Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Teenagers Record a Man Drown and Laugh

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Teenagers Record a Man Drown and Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    That's the youth of America. We are raising a generation of sociopaths, you're welcome world.
    You need to get out and start interacting with some of the amazing youth that exist out there. There are so many of them who care deeply about the world and are selfless and giving in ways that would blow your mind. Don't let the media ruin your perception of them.

Dobber Sports Stud

It's easy to blame social media because of their age, but realistically I blame the media.
    They gravitate to worse of the worse - that is why we never hear of any "good news" stories, only the worst humankind has to offer.

Dobber Sports Genius

Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I can't help but being reminded of the final Seinfeld episode where a guy carjacks an overweight driver's car. Kramer is filming it while Jerry, George and Elaine were making fun of the victim. They were charged with the 'Good Samaritan Law'. Except, this is was a real life and death situtation and would never excpect it to happen in real life. Maybe Florida needs a Good Samaritan Law.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I can't help but being reminded of the final Seinfeld episode where a guy carjacks an overweight driver's car. Kramer is filming it while Jerry, George and Elaine were making fun of the victim. They were charged with the 'Good Samaritan Law'. Except, this is was a real life and death situtation and would never excpect it to happen in real life. Maybe Florida needs a Good Samaritan Law.
    The Seinfeld episode was the first thing I thought of as well.

Sad that it's necessary to bring in laws for (some) people to do the right thing.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sickening.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    It's easy to blame social media because of their age, but realistically I blame the media.
    They gravitate to worse of the worse - that is why we never hear of any "good news" stories, only the worst humankind has to offer.
    That's because the media caters the the mass public's taste. You're blaming the media but they go with what people want to watch, what draws them in like flies.

It's just humanity, I don't know why the f@ck it needs to be any more complicated than that.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    That's because the media caters the the mass public's taste. You're blaming the media but they go with what people want to watch, what draws them in like flies.

It's just humanity, I don't know why the f@ck it needs to be any more complicated than that.
    I agree. I just don't doubt for a second that if the baby boomers had social media back in their day that we wouldn't see this kind of stuff as well. It's not limited to 'them damn kids!'

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Thank goodness. If they're willing to be entertained by watching a man drown, one would think they were there when the man was deceased and then you're suppose to report it.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandals View Post
    I agree. I just don't doubt for a second that if the baby boomers had social media back in their day that we wouldn't see this kind of stuff as well. It's not limited to 'them damn kids!'
    I wonder what Twitter and Instagram would have looked like in the Roman Colosseum days.

Or on Kristallnacht (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht).

Or Rwanda in the 90's.

Shall I go on?
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Thank goodness. If they're willing to be entertained by watching a man drown, one would think they were there when the man was deceased and then you're suppose to report it.
    What gets me is that they weren't like "hey, let's get out of here, the guy just drowned and we taunted him while he died". They posted it online with their crass comments and all. They don't think that what they did was wrong.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

I wonder what Twitter and Instagram would have looked like in the Roman Colosseum days.

Or on Kristallnacht (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht).

Or Rwanda in the 90's.

Shall I go on?
    Yeah, humans are the worst. Seriously. While some are capable of incredible acts of kindness, others are more than willing to torture and kill for the barest of reasons.

You want to stop it, then abhorrent behavior needs to be punished harshly and immediately. Unfortunately, our society comes up with excuses for behaving badly and tries to rehabilitate some of those who aren't worthy of the effort. Some people just shouldn't be in the gene pool.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Yeah, humans are the worst. Seriously. While some are capable of incredible acts of kindness, others are more than willing to torture and kill for the barest of reasons.
    So we create God and the Devil (or whatever good/evil forces any religion incorporates) to explain the polarised aspect of human nature - "it's not our fault". Religion is a cop out and it's fundamental to probably the majority of humanity's belief systems. Cause or effect? Probably both, positive feedback loop. It's rooted in our nature not to look at ourselves as the problem (myself included, I'm not pretending to be any better) and our behaviour, attempts to explain/blame it away, and the state of the world really illustrate that pretty clearly.

You want to stop it, then abhorrent behavior needs to be punished harshly and immediately. Unfortunately, our society comes up with excuses for behaving badly and tries to rehabilitate some of those who aren't worthy of the effort. Some people just shouldn't be in the gene pool.
    It's not ever going to be possible to get the entire world educated, disciplined and acting civilised with one another. You might be able to get a start in some western countries but just think about it on a global scale, what would eventually happen. So eliminate/imprison anyone who can't co-exist? Well that's subjective and we've seen how that turns out many times over (also logistically pretty much impossible even if you could do it right).

Dobber Sports Ninja

So we create God and the Devil (or whatever good/evil forces any religion incorporates) to explain the polarised aspect of human nature - "it's not our fault". Religion is a cop out and it's fundamental to probably the majority of humanity's belief systems. Cause or effect? Probably both, positive feedback loop. It's rooted in our nature not to look at ourselves as the problem (myself included, I'm not pretending to be any better) and our behaviour, attempts to explain/blame it away, and the state of the world really illustrate that pretty clearly.
    I am not in any way religious, but I think it has value for those who believe. It helps some people (the majority of those who believe?) do the right thing and fight the good fight against human nature (self-preservation at any cost). I love it when people think we're civilized...turn off the power for two days and watch the behavior of many people. Very sad.

It's not ever going to be possible to get the entire world educated, disciplined and acting civilised with one another. You might be able to get a start in some western countries but just think about it on a global scale, what would eventually happen. So eliminate/imprison anyone who can't co-exist? Well that's subjective and we've seen how that turns out many times over (also logistically pretty much impossible even if you could do it right).
    Humans are by and large tribal in nature. The global stuff the Western governments are cramming down our throats with massive immigration through refugees, peace and love and no borders is going to lead to very bad things happening. We are already experiencing culture clashes leading to civil strife and violence. Europe is experiencing this in countries that have "no go" zones. WTF is that? They have given up policing certain areas? That's not cool for those who don't want to live under those conditions imposed by a small segment of the population and I'm sure in violation of their own country's constitution. Immigration is fine when integration takes place. It leads to chaos when there is a massive influx of people who don't share your values.

Education isn't enough if no one is going to learn. If we keep going the way we're going, there will be armed conflict in the streets of many Western nations. Antifa for everyone! We're doomed if we keep going down this path of intolerance and conflict.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I am not in any way religious, but I think it has value for those who believe. It helps some people (the majority of those who believe?) do the right thing and fight the good fight against human nature (self-preservation at any cost). I love it when people think we're civilized...turn off the power for two days and watch the behavior of many people. Very sad.
    I have never been religious in my life either.

I think some people do selective things their religions prescribe and selectively don't do things they proscribe, and they think that makes them decent people. They have good will towards those who agree with them, but anyone who disagrees is exempt from that good will. Ill-will towards outsiders is actually a positive thing, it brings people together and it makes them feel good. Look into the eyes of a religious person (of any affiliation) going off on a hate-rant - they get off on it.

Humans are by and large tribal in nature. The global stuff the Western governments are cramming down our throats with massive immigration through refugees, peace and love and no borders is going to lead to very bad things happening. We are already experiencing culture clashes leading to civil strife and violence. Europe is experiencing this in countries that have "no go" zones. WTF is that? They have given up policing certain areas? That's not cool for those who don't want to live under those conditions imposed by a small segment of the population and I'm sure in violation of their own country's constitution. Immigration is fine when integration takes place. It leads to chaos when there is a massive influx of people who don't share your values.
    Could not agree more. I don't want to stir up a shitstorm about immigration (I'm a first generation Canadian with 1/2 European and 1/2 East-Indian ancestry), but there needs to be integration and respect for the society that is allowing you to enter and live within. It won't work unless that happens - which it clearly won't.

Education isn't enough if no one is going to learn. If we keep going the way we're going, there will be armed conflict in the streets of many Western nations. Antifa for everyone! We're doomed if we keep going down this path of intolerance and conflict.
    Unfortunately you are right.