Thread: Need feedback about creating a new league.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Question Need feedback about creating a new league.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting a new league with some buddies and basically it will be a 25 man roster. Similar stats to my current leagues. The thing is the team we draft is the team we keep and I want it so we draft a 25 man farm team/prospect team. My issue is, what is he best approach to drafting the following years? I know we draft the following prospects but I don't think we can add more players once the league is set. I use espn. So should we have to drop a certain amount of players to draft the new prospects? Honestly I know this doesn't make sense, I guess I'm just curious how everyone S leagues run if they have a prospect team as well and what's the best way to run one. Thanks guys.
    Keeper Pool 1

6 Person keepe league H2H
    5 Keepers
    1pt G&A for F&D
    extra pt for PPP
    extra pt for GWG
    2pts Goalie Win
    3 extra pts for Goalie SO
    START 12F 6D 2G

KEEPERS
    Tarasenko- Gaudreau- Karlsson- Eichel- Laine

Keeper Pool 2

10 Person Keeper League H2H
    2 points for G,SHG,SHA,GWG
    1 point for A,PPG,PPA,
    3 points for GOALIE WIN
    2 extra points for SO
    1 extra point for OT Loss
    START 12F 7D 2G

KEEPERS
    McDavid-Eichel-Kucherov-Marner-Karlsson

If you ain't first your last!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Need feedback about creating a new league.

Best way to run it is Fantrax. Second best way is to have someone crazy enough to keep a google doc spread sheet up to date all the time.

Otherwise have some NA slots, open each roster up to 50 normal slots for the summer, and then say that they have to be down to 45 by whatever date you want to do your prospect draft, bringing you back up to 50, and then changing the settings back to 25 players and 25 prospects.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Best way to run it is Fantrax.
    This is all you need right here.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Fantrax is awesome for this kind of set up. You can set up as many minors as you want.

Another option that is really good for it is CBS but it is more expensive. I am in a MLB dynasty league on CBS and it is awesome for how it tracks minors and such.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Fantrax is awesome for this kind of set up. You can set up as many minors as you want.

Another option that is really good for it is CBS but it is more expensive. I am in a MLB dynasty league on CBS and it is awesome for how it tracks minors and such.
    how deep does CBS dig into listing prospects ?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

for baseball it is really deep... not sure what their hockey platform is like.

Dobber Sports Wizard

If you're starting a new league from scratch, maybe have just 15 prospect spots to start and add 5 more spots each year for 2 years. After that, GMs will need to drop the amount of players they draft. But give them all summer long to make their cuts - just allow illegal rosters for the summertime.

And Fantrax is all I know, so I have no idea if other platforms offer similar features but they should.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    If you're starting a new league from scratch, maybe have just 15 prospect spots to start and add 5 more spots each year for 2 years. After that, GMs will need to drop the amount of players they draft. But give them all summer long to make their cuts - just allow illegal rosters for the summertime.

And Fantrax is all I know, so I have no idea if other platforms offer similar features but they should.
    thats a great idea. Thank you everyone for the input. Does it cost money to use fantrax?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I advise Fantrax as well for prospects. I am in an ESPN league with a forum for prospects. It can get dicey and a pain to keep track of..........
    Column writer at @GoaliePost

https://goaliepost.com/

An avid Chicago sports fan. Craft beer connoisseur. Fantasy sports addict.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Torontos #2 Fan View Post
    thats a great idea. Thank you everyone for the input. Does it cost money to use fantrax?
    You can use Fantrax for free but then it's missing some features which you may or may not need. You can then upgrade to premium if you want. I'm not sure what the cost is but I believe it's somewhere around $60 because it's usually something like $3 for each GM in the leagues I'm in. When everyone pays their part, the cost is very minimal - you can't find much cheaper hobbies anywhere.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Torontos #2 Fan View Post
    theres a free and pay version depending on the settings you'd need --79.99 u.s

your gm's can all pay chip in fee towards the pay version right at fantrax

Dobber Sports Demi-God

While I like Fantrax, there are other routes to using other websites - as sometimes your GM group isn't ready to switch.
    For sites like Yahoo or ESPN, just create a thread called "Minor League" rosters.
    Each GM types out there list of JR/Minors players and it stays there. When they add/drop/change that team, they just type it in their post.
    That way, each GM can do a CTRL+(search) to check if a player is owned.

As for drafting - you have to feel that out.
    I'm a big fan of partial keepers (where you are forced to drop some players every year), because I believe it promotes a league-wide push to trade.
    In full dynasties, a GM can pretty much snipe guys that rise up and may not ever need to trade.
    And... if he doesn't need to trade, you may see him disappear during summer with people asking "Has anybody heard from Jimmy this summer?"
    In a partial keeper, GMs are forced to cut assets yearly, so having them trade maybe two players they'd cut to a rebuilding team that offers a slight upgrade can work for both teams.

In the WHL, we keep 25 of our 35 player roster (we keep 25 on PRO and 10 on JR... but may expand JR someday).
    When we cut to 25 keepers:
    20 are placed on PRO (of our 25 roster)
    5 are placed on JR (of our 10 team JR roster)
    June 30th is our cut-off date for picking those 25 players (promotes trading in June).
    In mid-July we do our prospect 5-round draft.
    In mid-September we do our PRO redraft 5-round draft.

So... just about every month except August is very active in our league.
    If you want deeper minors systems, you can have 20 or 25 in minors and drop 5-10.
    Whatever number you force drop, make that the amount of the draft.

For example, if you force a team to drop 5... have a 5 round draft.
    That'll replenish numbers smoothly.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great idea Pen, thanks again guys for the advice.