Thread: NHL teams are terrible coming off their 5 day break

Dobber Sports Deity

Default NHL teams are terrible coming off their 5 day break

Friedman posted this tweet before last nights games.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...74953218097152

With MON/WASH losses, teams are now 3-13 out of break. CHI, NASH, TB all returning tonight
    All three of those teams last night (CHI, TB, NASH) lost their games last night so that means teams are 3-16 coming off the break.

Brutal!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: NHL teams are terrible coming off their 5 day break

Not surprising. Three in four, or 35 in 71 or whatever some others teams are trying to deal with can get tough on rest. A week long lay off is great for healing some bumps and bruises and taking the foot off the pedal for a moment but sometimes you get too refaced. Terrible for in game timing and intensity on an individual player level.

Dobber Sports Master

I had a feeling this would happen. These guys are professional hockey players and are used to the rigours of playing a condensed schedule. While the rest might be good for those nursing injuries, it is easy to see how their timing, intensity and speed could be thrown off after such a long and unaccustomed lay off.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ninja

Small sample size.

Chicago was by far the better team than the Oilers last night and lost due to a hot goalie and bad luck.

Maybe there is something to the bye week rest idea but until we get a few seasons worth of data I wouldn't read much into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Small sample size.

Chicago was by far the better team than the Oilers last night and lost due to a hot goalie and bad luck.

Maybe there is something to the bye week rest idea but until we get a few seasons worth of data I wouldn't read much into it.

Banned

I don't like the bye week but I feel that most players should be ok with the rest since they technically have bye weeks all the time in college, ahl, and junior. Often times you only play on the weekend in those leagues

Dobber Sports Rookie

It's like running a race. You run hard - sweat - get in a rhythm and pace yourself, then when you sit down for a bit and try and get back up and do it again you typically do not perform at the same level until you kind of get going again. The cream will rise to the top though - so the teams that were strong pre-break will gain their momentum again.

- - - Updated - - -

It's like running a race. You run hard - sweat - get in a rhythm and pace yourself, then when you sit down for a bit and try and get back up and do it again you typically do not perform at the same level until you kind of get going again. The cream will rise to the top though - so the teams that were strong pre-break will gain their momentum again.

The Great One

Reminds me a bit of seed 1 versus seed 8....when seed 1 has it locked up early and is coasting at the end of the year, where seed 8 is battling every game right until the end to make the playoffs. there is something to be said about being in a groove...

Dobber Sports Guru

I wonder how much of it is because there's not enough practice time when they come back. They're gone for five days, and often have a game on the sixth or seventh day. That leaves just one practice to get back into the groove. That's not enough to get the team ready and focused after such a long layoff.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't bye it.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Good link.
    It doesn't surprise me, the losing after the bye.
    Hockey is definitely a rhythm game - time off is not good for chemistry.
    Long term, the rest and mental break are still probably a net benefit for teams.
    A few losses never hurts to get the team to reinvest in themselves anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Good link.
    It doesn't surprise me, the losing after the bye.
    Hockey is definitely a rhythm game - time off is not good for chemistry.
    Long term, the rest and mental break are still probably a net benefit for teams.
    A few losses never hurts to get the team to reinvest in themselves anyways.