Thread: Can the iPhone be hacked?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Can the iPhone be hacked?

I was at the mall for lunch this afternoon and I got a pop up from a Kelly sending me a zip file via AirDrop. The notification was on my screen and no matter if I switched web pages, opened and closed my phone, the request was still there (Decline or Accept). I looked around trying to see if someone was watching me, but other than the guy sitting 2 tables besides me, no one was on their phone or looking at me. I decided to decline but as I looked at the guy that was ''playing'' on his phone besides me. He didn't flinch or look back at me but he did get up a few minutes later and threw his tray in the garbage and left ''normally''.

My question is 1) am I being paranoid (I guess I already know the answer to that one) and 2) is there a chance someone can hack into an iPhone via AirDrop even if the request for file sharing was declined?

I read up online that with the older iOS versions, it was possible but that Apple corrected this in 2015. FWIW I'm on a 6s with version 10.3.2 (but I did not have a passcode before the intrusion)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Can the iPhone be hacked?

It's not easy to hack iPhones, but it is possible. Iphones tend to be better protected than Android phones. If your phone is jailbroken, or not updated to the latest software, the chances for hackers goes up dramatically.

I suspect that the notification you saw was a bug, and not a hack. I would reboot your phone and observe it for suspicious activity. Check your phone's ongoing processes. Observe if the battery drain seems more noticeable. If you notice emails or texts being sent that you didn't send, or apps being installed that you didn't install, then I would take my worry to the next level.

It's at that point where I would go into airplane mode which should disable any control over your phone, and do a complete reset. Then, change all your passwords. Don't restore your phone with any back ups that occurred after the moment of hack. Don't change your passwords until AFTER the reset.

Personally, I think you are fine. However, I reset my phone and tablet every 6 months or so. I also reformat both of my PCs every 6 months or so too. Mostly, because I am crazy and like doing that shit. Also, I like lickity split devices which aren't bogged down by stuff that collects.

Good luck!

Rylant

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Can the iPhone be hacked?

Wow, thanks for the in-depth info Rylant; it's much appreciated! I feel better knowing that my phone has the latest iOS, that it is not jailbroken and that I don't seem to have anything odd going on with it since the incident.

Will REP you when I can.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay