Thread: Seth Jones - the new Hedman?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Seth Jones - the new Hedman?

Hi all!

Just wanted your impressions about Seth Jones.
    He is having a great year, do you think he will continue to bloom and maybe become Hedman like?

Do you think that Columbus will be a good team in the next few years?

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Seth Jones - the new Hedman?

I would say that's his absolute ceiling. I am a big fan of Jones, and I think he has room to grow as a very talented defenceman. Best case scenario he gets to where Hedman is now. More likely he's a step below it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think he is and will be a better Dman than Hedman.. but that usually results in sacrificed offensive production. So agree with EB, he won't hit Hedman level's - mind you this is also a new level of production for Hedman. So is this a career year for him? Or the new norm? That perspective needs to be taken as well. Personally, we're seeing him make a break from the peloton of offensive Dmen n try to catch he outlier group o elite dmen. I think he gets caught in between.

Jones is will at or near the front of the peloton.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think he'll be the Pietrangelo to Shattenkirk or the Weber to Josi (while they were playing together) but to Werenski. Its not bad by all means and they're gonna be a heck of a pair for a long time but Werenski is the more offensive minded D and I think he's the one who's gonna reach Hedman like stats. I see Jones as 42-55 pts D-men and Werenski more of 48-60 pts. Also, if its multi-cat, it might be closer between them in term of fantasy value but Werenski is the Hedman of the pair.
    16 teams Dynasty H2H, 25 Pro 17 Farm 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 6B
    Cats: G, A, P, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%

C: Mackinnon, Matthews, Seguin(RW), Stamkos(LW/RW), Couturier
    LW: E. Kane, Pacioretty, Rakell(RW), Miller(RW), Palat, Johnsson
    RW: Voracek, Dadonov(LW), Pavelski(C), Eberle, Olofsson
    D: Burns, Jones, Ristolainen, Gustafsson, Weber, Fowler, D.Toews
    G: Hellebucyk, Varlamov, Mrazek

Farm: R.Suzuki, Garland, Kostin, A.Thomas, Appleton,
    Kahun, Marody, Dorofeyev, Paul, Lizotte, Fox, ¨Perunovich, Beaudin, Rosen, Walker, Brook

Dobber Sports Ace

Hedman is the undisputed #1 D-man on his team and he gets all of the premium ice-time that he can handle.

Jones has to share the quality ice-time with Werenski, so this will affect his numbers.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

The Great One

Some very good insight ITT - rep given. I think he might be more a Pietrangelo because in Hedman's case he didn't really have any impediment to his scoring, he was just coming into his own. Jones could have Werenski sucking up all the top PP time, which will hurt him.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Master

Jones has the ability to play second fiddle to Werenski and still score 50 points in a season. I've tried to acquire him in my keeper league, but with no success. He will be an absolute beast in another season or two.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Part of Hedman's ascent this year has been the Stamkos injury. Tampa hasn't typically given Hedman the prime powerplay minutes before, because they prefer a righty to set up Stammer on the powerplay. There is a chance he regresses at least somewhat next year with a healthy Stamkos

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by HabsBlood View Post
    Part of Hedman's ascent this year has been the Stamkos injury. Tampa hasn't typically given Hedman the prime powerplay minutes before, because they prefer a righty to set up Stammer on the powerplay. There is a chance he regresses at least somewhat next year with a healthy Stamkos
    Either that, or Stamkos' alpha-dog status on the PP just got Wally Pipped. After all, Hedman is one point away from being tied for the lead among the ENTIRE NHL in PPPts.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Padawan

Jones is a great defenseman, but is helped by a great team, which has a great year. Can they repeat the same level of success next year? I don't think so,,,
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev

The Great One

Personally I totally get the Hedman comparison - a really good d man who's lack of pp time due to others being 'better suited' limits his upside. Hedman only got the PP time due to injuries and I think Jones is also in the same boat and without that will sit in the 40s most seasons before that big season due to an uptick in PP time - issue is predicting when that might happen
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

I really like jones, but I can't compare him to hedman. a lot of posters here r saying that hedman only got his PP time due to injuries, and while that it true, he has more than proved his worth and won't lose that PP time going forward. I think he has arrived in the top tier of dmen, along with burns, karlsson and letang. there's no way I can see jones in that upper tier of dmen with him having to (at best) share PP time with werenski for the next decade. second tier dman - yes. ridiculously good fantasy dman - yes. top tier dman - I think that's asking a bit too much from him.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think the Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk comparison is pretty accurate for Jones/Werenski in the coming years. However I'm holding out hope it turns more into a Weber/Josi situation.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)