Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Biggest prospect Busts!

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Biggest prospect Busts!

So many good ones..founD myself nodding my head at most..none more than Filatov though. Was ecstatic when the Sens landed him...then crickets...
    These guys were ones I was waiting on back in the day, all mentioned above but still recall:
    Jack Campbell
    Gilbert Brule
    Alex Daigle
    Even Al Montoya wasn't as big a deal as I thought he would be...maybe not bust but certainly not up to expectations
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Master

Sam Bennett, Derrick Pouliot, Gustav Nyqvist.. or basically anyone I ever draft that looks to be the "next one". Toffoli has had a rough year. I hop he picks up next year where he left off last year. Guy is supposed to drive the offense...

Bennett annoys me the most. I know he is still young and there is still time... (I got burned by Okposo like this), but the guy was said to have the best offensive instincts and skills of his drafty class, regardless of whether he could do a pull-up or not... Draisaitl, Reinhart, Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin, Fabbri, Pastrnak, Point, certainly Arvidsson and now even Ho-Sang, all look better. Scherbak, Virtanen and Dal Colle might catch him in terms of bust status, but here is a guy who is a top 5 pick who is supposed to be a great offensive player and who seems more concerned with starting fights each game rather than putting the puck in the net, which is the reason why he was drafted.

Man, do I regret that pick. I took him over Kucherov. Over Kucherov!! I have only myself to blame, but how could so many scouts be so wrong....?

Nyqvist has my true vote though. The guy looked untouchable when he scored 28 goals in 50 some odd games, including this one below. How does a guy who looks that strong and fast, dragging an NHL defenceman for 50 feet to score a goal, wither away so easily?.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKXoZC8EwU
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Sam Bennett, Derrick Pouliot, Gustav Nyqvist.. or basically anyone I ever draft that looks to be the "next one". Toffoli has had a rough year. I hop he picks up next year where he left off last year. Guy is supposed to drive the offense...

Bennett annoys me the most. I know he is still young and there is still time... (I got burned by Okposo like this), but the guy was said to have the best offensive instincts and skills of his drafty class, regardless of whether he could do a pull-up or not... Draisaitl, Reinhart, Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin, Fabbri, Pastrnak, Point, certainly Arvidsson and now even Ho-Sang, all look better. Scherbak, Virtanen and Dal Colle might catch him in terms of bust status, but here is a guy who is a top 5 pick who is supposed to be a great offensive player and who seems more concerned with starting fights each game rather than putting the puck in the net, which is the reason why he was drafted.

Man, do I regret that pick. I took him over Kucherov. Over Kucherov!! I have only myself to blame, but how could so many scouts be so wrong....?

Nyqvist has my true vote though. The guy looked untouchable when he scored 28 goals in 50 some odd games, including this one below. How does a guy who looks that strong and fast, dragging an NHL defenceman for 50 feet to score a goal, wither away so easily?.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKXoZC8EwU
    Missing out on Kuch for Bennet does sound really painful. Bennett is a real good one though. He and RNH I think are on similar paths.

And Detroit took a huge dip. Tatar too, all though he's been grtting a bit better.
    With Mantha and Larkin, Detroit fans could be really hurting for some years to come. I'm not sure that all 4 of those Wings might end up as disappointments.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Monster

Scott Scissons
    Pat Falloon

Both played in the old school warrior days

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    That reminds me - Nikolai Zherdev.
    Definitely. Seems like it may have taken Russian scouting a while to perfect itself. Really or Russian players had a habit of getting overhyped. Zherdev amongst them.

A lot of people blame the Rangers for ruining Kovalev. Eventually he got better. But no where near what was first expected.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Jedi

Tyler Biggs,
    Stuart Percy,
    Scott Glennie
    Mark Visentin
    Joey Hishon
    Duncan Siemens
    Griffin Reinhart
    Kyle Beach

Justin Pogge - based on the trade of Rask to Bos. thinking he was the future (you could argue the Leafs busted on his development more than he busted in their system)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Good lists here, I was certainly duped by a few of these players.

Brett Connolly, Emerson Etem, Brandon Gormley, and Dmitry Kulikov are a few others that have busted recently.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post

Brett Connolly, Emerson Etem, Brandon Gormley, and Dmitry Kulikov are a few others that have busted recently.
    he maybe saving himself from full inclusion on this list... there appears to be life
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    he maybe saving himself from full inclusion on this list... there appears to be life
    Maybe. He hasn't gone full Yakupov quite yet though I would be impressed if he even becomes as relevant as Gagner is currently. Still young enough to hold a little hope for BC.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Wizard

I was a little shocked earlier this season when people were calling Elias Lindholm a bust. I preached patience, and things are starting to look pretty good now.

Dylan Strome has done nothing to move towards bust status as of now. Maybe he doesn't have 90 point upside which was perhaps expected after his draft but if he becomes a solid 70 point player, is he a bust then? I would be pretty happy with that.

Sam Bennett is another player who requires some patience in my opinion. Again, maybe he's not an 80 point player but could be a solid 65 point player with strong peripherals.

Zacha, Juolevi and Dubois, there's no reason to think they'll be busts either. They still project to become anywhere from good to great NHL players. And Dal Colle was pretty great after his trade from Oshawa, and he's had a good rookie season in the AHL. I think there's a good chance of him becoming a good NHL player as well.

If you start giving up on players when they're 19 and 20, you'll give up on 95% of the prospects. Very few of them can continue impressing year after year with no hiccups. And even the ones who do, it doesn't mean they're definitely going to be great NHL players. But to each his own I guess. I'm very happy buying low on players like these.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I was a little shocked earlier this season when people were calling Elias Lindholm a bust. I preached patience, and things are starting to look pretty good now.

Dylan Strome has done nothing to move towards bust status as of now. Maybe he doesn't have 90 point upside which was perhaps expected after his draft but if he becomes a solid 70 point player, is he a bust then? I would be pretty happy with that.

Sam Bennett is another player who requires some patience in my opinion. Again, maybe he's not an 80 point player but could be a solid 65 point player with strong peripherals.

Zacha, Juolevi and Dubois, there's no reason to think they'll be busts either. They still project to become anywhere from good to great NHL players. And Dal Colle was pretty great after his trade from Oshawa, and he's had a good rookie season in the AHL. I think there's a good chance of him becoming a good NHL player as well.

If you start giving up on players when they're 19 and 20, you'll give up on 95% of the prospects. Very few of them can continue impressing year after year with no hiccups. And even the ones who do, it doesn't mean they're definitely going to be great NHL players. But to each his own I guess. I'm very happy buying low on players like these.
    Amen brother! +1
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post

Brett Connolly, Emerson Etem, and Dmitry Kulikov are a few others that have busted recently.
    lol oh man I forgot about these too... and I drafted them too!! lol

Cody Ceci also... Will be an NHL regular, but a star offensive defenceman I do not see. 35+ pts. Maybe 40. Which is still quite good, just not great and certainly not elite.

Kulikov just looked soooo amazing in Junior. The fact it didn't translate surprised me. Etem and Connolly... I don't know what to say, other than their game seemed built solely on speed and physical attributes rather than elite hockey sense. Oh well..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

Certainly some good guys on those lists. Whenever I think of overvaluing prospects, I think of guys that we got hung up on because we saw "upside." If you have a few minutes, please take moment to appreciate this post from 2009. There are some beauty statements in there: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...d-Frolik-Oshie

I like looking back at posts like these whenever I get sucked into the 'potential trap' too far.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post

It's not that we are expecting them to bust. I think it's more we are concerned, more concerned than about other players. And that is very important when it comes to drafting and fantasy play.

So, I probably wouldn't draft Dylan Strome. If I owned him, I'd try to trade him for someone I had more confidence in like Keller, or even Jost.

All NHL prospects are projected for success. You don't get drafted if people assume you can't cut it. Yet only like 20% or maybe less of all prospects actually make the NHL. Even less reach the heights they were projected for. So if you go into it thinking all prospects are the same and equal, you are going to have a ton of fantasy disappointments.

You have to start giving up on players when they are 20 because you have to make roster decisions and you are limited in number. Of course you will be wrong often, but hopefully, using distinction, hopefully you are right a whole bunch too.

So that's fine if you like Strome and think he will succeed. But if your optimistic about every prospect, you are going to draft poorly a whole lot.

That type of relativistic perspective and the choice to be optimistic about all prospects in such a way just doesn't work for fantasy sports. It's a road to nowhere and helps no one.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Certainly some good guys on those lists. Whenever I think of overvaluing prospects, I think of guys that we got hung up on because we saw "upside." If you have a few minutes, please take moment to appreciate this post from 2009. There are some beauty statements in there: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...d-Frolik-Oshie

I like looking back at posts like these whenever I get sucked into the 'potential trap' too far.
    It's far safer and more realistic to assume most prospects will fail, because they will. The prospects I like the most are those that I believe have the best chance not to fail. Of course that hardly makes prediction success of 100%. But especially in Dynasty, owners need a way of rooting through the masses and finding a gem. Unless you get to draft a guy like McDavid, who stands a less chance of failure than other prospects. And then still there is a good chance that player won't be what you thought they'd be.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.