Thread: Locking Eliminated Teams

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Locking Eliminated Teams

Is this something you guys do? I don't have this implemented but probably should.

Just had a guy who is eliminated and not in any matchup pick up Greiss. It's a keep 8.....if he deals or keeps Greiss I would be shocked.

Administrator

Default Re: Locking Eliminated Teams

My league doesn't allow any signings during the playoff weeks which eliminates this problem entirely. I do agree that inactive teams should remain inactive during these weeks.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

trades at a minimum in my opinion should be eliminated. I have one dynasty I can pick up and another limited keeper where eliminated teams can't add. Only question I have is what does this guy's goalies look like? would Greiss fit as his keeper G? it would explain his elimination from the playoffs, that's for sure!
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

no deadline?

Administrator

Another thing to consider is teams making keeper-implicated signings during playoff weeks prior to being eliminated. For example, a team knows their season is coming to an end so they use whatever remaining transactions on players with next year in mind. Eliminated teams should not be prevented from having that same benefit. So you could put a restriction where players acquired during playoff weeks have to be dropped after the season ends. That way all moves during playoff weeks are "win now" signings.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Most of my leagues don't allow any movements (trades/free agent pick ups, etc) once playoffs start. I think it's the best way to run a league IMO. There is one of my leagues that still allows FA pickups during the playoffs and I am not a fan but I don't run the league. If it's not something you are doing at this point, I would recommend trying to employ this in your league in the off-season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Is this something you guys do? I don't have this implemented but probably should.

Just had a guy who is eliminated and not in any matchup pick up Greiss. It's a keep 8.....if he deals or keeps Greiss I would be shocked.
    The issue I see here is that an eliminated team can block the active teams from making calculated moves while they are gunning for the championship. In this case, if Greiss were to be one of the few starters available on the wire, having him picked up by someone out of the race just for kicks can potentially impact the final results.

Some leagues will lock eliminated teams to avoid them dropping players that can be used by active managers.
    At the end of the day, the way I see it is ''inactive = inactive''. If you are out, you are not permitted to make any moves. If you MUST make a specific move to comply with the roster rules (i.e. must pick up one of your prospects before he reaches his max games played, then the comish may grant that exception and make the move for you at your request or note it down in the league notes so that at the end of the season, the player is still owned by you)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

To me it's league preference.

I'm in leagues that lock transactions during the playoffs, which is fine, but hurts competing teams when it comes to possible injuries.

I'm in leagues that allow waiver wire or free agent transactions for all teams, which also works, but might result in some players becoming available that usually would not have been, potentially adding a boost to the higher waiver prioritized team.

You could also lock only the eliminated teams, and get the best of both worlds.

As long as everyone is aware of the rules and plans accordingly to put themselves in the best position to win, and no one gets stupid with the rules (which in most leagues with good managers they don't) then it should work out.

Dobber Sports Initiate

If they don't have anything to play for (example: draft position, money, etc.) then lock 'em! Nothing worse than going to make a move to maximize starts during a playoff week only to see an eliminated team already added the player you wanted yet they have nothing to play for.

I did have an issue years ago where the locked teams didn't have a chance to add a player that was dropped during the fantasy playoffs and was keepable (Taylor Hall). He was snatched up by a team that was still playing for something but knew he wasn't going to win that week. The next season we added a rule where any player that is added to a team's roster during the fantasy playoffs cannot be kept (and therefore must return to the draft pool) to keep it fair.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My league doesn't allow any signings during the playoff weeks which eliminates this problem entirely. I do agree that inactive teams should remain inactive during these weeks.
    I actually kind of like this...never considered it because we have the whole weekly limit. But that's at 7 right now and we will be lowering it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    The issue I see here is that an eliminated team can block the active teams from making calculated moves while they are gunning for the championship. In this case, if Greiss were to be one of the few starters available on the wire, having him picked up by someone out of the race just for kicks can potentially impact the final results.

Some leagues will lock eliminated teams to avoid them dropping players that can be used by active managers.
    At the end of the day, the way I see it is ''inactive = inactive''. If you are out, you are not permitted to make any moves. If you MUST make a specific move to comply with the roster rules (i.e. must pick up one of your prospects before he reaches his max games played, then the comish may grant that exception and make the move for you at your request or note it down in the league notes so that at the end of the season, the player is still owned by you)
    Yeah to be honest that's why this stuck out to me. I am in a tight battle for wins and I own Mason....guy who is eliminated picked up Greiss. It was before he was confirmed to start and now that he is I would have definitely considered grabbing him to guarantee a win.

Quote Originally Posted by rjfisher83 View Post
    If they don't have anything to play (example: draft position, money, etc.) then lock 'em! Nothing worse than going to make a move to maximize starts during a playoff week only to see an eliminated team already added the player you wanted yet they have nothing to play for.

I did have an issue years ago where the locked teams didn't have a chance to add a player that was dropped during the fantasy playoffs and was keepable (Taylor Hall). He was snatched up by a team that was still playing for something but knew he wasn't going to win that week. The next season we added a rule where any player that is added to a team's roster during the fantasy playoffs cannot be kept (and therefore must return to the draft pool) to keep it fair.
    That's a really good point. Another thing I probably wouldn't have thought of....

Good stuff all around

Dobber Sports Master

we dont allows pikups during my leagues playoff either ; for everyone. we do however have a bigger reserve bench than most leagues (10) and allow you to cycle in and out of fantrax minors spots with fellas that qualify to be called up>sent down .

you head into playoffs with the horses you have - although I like erics method of requiring all pikups made during playoffs needing to be dropped at seasons end as an alternative.