Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I purchased a treadmill the other day...

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: I purchased a treadmill the other day...

hahahah ^^^^

no i wont be going that fast. i guess if i was down to 180 lbs i would run. Dam....thats got me thinking of a long term goal of running in a 3 or 5 mile marathon.

I'm jotting that one down

- - - Updated - - -

hahahah ^^^^

no i wont be going that fast. i guess if i was down to 180 lbs i would run. Dam....thats got me thinking of a long term goal of running in a 3 or 5 mile marathon.

I'm jotting that one down

Dobber Sports Icon

Every time I hear the word treadmill all I can think about is Nail Yakupov's first Oiler workout after being drafted. He had never seen or used a treadmill before so he hurt himself. It's a funny story.

Dobber Sports Sage

Pheidippides would take exception at your "3 to 5 mile marathon" comment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheidippides

Yeah youre talking about doing a 5K to start then maybe work up to a 10K. Actual marathon running is not for everyone. I know some people like it but the thrill escapes me.

The treadmill is about 1/6th less effective at working your legs and burning calories than training on solid earth. The machine eliminates the need for you to propel yourself forward. But if you live in some snowblasted hellscape in Canada then its a very good purchase, as you risk frostbite and moose attacks when training outdoors in many locales of the country. And when you are ready to start low-intensity jogging, the soft bouncy deck of the treadmill really saves a lot of wear and tear on your joints, especially if you are on the heavy side. So good luck with it, use it every day for many days in a row and you will be getting somewhere.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Every time I hear the word treadmill all I can think about is Nail Yakupov's first Oiler workout after being drafted. He had never seen or used a treadmill before so he hurt himself. It's a funny story.
    So that's what happened to him.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Pheidippides would take exception at your "3 to 5 mile marathon" comment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheidippides

Yeah youre talking about doing a 5K to start then maybe work up to a 10K. Actual marathon running is not for everyone. I know some people like it but the thrill escapes me.

The treadmill is about 1/6th less effective at working your legs and burning calories than training on solid earth. The machine eliminates the need for you to propel yourself forward. But if you live in some snowblasted hellscape in Canada then its a very good purchase, as you risk frostbite and moose attacks when training outdoors in many locales of the country. And when you are ready to start low-intensity jogging, the soft bouncy deck of the treadmill really saves a lot of wear and tear on your joints, especially if you are on the heavy side. So good luck with it, use it every day for many days in a row and you will be getting somewhere.
    Care to back up that claim about the treadmill being that much less effective (I assume you mean 16% less effective or so?). I've never heard that number before but have read that setting the incline at 1% basically counteracts any potential wind resistance that you would get from being outside (and at paces that are higher than most recreational runners even run at anyways so it's not really an issue), and that it acts basically the same way on your body, and on your vo2 max.

I also find it way easier on the body to run outside compared to the treadmill, but that's probably mostly psychological (and I run a lot of trails and not track/road).