Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Biggest prospect Busts!

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Biggest prospect Busts!

Let's not forget Cam Barker. Chosen third overall after Ovechkin and Malkin.

Way too early, but I think Aaron Ekblad will be on this list in a couple of years.

Depending on your definition of bust, but here are guys that played in the NHL that never met expectations. I find those guys are more frustrating because they're actually in the league instead of just playing in the minors. It makes it harder to drop them.

Jonathan Bernier. He was supposed to be the next great goalie in L.A., and now he's pretty much a backup.

Christ Stewart. Never turned into the power forward we expected.

Justin Schultz. He would have been on this list a year ago, but this year's season in Pittsburgh has removed a lot of doubt.

Grigorenko. Buffalo ruined this kid with the way they played him.

Damien Brunner. Hat trick in his first ever game, played a total of 121 games.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    When exactly do you think goalies tend to peak? The kid is 21 years old. Most goalies don't even begin to sniff the NHL until they are 25 years old at best. Geez, he's not even close to bust territory yet.
    I get that goalies take longer to develop but even when he was on Halifax he didn't have the greatest stats just a ridiculous W/L ratio thanks to Mac/Drouin, and now he can't even put up a decent save% in the AHL or the ECHL still has time to develop but I don't see him being a NHL regular
    14 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Zibanejad
    LW: E.Kane, Panarin, Huberdeau, Marchand, Landeskog
    RW: Rantanen, Zuccarello
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Chychrun, Drysdale
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Markstrom
    Prospects: Carlsson, Raty, Berggren, Miroshnichenko, Othmann, Clarke, Gulyayev, Nikishin, Wallstadt, Wolf

16 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Duchene, Schenn, Johansen, Monahan, Krebs, Pageau
    LW: E.Kane, Pacioretty, Vrana, Hoffman
    RW: Tuch, Stone, Wilson, Batherson, Sprong, Gallagher, Wahlstrom
    D: Dahlin, Hamilton, Letang, Dumba, Kylington, Liljegren
    G: Allen
    Prospects: Byfield, Guenther, Rossi, Perreault, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by DudeImJason View Post
    I get that goalies take longer to develop but even when he was on Halifax he didn't have the greatest stats just a ridiculous W/L ratio thanks to Mac/Drouin, and now he can't even put up a decent save% in the AHL or the ECHL still has time to develop but I don't see him being a NHL regular
    You could end up being right but it's way too early to be mentioning him in a "bust" thread when he is still early into his professional career. Not to mention, he wasn't even a 1st round pick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    No. But I disagree with that logic too. To a large degree. I don't see why moving a specific player for a player imprefer would lead to ending up with a bunch of mediocre prospects. You are using different criterea than I, thus coming to a different conclusion. But we are both making judgements based on projections.

But I don't believe your logic holds as to what I am suggesting. Firstly, I said nothing of trading away all my 70' point potential prospects. But even then how did you come to that determination that STrome is a potential 70 point player and Jost only 60 to 65 or whatever? WHat in reality makes any of those projections more or less accurate that alternative projections? Not to say one won't turn out better than the other, but we have no way of knowing that right?

And what makes you think it's 5%? All these numerical projections are fairly arbitrary. There are other ways to project. There are many in fact and I'm sure everyone has their semi unique criteria for judging prospects.

And if Strome did indeed bust, then I would rather have Jost of cours. And yes, I particularly prefer Jost. But I prefer Keller to both. And how are you so certain I couldn't get Keller for Strome? Aside from the fact that I didn't say one for one, you are assuming all owners think one way. Or even further, or are suggesting there is a proper and thus improper way to come to these conclusions. If someone is so sure and confident that Strome is a 70 point player and take their success for granted, I see no reason they might not accept a STrome org Keller offer. And if not I'd simply add another piece.

I'm sorry, i respect your argument. I just think the logic is false and you are more so judging the way in whichever I project prospects rather than the act of projecting. And thus you are using a very narrow definition of a method not a overall philosophy. It's fine to be critical the method. But let's not mistake it for educated reason. It's simply simply subjective preference.
    You write a lot but actually say nothing. You don't like certain prospects and you like to write about it in multiple threads. I don't really get it but whatever works for you.

By the way, I said you're probably not getting Keller with Strome. I think "probably" is very much not certain but maybe you have a different understanding of that word.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    You write a lot but actually say nothing. You don't like certain prospects and you like to write about it in multiple threads. I don't really get it but whatever works for you.

By the way, I said you're probably not getting Keller with Strome. I think "probably" is very much not certain but maybe you have a different understanding of that word.
    I say nothing? Clearly we should end this discussion. Clearly, you choose not to understand. That's fine.

Sorry I couldn't meet your profound and dually repetitive incite that when it comes to prospects you never know. I'll file that under duh.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    A few of my personal picks are:

Rob Schremp
    Zach Bogosian
    Zach Boychuk
    David Rundblad
    Alex Burmistrov
    Rundblad belongs WAY up on this list of busts. The hype on this forum was huge.

A couple other (purely fantasy hyped) would be:
    E. Tangradi and B. Bennett (and the hope they'd line up with Crosby)
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Icon

A few more:

TJ Hensick
    Jamie McBain
    Zac Dalpe
    Gilbert Dionne
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Genius

Until this season, Justin Schultz was one....

Jim Carey
    Brian Fogarty
    Louis Leblanc
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Monster

My uncle was saying Bill Derlago was being hyped as the next big thing. Had one good season then didn't do much after that.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

Way too early, but I think Aaron Ekblad will be on this list in a couple of years.

Depending on your definition of bust, but here are guys that played in the NHL that never met expectations. I find those guys are more frustrating because they're actually in the league instead of just playing in the minors. It makes it harder to drop them.

Jonathan Bernier. He was supposed to be the next great goalie in L.A., and now he's pretty much a backup.

Justin Schultz. He would have been on this list a year ago, but this year's season in Pittsburgh has removed a lot of doubt.

I think you are right about the expectation part. It's incredibly frustrating. Those were all annoying players to own.

Coutourier is one in that vain. Solid NHL player. Thought he'd be far better.

Some Dmen like hampus Lindholm, maybe Matheson, nurse a few others. I guess you can't call these guys busts. Ntheynplay a ton of minutes and are turning into great defenseman for the NHL. They just, for different reasons have very little offensive input. For fantasy purposes that's really bothersome. Cause these are all likely top 4 Dmen, but guys who might not get the real pp time or attacking line minutes needed. Fantasy busts but not NHL busts I suppose. All though if they really offer great peripherals eventually that could change in some leagues. All 3 could still improve their offense too.

Nurse to me looks like he will be valuable in many leagues whether he scores or not. He seems to be that kind of special peripheral monster. Not as sure about the other two. There are a fair amount of older vets in a similar boat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

I think you are right about the expectation part. It's incredibly frustrating. Those were all annoying players to own.

Coutourier is one in that vain. Solid NHL player. Thought he'd be far better.

Some Dmen like hampus Lindholm, maybe Matheson, nurse a few others. I guess you can't call these guys busts. Ntheynplay a ton of minutes and are turning into great defenseman for the NHL. They just, for different reasons have very little offensive input. For fantasy purposes that's really bothersome. Cause these are all likely top 4 Dmen, but guys who might not get the real pp time or attacking line minutes needed. Fantasy busts but not NHL busts I suppose. All though if they really offer great peripherals eventually that could change in some leagues. All 3 could still improve their offense too.

Nurse to me looks like he will be valuable in many leagues whether he scores or not. He seems to be that kind of special peripheral monster. Not as sure about the other two. There are a fair amount of older vets in a similar boat.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)