Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RE-SIGNED] Russell to EDM

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: [RE-SIGNED] Russell to EDM

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    If this is above his previous $3.1M as expected, I'm wondering if they would have been better off throwing a 5th round pick to Vegas to get Schlemko instead. His $2.1M cap hit probably would have offered better value. Just an idea that popped to my head when reading these. But let's see what the cap hit and maybe more importantly, term, ends up being.
    If its over 3 SMH too

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Most Dmen today who can skate and chew gum get $4M.
    Maybe you're right but I think that with four years this can become pretty bad down the stretch.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I think you're serious?

But I wonder why.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes indeed.
    Me too.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    If its over 3 SMH too
    He's not going to take less money than he made last year. That's simply not how it works, especially when you perform at or above your previous contracts value which any Oilers fan who actually took the time to watch the games, will tell you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

which any Oilers fan who actually took the time to watch the games, will tell you.
    Really? Do you know them all personally?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

If it's only $4M for 4 years, I have no issues with that at all. Most Dmen today who can skate and chew gum get $4M. He's a top 4 Dman on that team and was a big part of their defensive turn around this year.

To me, if those numbers pan out, I'd consider that a good deal for both sides.
    I know that your an Oiler fan Axe. There is no question, his ability to block shots is world class. I think I watched most Oilers games last year, and his transition game is just SO bad. He is slow. Yes, he will block a ton of shots. Personally, I think his "Bad" may outweigh his "Good".

Rylant

The Great One

I thought Russell was very good for the Oilers last year. I mean, in addition to his obvious strengths (blocking shots, penalty killing), he plays some tough, hard minutes against the other team's best players. He was a very solid, defense-first player for us. I know his game has some big holes, but with Klefbom and Larsson as the top pairing, we need a veteran dman who can help this young team. As we all know, dmen are extremely hard to acquire via trade and the free agent market is crap (outside of Shattenkirk who will command a fortune and won't want to play in Edmonton anyway, cause he wants to be the #1 option). There are many dmen I'd prefer over Russell, but considering what is available, he is the best option for us. Many teams have to overpay at times to get what they can (supply and demand).

If we make the playoffs again, I will be happier having Russell playing on our second pairing compared to Benning, Gryba, etc.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I know that your an Oiler fan Axe. There is no question, his ability to block shots is world class. I think I watched most Oilers games last year, and his transition game is just SO bad. He is slow. Yes, he will block a ton of shots. Personally, I think his "Bad" may outweigh his "Good".

Rylant
    I am an Oilers fan, but I am also an Oilers fan who isn't afraid to call out management when they make moves I don't like. This I don't mind at all. It would cost them at least this much, if not more, to find another UFA Dman who can play effeciently in their top 4 like Russell proved he could do last year.

I am fine with it. The rest of you don't have to like it. Carry on with the rest of your day.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    he [Russell] plays some tough, hard minutes against the other team's best players.
    but with Klefbom and Larsson as the top pairing
    Does the top pairing not play against the oppositions best?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Does the top pairing not play against the oppositions best?
    yes, of course. But Russell also played well against other team's best players. His battles in the playoffs against Getzlaf and Thornton these past playoffs were impressive.

Obviously we throw Klefbom and Larsson out there as much as possible, but when we had to put Russell out against the other teams best players, he more than held is own in the defensive zone.

I guess all I am saying is that he wasn't a liability in the defensive zone, and we can't say that for many of the dmen we have had in the past.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

Isn't Russell at 4x4 (potentially) better than Alzner a 5x5?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

yes, of course. But Russell also played well against other team's best players. His battles in the playoffs against Getzlaf and Thornton these past playoffs were impressive.

Obviously we throw Klefbom and Larsson out there as much as possible, but when we had to put Russell out against the other teams best players, he more than held is own in the defensive zone.

I guess all I am saying is that he wasn't a liability in the defensive zone, and we can't say that for many of the dmen we have had in the past.
    Nice.

I guess we'll see how it works out.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If it's only $4M for 4 years, I have no issues with that at all. Most Dmen today who can skate and chew gum get $4M. He's a top 4 Dman on that team and was a big part of their defensive turn around this year.

To me, if those numbers pan out, I'd consider that a good deal for both sides.
    Erm

Dobber Sports Pro

He blocks a lot of shots because he spends a lot of time in his own zone. He was no different than when he played for the Flames. I love this signing!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Interesting signing, they didn't trade Eberle specifically to give them cap space for Russell, did they ?
    Yuh