Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Subban Still a Top 5 Defenseman?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Is Subban Still a Top 5 Defenseman?

The one * I put behind the explode if Shatty gets traded scenario is that it doesn't always work out that way. I have been burned in the past by a player getting traded to a team that should be an improvement but their stats either get worse or stay the same. A good case study is Keith Yandle. Put up some monster 50+ point seasons with the Yotes went to New York a seemingly better team and didn't produce any better. Now with Florida who is young and upcoming (lots of injuries this year though) is producing at even a worse clip. However I do think Yandle in his second year and beyond will produce like a 45 point defence but still not to the early desert dog years.

The point I am making I guess is that change does not always equal production.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Ninja

Def not a top 5 anymore

Dobber Sports Ninja

Def not a top 5 anymore

Dobber Sports All-Star

No, not top 5 right now. Top 10? Likely. Can he become a top 5 again? Yes. It all depends on how well he integrates into Nashville next year. I think Subbans floor is around 40-45 points and his ceiling is 60ish. He has added value in leagues with hits/blocks etc. On a young and dynamic Nashville team I think there is room for two top D men. Just my opinion.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Superstar

Top 5, Top 10, I wouldn't worry about that too much, he's a top defenceman who can jump in and out of the top 5, which is what most defensemen will do year to year. Give him a pass for this as a transition year with some injury issues. Look for a bounce back next season.

To the justinsane guy, I would be keeping Subban as one of my 2 personally. He has the highest upside of all your guys with a reasonable floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Top 5, Top 10, I wouldn't worry about that too much, he's a top defenceman who can jump in and out of the top 5, which is what most defensemen will do year to year. Give him a pass for this as a transition year with some injury issues. Look for a bounce back next season.

To the justinsane guy, I would be keeping Subban as one of my 2 personally. He has the highest upside of all your guys with a reasonable floor.

Dobber Sports Deity

Top 10 maybe but not a top five.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    He needs a mulligan. I am not thrilled either but he's still got a really good track record.
    my thoughts exactly.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Pro

He needs to be on the top PP to have a chance at being a top 5 scoring d man... if he is on 2nd PP w/ Ellis instead of top PP w/ Josi (or instead of Josi), then nah.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

yeah indeed, the fact that he is playing on the 2nd PP kills his fantasy value alot. I wonder why Laviolette is not placing Subban into Weber's role on the 1st PP. He has a great shot (not Weber like but still) and is a righty. They had great succes in the past with this combination (Josi/Weber) on the PP. Anyone knows if they tried to put them together at least once??

We also have to think about Subban's salary, coaches will tell you that it doesnt matter how much X player is making $$$ but Poile certainly didnt trade away Weber for Subban with is astronomous salary (9M/YR) with the intention of only letting him play 20 min/gms and 2nd PP.. no?
    16 teams Dynasty H2H, 25 Pro 17 Farm 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 6B
    Cats: G, A, P, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%

C: Mackinnon, Matthews, Seguin(RW), Stamkos(LW/RW), Couturier
    LW: E. Kane, Pacioretty, Rakell(RW), Miller(RW), Palat, Johnsson
    RW: Voracek, Dadonov(LW), Pavelski(C), Eberle, Olofsson
    D: Burns, Jones, Ristolainen, Gustafsson, Weber, Fowler, D.Toews
    G: Hellebucyk, Varlamov, Mrazek

Farm: R.Suzuki, Garland, Kostin, A.Thomas, Appleton,
    Kahun, Marody, Dorofeyev, Paul, Lizotte, Fox, ¨Perunovich, Beaudin, Rosen, Walker, Brook

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Justinsane87 View Post
    yeah indeed, the fact that he is playing on the 2nd PP kills his fantasy value alot. I wonder why Laviolette is not placing Subban into Weber's role on the 1st PP. He has a great shot (not Weber like but still) and is a righty. They had great succes in the past with this combination (Josi/Weber) on the PP. Anyone knows if they tried to put them together at least once??

We also have to think about Subban's salary, coaches will tell you that it doesnt matter how much X player is making $$$ but Poile certainly didnt trade away Weber for Subban with is astronomous salary (9M/YR) with the intention of only letting him play 20 min/gms and 2nd PP.. no?
    Josi had a powerplay goal on the weekend that was assisted by Neal and Subban. Not sure if they were on the ice at the same time for it or how it happened, I just know I was pumped as a Josi, Neal and Subban owner in one of my leagues!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Josi had a powerplay goal on the weekend that was assisted by Neal and Subban. Not sure if they were on the ice at the same time for it or how it happened, I just know I was pumped as a Josi, Neal and Subban owner in one of my leagues!
    As both a Subban and Josi owner, I was pumped to see this as well. I can't see why they don't load up the #1 PP unit. It would be lethal. They would still have a strong #2 with Ellis and Ekholm. Fingers crossed they use this system more often.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen