Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3rd overall pick for 10th and 11th

Dobber Sports Stud

Default 3rd overall pick for 10th and 11th

League in my signature. Asked the owner of the 3rd overall pick in this year's entry draft what it would take to get the pick and he wants the 10th and 11th pick. Our league is a dynasty so the draft is for prospects from this year's class. 10 and 11 for 3 feels steep to me given the nature of this year's rookie crop but I figured I'd ask here to get some opinions. Are Middlestat or Valardi head and shoulders above the guys likely to be around at 10-11 or is this draft such a crapshoot that I'd basically be trading 2 lotto tickets for 1 by making this trade?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 3rd overall pick for 10th and 11th

I would rather keep 10 and 11 this year as long as you're confident enough in your scouting ability (or the scouting ability of the guide/list you're using).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quality over quantity if you ask me.

Speaking of scouting, I would suggest that you scout for the best player for the 3rd overall pick. If I had to guess right now that player would be Casey Mittelstadt, but we will know more after the draft.

I would suggest that you ask for a pick in later rounds to go along with the 3rd overall pick; it's worth a try, you never know until you ask.

Congratulations for your 1000th post.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

The Great One

In this year's draft I'm not sure I kind either strategy... Personally I prefer 10 and 11 out of interest though if you did get 3 when would your next pick be?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Deity

First off, I don't think his asking price is out of wack. I'd probably ask for the same thing for my 3rd overall pick if I owned it. The question for me isn't "is it a fair deal"?

The bigger question is the difference in quality from the 3rd overall enough to justify giving up the 10th and 11th overall. In this years draft, I am not sure it is. Of course, prospect drafts are always a crap shoot and none of us truly know the answer or even how your league will draft certain players and who will still be there for those two later picks. I know in most of my drafts, D tend to slide and forwards will go earlier than they should. That being said, I only expect two D to go in the top 11 actual NHL picks so that means there should still be some excellent forwards (and at least one excellent D) for you to choose at 10 and 11.

I'd keep your two picks instead of moving up if that's the asking price.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

keep 10 + 11

Dobber Sports Giant

I think no matter what, since you own 2, you either deal them for 2 (1 lower, 1 higher than what you currently have) or you stand pat.

I'm not against getting the 3rd for your pair of picks but I would be looking to get a late 2nd or early 3rd back as well. You then use the community's knowledge as well as your own to turn that extra pick into a gem!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Icon

10 and 11 should be better than 3 in this year's draft. The difference between 3 and the rest of the top 11 is so small this year that I would way rather have two of them then get the choice of which one of those 9 to take.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm in the minority here but I'm going for 3rd here. I like Mittlestadt, Vilardi, Miro, Glass and Makar. And I doubt any of those guys are around at 10,11.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I'm in the minority here but I'm going for 3rd here. I like Mittlestadt, Vilardi, Miro, Glass and Makar. And I doubt any of those guys are around at 10,11.
    I like all those kids too, but I dont know if the drop off to someone like Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Necas, or quite possibly Tippett (assuming they are all there still) is enough that I'd want to lose two of them for only one of the guys you listed.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I like all those kids too, but I dont know if the drop off to someone like Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Necas, or quite possibly Tippett (assuming they are all there still) is enough that I'd want to lose two of them for only one of the guys you listed.
    I agree with this. There's no clear-cut #3 this year for fantasy hockey purposes, so the drop-off from #3 to #10 isn't huge. Just keep your picks.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I would have to agree with this statement, those are the guys you look at for #3 for pure offense. If you get two guys like, say, Rasmussen and Tolvanen, is that better? I think that's fairly risky.

I think the risk is higher getting just one of 10/11 right, let alone both of them in this draft. Last year this question would be an easier sell to make happen, not so much this year.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Stud

Great insight so far guys... Does it make a difference if I also own the 8th and 12th picks? So now I've got 8-10-11-12 and if I made the trade I'd have 3-8-12

The Great One

As I said above I'm not sure I mind either strategy... Personally when it comes to prospects outside the top few I prefer quantity and this draft is probably one where I'd keep the volume that you have as long as there are no keeper/drop implications by doing it
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    Great insight so far guys... Does it make a difference if I also own the 8th and 12th picks? So now I've got 8-10-11-12 and if I made the trade I'd have 3-8-12
    With you having 8-10-11-12 then I think this makes more sense for you to make the trade to leverage yourself into a high pick. You will get one of the guys talked about at 8 regardless (Glass, Makar?) and your homerun swing at 12. I would do that deal for 3.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+