Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goalie Fallout

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Goalie Fallout

Might we see some trades/shakeups in the next few days?

With Washington and NYR now eliminated, I'm expecting the rights for both Raanta and Grubauer to be moved in the next few days.

Possible destinations?

I think Calgary will be in the mix, but I also expect them to take a run at Saros.

Other landing spots?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Goalie Fallout

Id be interested to see if the Leafs look into one of these goalies as a backup or a 1B. Last year was Andersen's heaviest by a decent amount and had some ups and downs early on, as well as a couple games missed due to injury. A lot of playoff teams now opt to have 2 legit goalies so maybe that is a move Toronto makes this offseason.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Calgary is going to be going hard after fleury. they need a proven number 1, and he's the only one left. and he's clearly proving that he can get things done in the playoffs. the price just keeps going higher and higher with each playoff game!
    I expect the capitals to expose grubauer in the expansion draft. while he will almost definitely be taken, it gives them the insurance that none of their other players will be taken, and while grubuaer is a really good goalie, he's still replaceable to the caps who have phoenix Copley ready to backup holtby next season. and since grubauer's a RFA, there's just about no chance they'd be able to sign him to a contract anyways. he'd want more than a backup's salary after years of great backup work.
    wouldn't surprise me if the rangers try to work out a deal with vegas for them not to take raanta. vegas doesn't need raanta since they'll have plenty of other goalie options (i.e. grubuaer), but the reason that lundqvist was able to play so well in the playoffs was because raanta gave him so many breaks in the regular season. the older lundy gets, the more they'll need to rely on raanta.

FWIW, I think the price on Fleury gets lower as the playoffs go on. Other teams are solidfying their net (Carolina, Dallas) and presumably 2 more are going to solidify their positions with Raanta and Grubauer. Plus with each passing day, the amount of time Pittsburgh has to get rid of him decreases. Can't create a bidding war without time or suitors.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    FWIW, I think the price on Fleury gets lower as the playoffs go on. Other teams are solidfying their net (Carolina, Dallas) and presumably 2 more are going to solidify their positions with Raanta and Grubauer. Plus with each passing day, the amount of time Pittsburgh has to get rid of him decreases. Can't create a bidding war without time or suitors.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was already an agreement loosely in place for Fleury barring a serious injury. I'd say he is gone within 48 hrs of the parade.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

What I think may be a fun hint, is to see some teams adding a 3rd exposure goalie - if they are prepping to make a move.
    WAS could make a deal for Grubauer... so long as they bring in an exposure goalie - which could be a 3rd from a team like CBJ (who has 4, incl. Dansk) or LA (who has 3, incl. Zatkoff & Campbell).
    Once a team has a 3rd goalie for exposure, they can protect their #1 (say Holtby) and trade their #2 (say Grubauer) and expose their new #3 (say Dansk/Zatkoff/Campbell).

Dobber Sports Titan

Rataylor, I think you may be dreaming a bit if you think Saros gets moved

Another name that rarely gets mentioned is Bernier. His play this season showed that he may be ready to at least platoon for a starting position in the Fall. I could see him being a 1B option to start for a team like Philadelphia or Vegas.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

I'm leery of Calgary goalies, after being burned two years in a row now by drafting a goalie from that team. Last year, I grabbed Elliott with the first overall pick in our draft, assuming he was the answer to their long-standing goalie problems. Obviously that didn't work out.

If they acquire Fleury, I'm out of luck because he is already owned. If they go for someone like Saros, Grubauer, or Raanta, I'd have the chance to draft one of them, but they all come with risks (relatively unproven). I just can't help but be intrigued by Calgary, however. I think the right goalie could be fantasy gold on that team.

I think there are quite a few interesting goalie situations right now. In addition to Calgary, I wonder what Winnipeg and Philadelphia will do. I think all three of those teams are up and coming. I also had Carolina on that list until they acquired Darling. He's now a top target for me for the same reasons I'm interested in Calgary's goalie.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Another name that rarely gets mentioned is Bernier. His play this season showed that he may be ready to at least platoon for a starting position in the Fall. I could see him being a 1B option to start for a team like Philadelphia or Vegas.
    I'm with EB on Bernier. He's flying under the radar but he can potentially come in and take the reins with a team in need as a UFA. Another name would be Halak (or at worst Greiss). Halak came back strong to help the Isles in the final stretch and showed that his early season struggles were a thing of the past. If he doesn't fit in the NYI's plans, he still holds a good pedigree for a team in need. Think about it, he was lights out at the World Cup last September, shat the bed early in the 2016-17 season, was lights out in the AHL during his 27-game stint there, then he gets the call-up and plays amazing for the remainder of the season (7 games). All in all, he was more ''good'' than he was ''bad'' last year and I'm sure a team like Calgary has him on their radar considering his cap hit and his term (they can bring in Gillies slowly for the 2018-19 campaign).

On the flip side, if the Ilses do intend to give Halak another shot, they may be inclined to move Greiss who, in the right environment, can thrive as well.

These are the names that have been listed in this thread (just in case we are forgetting some):
    - Fleury
    - Raanta
    - Grubauer
    * Saros
    - Bernier
    - Halak
    - Greiss
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was already an agreement loosely in place for Fleury barring a serious injury. I'd say he is gone within 48 hrs of the parade.
    I don't disagree with this, I just don't think his play is changing the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Rataylor, I think you may be dreaming a bit if you think Saros gets moved

I agree with you, except that I keep reading whispers about his name.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    These are the names that have been listed in this thread (just in case we are forgetting some):
    - Fleury
    - Raanta
    - Grubauer
    * Saros
    - Bernier
    - Halak
    - Greiss
    Technically Bishop should be on that list too since he hasn't signed and could still be on the move somewhere.

Also Niemi, Miller, Lack (or Ward), Budaj, Elliott, Johnson, Mason could all be with a new team next season.

Lots of goalies out there, not many teams that need one.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Raanta I can see, but Grubauer just doesn't scream "answer" to me. Sure - Darling only has about a dozen more career games than Grubauer, but he's also older. When the dust settles I think Grubauer will either be a back-up again, or on LV.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Id be interested to see if the Leafs look into one of these goalies as a backup or a 1B. Last year was Andersen's heaviest by a decent amount and had some ups and downs early on, as well as a couple games missed due to injury. A lot of playoff teams now opt to have 2 legit goalies so maybe that is a move Toronto makes this offseason.
    I'm not sure there's an interest to have a 1b. I'd suspect the Leafs to resign McIl or go after another vet goalie - Chad Johnson esque.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Technically Bishop should be on that list too since he hasn't signed and could still be on the move somewhere.

Also Niemi, Miller, Lack (or Ward), Budaj, Elliott, Johnson, Mason could all be with a new team next season.

Lots of goalies out there, not many teams that need one.
    Ya I didn't list most of those names (had forgot about Mason though) because I doubt any team wants them as a starter, let alone a platoon goalie. But ya, it's going to be a crap-shoot for goalies who are looking for a job...

As for Bishop, I can't see him not signing but everything is possible at this point
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I agree with you, except that I keep reading whispers about his name.
    Curious where these whispers are coming from and in what kind of context, if you have any more insight to provide there?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)