' health to make this kind of a downgrade. Stamkos is the better goal scorer, better producer, better player.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Jeez. Stamkos for me and I honestly don't even see how this is an argument. Stamkos has actually produced like people pretend Tavares produces. Go look at their career statistics, it's not even close. Stamkos blows JT out of the water in just about every year of their career.

The only argument for Tavares over Stamkos is health, but I'm not worried enough about Stamkos' health to make this kind of a downgrade. Stamkos is the better goal scorer, better producer, better player.
    Your point is good if you are looking at "before lock-out" seasons because in last 4 seasons....Tavares did produce more than Stamkos...points and PPG

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Since the lockout,

Stamkos has scored 196 points in 213 games for 0.92 P/g including 0.53 G/g. Those four seasons were respectively, 1.08 P/g, 0.88 P/g, 0.83 P/g, and 1.18 P/g.

Tavares has scored 288 points in 296 games for 0.97 P/g including 0.42 G/g. Those four seasons were respectively, 1.12 P/g, 1.05 P/g, 0.89 P/g, and 0.85 P/g.

Shit, in a full season (83) fewer games, Stamkos has scored 10 fewer goals.

None of the injury issues Stamkos has had are "recurring" (they've all been different). I don't have any worries about Stamkos's long term health. If you look at just their post lockout stats, they are essentially a wash with Stamkos still being the favorite in a goal heavy league. Id argue the only reason Tavares wins the P/g argument is a sample size issue with Stamkos having so many fewer games. When you take into account that over their careers Stamkos has been a much much better player than Tavares, I'm taking Stamkos every time.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLemieux View Post
    Your point is good if you are looking at "before lock-out" seasons because in last 4 seasons....Tavares did produce more than Stamkos...points and PPG
    And then add Stammer's injury history and the emergence of the Kucherov / Hedman combo on the PP (i.e. Stammer might actually have to settle for 2nd line PP minutes now)... it's definitely close - I just prefer Tavares and think he is due for a big bounce back these next few years.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think this is basically even JT is more a safer bet but if you wanna risk it Stamkos could do big things this year w/ Kucherov/Hedman turning into the superstars they are, but as a Stamkos owner myself if I were offered JT for him I'd keep Stamkos
    14 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Zibanejad
    LW: E.Kane, Panarin, Huberdeau, Marchand, Landeskog
    RW: Rantanen, Zuccarello
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Chychrun, Drysdale
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Markstrom
    Prospects: Carlsson, Raty, Berggren, Miroshnichenko, Othmann, Clarke, Gulyayev, Nikishin, Wallstadt, Wolf

16 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Duchene, Schenn, Johansen, Monahan, Krebs, Pageau
    LW: E.Kane, Pacioretty, Vrana, Hoffman
    RW: Tuch, Stone, Wilson, Batherson, Sprong, Gallagher, Wahlstrom
    D: Dahlin, Hamilton, Letang, Dumba, Kylington, Liljegren
    G: Allen
    Prospects: Byfield, Guenther, Rossi, Perreault, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Go with Tavares... he won't be back with Isles and as soon as he puts on a new sweater, his fantasy league trade value will rocket.
    People LOVE the potential of a star player on a new team. By default, they add 10pts to the player because he's in a new place!
    source ?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Stamkos for me in a goal weighted league

Dobber Sports Superstar

Stamkos for me too, due to the scoring categories.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Titan

Stamkos easily for me. Injuries aren't a big factor, and the goals make a bigger difference.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Stamkos easily for me. Injuries aren't a big factor, and the goals make a bigger difference.
    When I first read through these posts, I thought JT 100% and this solely on health. But then I looked closer and Stammer really had just 2 injuries after being a pillar of health for several years. These injuries were freaky as well. BUT then I really looked deeper, and I think we need to examine what happened in 2015:

So 2013 he misses sig time with bad injury...

Returns and plays a full 82 game season in 2014 with VERY good numbers considering the mental challenge of returning from injuries like these (72pts, 43g)... dip in ice time from pre-injury...

2015 has just 64pts in 77 gms - similar icetime as 2014.

Even 2016 prior to his 2nd major, potentially career-altering injury, his ice time was less per game than 2014-2015.

Is he transitioning to wing time? I think that was a problem for him and nearly got him moved from TB because they wouldn't let him be full fledged pivot. He never impressed me at FOs... and that might not be impressing Stevie Y either.

So I circled all the way back to picking JT if given a straight-up choice right now - and the choice is a very close one (perhaps owning Letang makes me not want to risk owning Stammer too).
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

The Great One

I think I'd just stick with Stamkos with these settings.

There's no guarantee Tavares moves on or that the Islanders ever straightens things out. what a cluster-f@ck of an organization. which is saying a lot, from a sabres fan...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Tavares is lower risk, higher floor. Don't forget that Stamkos + Kuch tore up the league while he was healthy. I'd stick with Stamkos personally.