Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Please, please, please tell us more about this Holiday; especially origins and included traditions!
    Am not 100% on the origin, I heard before it had to do with the Merchants in my town who wanted a Civic Holiday on the 2nd, I seen one person from my town said they just wanted another holiday because they needed another day to recover from drinking over the holidays. Edit, just read a Global News article on this day and sure enough that is what it says too. That the workers in town were still "wrestling" with the New Years hangover. I think its silly, don't really like it, but to my luck everything was open yesterday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1752511/w...ake-residents/

It’s a civic holiday that dates back to the 40s, and was officially made a by-law in 1959. According to the Tourism Williams Lake website, the day was created by two merchants, Alistair MacKenzie and Sid Western. On Jan. 2 of an unknown year, as they looked out their shop windows on to the snowy and deserted streets and decided residents should be given the day off. No one should work and they should be with their community members and loved ones. There are rumours the day was named because people were still ‘wrestling’ with their New Year’s Day hangover.Following a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ in the town, Wrestling Day was created the day after New Year’s Day.
    For many years the day did not include any actual wrestling. However, the local wrestling clubs are now planning some events to make the day more about wrestling and not just a day off.
    One mayor in the 70s attempted to end the holiday, but due to community backlash, it stays to this day.
    Wrestling Day is only a civic holiday in Williams Lake, but some other Canadian provinces have stat holidays unique to their residents.
    Newfoundland and Labrador have Discovery Day on the nearest Monday to June 24. It is a day to celebrate a man named Giovanni Caboto’s (also known as John Cabot). He discovered the island portion of the province in 1497 and it has been a holiday since 1997.
    The province also has St. George’s Day on the Monday closest to April 23 each year. Legend has it, St. George killed a dragon and saved a princess, but historically he was a Roman soldier who was executed for being a Christian on April 23, 303 CE.
    In Manitoba, residents celebrate Louis Riel Day on the third Monday of February. Riel was a man behind making Manitoba the fifth Canadian province.
    On a side-note, Rogers Hometown hockey is coming this weekend, so anyone who is watching it, that is my town. Going to be fun, suppose to be a lot of activities and they're closing down like 2 streets. Can't wait!

Administrator

Hopefully they have live wrestling during Rogers Hometown Hockey!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Hopefully they have live wrestling during Rogers Hometown Hockey!
    Hopefully Ron McLean interviews 'StuntMan12' from Dobber to talk about Fantasy Hockey in Williams Lake ... LOL. I should have had a Dobber jersey or toque so people on TV knew I was there

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Am impatiently waiting for an update on my package. I put $50 american in the sleeve of a hockey card (probably not the smartest thing but didn't want to make him go through the trouble of cashing in a money order and all this stuff, also put in a birthday card. I hope it gets there safely. I was having fun checking for updates last night but now I'm getting mad lolol. Hasn't even been 24 hours and I'm freaking out because there hasn't been one updateyet
    It will get there without issue, I'm sure. Breathe Stuntman, breathe!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    It will get there without issue, I'm sure. Breathe Stuntman, breathe!
    I can sleep good tonight Comish! It's in Vancouver as we speak. About 7 hour drive away from me lol. I see there is a flight from Vancouver to JFK Airport in New York tonight so maybe it will be on there. This is cool. Now I'm excited again haha. The updates are a little slow. I think it was process down there early this afternoon but only got updated on the website about an hour ago.

Dobber Sports Monster

So Hometown Hockey is in my town today, tomorrow and Sunday. Jyrke Lumma and Kirk McLean going to be doing autographs tomorrow. That will be exciting. When I was an avid Canuck fan, I bought a cheap radio at Shoppers Drug Mart so I could listen to the 3rd period of Canuck games when it was past my bed time. McLean use to be my favorite goalie, thought he was the best goalie in the league lol.

Dobber Sports Monster

Here is the preview to Hometown Hockey in Williams Lake.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...liams-lake-bc/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    So Hometown Hockey is in my town today, tomorrow and Sunday. Jyrke Lumma and Kirk McLean going to be doing autographs tomorrow. That will be exciting. When I was an avid Canuck fan, I bought a cheap radio at Shoppers Drug Mart so I could listen to the 3rd period of Canuck games when it was past my bed time. McLean use to be my favorite goalie, thought he was the best goalie in the league lol.
    Awesome! Kirk McLean was a pretty good goalie in his day. Lumme was underrated in my opinion. The Canucks had some decent teams in those days, just couldn't bring it home!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Awesome! Kirk McLean was a pretty good goalie in his day. Lumme was underrated in my opinion. The Canucks had some decent teams in those days, just couldn't bring it home!
    Yeah no doubt. Going to bring back a lot of memories, especially when I use to be a Canuck fan LOL. Once Bure left town so did my heart ... lol

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Random Thought - we were discussing this at work today.

What would happen if Pinnochio said ' My Nose Will Grow'

Dobber Sports Monster

When Ron McLean and Tara Sloan do the pre-game of the Vancouver - Montreal pre game stuff I should be in the background with a "HI ESKIMO BROTHER" or a "HI EB" sign.

Say hi to my buddy EB! lol. I'm going to try and get close to there anyhow. Man it's going to be packed around there. I seen they set up everything in the downtown core and I seen a sportsnet bus.

Dobber Sports Monster

Rogers Hometown Hockey is here! Going to go there and check it out. Rob McLean isn't here until tomorrow by the sounds of it but Tara Sloan is.

Dobber Sports Monster

I checked out hometown hockey today but was too late to get an autograph/picture with Kirk McLean or Jyrke Lumme. Was a minute late then they said that is it for now. Going to be there early tomorrow to get one with either player.

Dobber Sports Monster

Make sure to tune into hometown hockey today 6:30 PM EASTERN. Its going to be live in Williams Lake. I'll be wearing a USA World Cup of Hockey jersey. I wanted to wear my team Russia jersey but it's too small on me. The USA jersey is the only one that fits me lmao. I bough the USA jersey because it was on sale for like $20 ... lol. Trust me, I'll be the only one wearing a USA jersey there so if you see one in the background then it's me lmao.

Dobber Sports Monster

Lol I got on TV once. Couldn't get a good place to stand. It was cold because of the wind. Was fun though.