Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tyson Jost

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Tyson Jost

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    If he was in the CHL this year (and his team was eliminated already) would he not be allowed to sign and jump into the AHL?

I think he could get a couple games but then go back to the NCAA, right?

Heres a question. If you had a kid like Jost what advice would you give him between picking the CHL or college? Where would you want him to go?
    In the CHL he could play a few games now in the AHL but he would have to go back to junior or play in the NHL in the next season he is not 20 yet, I wasn't aware he could go back to the NCAA now
    NCAA for the education which is why I'm confused he's leaving already, but a NHL paycheque is enticing
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

The Great One

I meant to say....

I think he could get a couple games but then go back to the CHL, right?

When you sign a pro deal you can't play in the NCAA. That Im sure of.

Either way, Jost is at least 1.5 years away from fantasy relevance, Id say.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I meant to say....

I think he could get a couple games but then go back to the CHL, right?

When you sign a pro deal you can't play in the NCAA. That Im sure of.

Either way, Jost is at least 1.5 years away from fantasy relevance, Id say.
    As far as I know, it doesn't matter if he played in the CHL or NCAA this season. He wasn't drafted out of the CHL, so that stupid rule doesn't apply. Christian Fischer is a recent example of this. He's still only 19 years old and played in the OHL last season but because he was drafted out of USHL, he was able to play in the AHL this season.

Dobber Sports Icon

as far as what ive heard he cant go back to NCAA.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    He wasn't drafted out of the CHL,
    Ah yes. Overlooked that.

Dobber Sports Stud

As far as I know, it doesn't matter if he played in the CHL or NCAA this season. He wasn't drafted out of the CHL, so that stupid rule doesn't apply. Christian Fischer is a recent example of this. He's still only 19 years old and played in the OHL last season but because he was drafted out of USHL, he was able to play in the AHL this season.
    I was not aware of this rule, thanks, so the CHL is the only league in North America that stops its players going to AHL?
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Wfactor View Post
    I was not aware of this rule, thanks, so the CHL is the only league in North America that stops its players going to AHL?
    The only league in the world actually. I have no idea why the NHL is allowing it. I totally understand it from the CHL point of view (they don't want to lose their star players) but the NHL gets nothing out of that deal... It's just weird.

Dobber Sports Icon

The only league in the world actually. I have no idea why the NHL is allowing it. I totally understand it from the CHL point of view (they don't want to lose their star players) but the NHL gets nothing out of that deal... It's just weird.
    The NHL gets a lot out of this deal. Over 50% of all NHL players have played in the CHL. These players are taken care of and trained by the CHL teams for any where from 1 to 5 seasons. The CHL teams do not get anything for that from the NHL teams. Having the ability to keep their 18 and 19 year olds who are not good enough to play in the NHL yet is a big help to these teams. These are the guys that the average fan would have heard of and would be interested in watching play before the make the NHL. Ticket sales are one of the biggest incomes for these leagues.

Getting back to Tyson Jost.

I really don't see any scenario that sees him playing in the AHL next year. If Jost thought that there was a significant chance of him playing in the AHL next year, he would have stayed in school for another year. I don't think an incentive of $70,000 for a year's salary would have been enough to get him to leave school.

The Great One

CHL teams get money depending where their player was drafted.

Dobber Sports Stud

The things that I know for certain are:

(a) once a college player signs a contract, even an amateur tryout, he cannot return to the NCAA, because the NCAA still views this as playing as a professional (expenses are paid for by the team, etc.);

(b) a player that is drafted out of the CHL, except those players that are only playing in the CHL on loan, cannot play in the AHL until they have played 4 CHL seasons or they turn 20 before December 31 of the year that is being considered, whichever comes first. Alex Nylander and Julius Honka are recent examples of 18 year olds being able to play in the AHL the season after they were drafted out of the CHL. That's because they were both on loan from their european clubs.

What I understand is up in the air is whether the same rules that apply to the CHL/AHL agreement might apply to players like Jost that are drafted out of the BCHL and equivalent leagues. It might be that Jost is not allowed to play in the AHL next season. The general public doesn't know what is precisely in the CHL/AHL agreement because it is not a public document. Apparently in 2013-14 Juhjar Khaira was prevented from playing in the AHL so he went to the Everett Silvertips until their season was over before playing in the AHL to finish the season. He was drafted out of the BCHL. Meanwhile, you have Turris that was drafted out of the BCHL, did one year of college, then played part of the year in the NHL but did play some games in the AHL.

I guess we'll see what happens next season IF Jost isn't excelling in the NHL. Will they be able to send him to the NHL or would he have to go to Regina?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Apparently in 2013-14 Juhjar Khaira was prevented from playing in the AHL so he went to the Everett Silvertips until their season was over before playing in the AHL to finish the season. He was drafted out of the BCHL.

I guess we'll see what happens next season IF Jost isn't excelling in the NHL. Will they be able to send him to the NHL or would he have to go to Regina?
    I am pretty sure Khaira dropped out of school and the Oilers decided it was better to send him to Everett than to their AHL theam that season. I do not believe that this player movement had anything to do with the CHL - NHL agreement.

Jost definitely can play in the AHL next season if that is what the Avs want him to do. The Avs could also send him to the CHL where the Regina Pats have his rights. The Avs could also send him to Europe. None of these are likely to happen as Jost will probably be a top 6 forward in Denver next year.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I am pretty sure Khaira dropped out of school and the Oilers decided it was better to send him to Everett than to their AHL theam that season. I do not believe that this player movement had anything to do with the CHL - NHL agreement.

Jost definitely can play in the AHL next season if that is what the Avs want him to do. The Avs could also send him to the CHL where the Regina Pats have his rights. The Avs could also send him to Europe. None of these are likely to happen as Jost will probably be a top 6 forward in Denver next year.
    So you made me find the link: http://web.archive.org/web/201310020...OG12/130819886

It's been a pretty remarkable couple of weeks for the Silvertips, and that continued today with confirmation that 19-year-old power forward Jujhar Khaira will attend Everett's training camp, which begins next Thursday.

Khaira's story has been well documented. Everett acquired his rights during the 2012 bantam draft. He was then a third-round pick by the Edmonton Oilers in the 2012 NHL draft. He chose the NCAA over Everett and had a good freshman season at Michigan Tech in 2012-13, and was expected to return for his sophomore campaign. However, he signed an entry-level contract with the Oilers, thus surrendering his NCAA eligibility. That put him back on Everett's radar.

Well, now it's looking inevitable that Khaira will be suiting up for the Tips this season. Not only will he be attending training camp in Everett, his potential destinations have narrowed. It was originally thought Khaira, because he was an NCAA player, was eligible to play professionally in the minors at 19. However, he wasn't actually drafted out of the NCAA, he was drafted following his season with the BCHL's Prince George Spruce Kings. According to Tips general manager Garry Davidson, the Canadian junior A leagues are subject to the same rules as major junior, meaning players drafted from the BCHL aren't eligible for the minors until they're 20. Therefore, the only places Khaira can play this season are Edmonton or Everett.

Anyways, I look forward to a link to support your statement that "Jost definitely can play in the AHL next season if that is what the Avs want him to do." Presumably it will be from a source at least as credible as a General Manager of a CHL team.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The NHL gets a lot out of this deal. Over 50% of all NHL players have played in the CHL. These players are taken care of and trained by the CHL teams for any where from 1 to 5 seasons. The CHL teams do not get anything for that from the NHL teams. Having the ability to keep their 18 and 19 year olds who are not good enough to play in the NHL yet is a big help to these teams. These are the guys that the average fan would have heard of and would be interested in watching play before the make the NHL. Ticket sales are one of the biggest incomes for these leagues.
    European leagues don't get anything from the NHL when the NHL takes their best players away (unless those players are still under contract). The NCAA doesn't get anything from the NHL when the NHL takes their best players away. I understand the CHL is an important development league but the NHL has no reason for that agreement. The CHL would continue developing their players regardless.

Like I said, I totally understand it from the CHL point of view. Of course they want to keep their best players to increase ticket sales. Every league in the world would want that but for some reason, they don't have that kind of agreement with the NHL.