Thread: Stolarz and Gillies outlook...?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Stolarz and Gillies outlook...?

What do you think are Stolarz' and Gillies chances of getting a shot at a starting gig next year?

There are a few parallels between the two. Both are 3rd string now behind a couple of underperforming vets. All of Elliott, Johnson, Mason and Neuvirth are UFAs after this season - so what's the managements plan for the future? It's not like these four seem to be irreplacable, yet they might still get an extension...

Is it realistic to think that one or even both of Stolarz and Gillies will be starters next season? Whose chances do you like better short term? Long term? Stolarz as been very solid in the AHL so far. Gillies less so, but he was out for a whole season last year and probably still the heir apparent... What's your best guess? Or do you even have some knowledge about Phillys and Calagarys plans that I don't?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Stolarz and Gillies outlook...?

i wouldn't expect either one to become the starter. stolarz should be fully entrenched as a backup though, behind one of mason or neuvirth (i'd assume mason). gillies is still another year or two away. he's struggling in the ahl this year (which is normal for ahl rookie goalies) so he isn't ready for the big time yet.
    it's extremely rare for a team to plan on going with a rookie as their starting goalie. i'd expect the flames to sign or trade for one of the big names on the market.
    short term - stolarz, since he'll probably be in the nhl next year.
    long term - gillies. he's regarded as the goalie of the future for the flames, while stolarz will have hart, sandstrom and a ton of others to contend with for the flyers job in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

i wouldn't expect either one to become the starter. stolarz should be fully entrenched as a backup though, behind one of mason or neuvirth (i'd assume mason). gillies is still another year or two away. he's struggling in the ahl this year (which is normal for ahl rookie goalies) so he isn't ready for the big time yet.
    it's extremely rare for a team to plan on going with a rookie as their starting goalie. i'd expect the flames to sign or trade for one of the big names on the market.
    short term - stolarz, since he'll probably be in the nhl next year.
    long term - gillies. he's regarded as the goalie of the future for the flames, while stolarz will have hart, sandstrom and a ton of others to contend with for the flyers job in the future.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Expecting either of them to be starting goalies at the NHL level next year is a bit crazy. Goalies usually need at least 2-3 years of backup/1B goalie experience at the NHL level before they can become starters, and that's pretty much the best case scenario. John Gibson and Andrei Vasilevsky are some of the best young goalies to come into the league in recent years, and even they needed that 2-3 years. Hellebuyck was a much better prospect than Stolarz and Gillies, and he has struggled big time this year.

I believe Calgary will add a proven starter. Philly could do the same or they could continue rolling with Mason.

Stolarz and Gillies could both become starting goalies but that's likely 3-5 years away. But it's more likely that neither of them becomes a starting goalie. That's just the fact of life with goalie prospects.

- - - Updated - - -

Expecting either of them to be starting goalies at the NHL level next year is a bit crazy. Goalies usually need at least 2-3 years of backup/1B goalie experience at the NHL level before they can become starters, and that's pretty much the best case scenario. John Gibson and Andrei Vasilevsky are some of the best young goalies to come into the league in recent years, and even they needed that 2-3 years. Hellebuyck was a much better prospect than Stolarz and Gillies, and he has struggled big time this year.

I believe Calgary will add a proven starter. Philly could do the same or they could continue rolling with Mason.

Stolarz and Gillies could both become starting goalies but that's likely 3-5 years away. But it's more likely that neither of them becomes a starting goalie. That's just the fact of life with goalie prospects.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

1. Stolarz versus Mason versus Neuvirth.

You need to note that Stolarz could end up on Vegas. Stolarz is a Flyer next year full time unless he is stupidly left unprotected or they make a deal to get a better keeper before the deadline. He's proven at the AHL level. The Flyers have to upgrade from Mason, and Neuvirth cannot stay healthy, so he can't be that guy alone. I'd hope for Stolarz to be a tandem guy or a backup next year, and I cannot fathom he's not one of those things and on the Flyers if healthy.

Mason clearly wants to be the guy, and Neuvirth is content with timeshare from what the local media seems to say. I'd let Mason walk. Neuvirth may be back as half the combo, hoping for the best or they'll find somebody else. One of the guys I'd be interested in them bringing in is covered below.

2. Gillies versus Elliott versus Johnson
    Gillies is thought to be the heir apparent, and has a higher pedigree than Stolarz. He is also further out, and struggling in the AHL which isn't a good sign.

If Calgary is smart, they bring back Johnson, and let Elliott go. I suspect they may underrate Johnson, who is a guy I wish I researched before my draft, as I may have ignored Elliott. Johnson has been pretty much average or better everywhere he's been, except the Isles. That's 6 teams in 7 years with the only time he played 2 years for one team was a single relief appearance with the Rangers in his second year on the team. I honestly think Johnson may be the most underrated guy in the NHL, and would be pretty happy if the Flyers brought him in to be the starter, giving him a 2-3 year deal, and had Stolarz be the backup.

Elliott will get a contract as a tandem or backup guy somewhere, I would think. Could even be Calgary, but I doubt they want that, considering how underwhelming he's been the worst regular in the league this year. I have no idea what is going on there as far as local information goes, but I think it's safe that the Flames aren't content with this combination.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks a lot for your input guys!

I wonder wether there's a bigger problem in Calgary with the goaltending... Maybe it's not even that wise to hope to have their future starter in Gillies or another guy. After all they turned Hiller, Ramo, Elliott and Johnson into less than desireable options although all of them were pretty solid on their former teams... Just a thought though...
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

The Great One

On a name basis that Calgary D is stacked... But stacked with what?

Personally ly I don't think Gillies even sees the NHL next year whereas the optimist in me thinks Stolarz could be the back up... After that it's a crap shot though

- - - Updated - - -

On a name basis that Calgary D is stacked... But stacked with what?

Personally ly I don't think Gillies even sees the NHL next year whereas the optimist in me thinks Stolarz could be the back up... After that it's a crap shot though
    Experience is the teacher of all things.