Thread: Montour vs. Boeser

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Montour vs. Boeser

Who would you rather have in your keeper league for the scoring system below: Montour or Boeser?
    Weekly matchup, 10-teams, 25 man roster, play 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G per night
    Multi-cat league: G (4), A (2.5), SOG (0.2), HIT (0.2), BLKS (0.2), PPP, GWG, PIMS (0.2), +/- (+/-0.5) - skaters
    W (3), S/O (5), each save (0.2), each GA (-1)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Montour vs. Boeser

I'd rather Boeser by far. That could change though if I was thin on D.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Wizard

Boeser for sure.

Dobber Sports Pro

Definitely Boeser.

Dobber Sports Giant

Montour for me (bias as I own him) but I favor a potential high scoring D over a potential high scoring F. Plus, Montour is in a way better situation IMO.

Funny fact, both players were teammates in the USHL back in 2014-15 with Waterloo and had very similar outputs although Montour also spent some time at U-Mass that year:
    Boeser: 57gp, 35g, 33a, 68pts, 1.19ppg
    Montour: 17gp, 6g, 15a, 21pts, 1.24ppg
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Montour for me (bias as I own him) but I favor a potential high scoring D over a potential high scoring F. Plus, Montour is in a way better situation IMO.

Funny fact, both players were teammates in the USHL back in 2014-15 with Waterloo and had very similar outputs although Montour also spent some time at U-Mass that year:
    Boeser: 57gp, 35g, 33a, 68pts, 1.19ppg
    Montour: 17gp, 6g, 15a, 21pts, 1.24ppg
    For me the higher weight given to goals makes Brock more attractive. Even if they scored similar points (say 60 each), he should crush Montour in total points when he scores 25-35 goals compared to 8-12 for Montour.

30 goals / 30 assists = 195 pts
    12 goals / 48 assists = 168 pts

And honestly I think Boeser could score more than 60 pts annually, while I don't think Montour will likely reach that mark often, if at all.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    For me the higher weight given to goals makes Brock more attractive. Even if they scored similar points (say 60 each), he should crush Montour in total points when he scores 25-35 goals compared to 8-12 for Montour.

30 goals / 30 assists = 195 pts
    12 goals / 48 assists = 168 pts

And honestly I think Boeser could score more than 60 pts annually, while I don't think Montour will likely reach that mark often, if at all.
    Well you are forgetting the part where 1 is a D and the other is a forward

It's a lot easier to find a 60 point forward (OK, maybe not a 30+ goal scorer though) vs a 50 point D. To me, they are both as likely (or unlikely) to succeed at this point so I'm considering their potential success on the same level.

I could see how some are high on Boeser, and don't get me wrong, I like the kid too, but when given a chance to get a D that can generate offense like Montour can, I'll favor the D in most cases.

PS: I'm also assuming that Montour can make up for the differential in goals with added hits and blks (and let's not even talk about Boeser's short-term +- in VAN )
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Pro

Nah, I'm not forgetting... I assign a LOT of importance to having strong D in fantasy. In my league my D corps is Burns, Josi, Werenski, Krug, Rielly and Provorov.

Its just that in a league where goals are worth 60% more than assists I want the guy who Dobber gives 40 goal upside. Only 26 players had 30+ goals this season, and a mere 3 had 40+ goals. If Brock manages to hit his upside he is like gold in this league. Hard for me to pass on that lotto ticket.

Dobber Sports Stud

Brock. Even playing in VanCity he'll be an asset.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I have to take the Boss here, Boeser.. too much upside and nothing in front of him from top line top PP, new coach should = Twins on PP2.

Montour is going to have to scratch and claw for every second of ice time,
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

One thing you're forgetting though is that Montour was 20 during that season and Boeser was 17.

I'm a big fan of both players but with weighted goals it seems like Boeser would be the smart choice unless you really need the help on D.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    One thing you're forgetting though is that Montour was 20 during that season and Boeser was 17.

I'm a big fan of both players but with weighted goals it seems like Boeser would be the smart choice unless you really need the help on D.
    Very true! The age difference does play here. My bad for overlooking Boeser's when he led that team in points.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Nah, I'm not forgetting... I assign a LOT of importance to having strong D in fantasy. In my league my D corps is Burns, Josi, Werenski, Krug, Rielly and Provorov.

Its just that in a league where goals are worth 60% more than assists I want the guy who Dobber gives 40 goal upside. Only 26 players had 30+ goals this season, and a mere 3 had 40+ goals. If Brock manages to hit his upside he is like gold in this league. Hard for me to pass on that lotto ticket.
    I guess I just don't see him as a 40-goal guy down the road considering it takes some elite talent to hit that plateau. Nonetheless, you bring a valid point considering the weighted categories and that both players are still in their ''potential'' phases.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Deity

Boeser for me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."