Thread: Beijing/Shanghai/HongKong

Default Beijing/Shanghai/HongKong

Fellow Dobberites,

You have helped me travel to many places over the years, Big Ev hooked me up with the free bus to the Sens Game, had great info from P7 about ATL and just missed grabbing a beer with the legend himself, many great food recommendations in Chicago and plenty more help where all of that came from!

I am coming to you once again!

I am travelling to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong for business early next month!
    Lay it on me, have you been? Stories? Experiences? Ideas? Suggestions? Advice?
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Beijing/Shanghai/HongKong

I live near Hong Kong and go there often! How long are you in each place? That would give a better idea for what to do. What do you like to do or are looking to do, generally? I could point you in the right direction. Beijing...I've only had a day for touristing when I was there, but it was fun.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov

Quote Originally Posted by BradyJets View Post
    I live near Hong Kong and go there often! How long are you in each place? That would give a better idea for what to do. What do you like to do or are looking to do, generally? I could point you in the right direction. Beijing...I've only had a day for touristing when I was there, but it was fun.
    Only a couple of days in each place!
    Not really sure what I'm looking to do - since I'm only there for such a short time are there any "must-see" things for example?
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hmm...only a couple of days.

Beijing - The subway/MTR/train is easy to use. Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City are across the street from each other and are right at the exit of the subway. Easy to see, but tons of people. Probably would want a few hours to get there and see them, but some great history. Check the open and closing hours.
    For night life, there's an area called Sanlitun. Entertainment area, bar street, shopping, etc.

Hong Kong - Both the Wan Chai area or Lan Kwai Fong in Central/Mid-Levels area for night life and bars/pubs/restaurants. For views, going up to The Peak (by number 15 bus or on The Peak Tram) you can see almost all of Hong Kong. If you're staying near the airport, the Airport Express train/MTR takes you right to Central. Near the Airport is the tram up to the Ngong Ping (spelling?) 360 viewpoint. Glass cable cars and you can see the "Big Buddha".
    Depends where you're staying, but it's easy to get around on the MTR to anywhere.
    There's a temple/tomb from 25 AD and it's open in the daytime if you like historical things like that. Lei Cheng Uk Han Tomb and museum. Lots of temples and monestaries around. Depends where you're staying
    Night markets are cool and cheap to buy things. There's one called the Temple Street Night Market and there's one called the Ladies Market.
    Cool traditional Hong Kong restaurants are a must, too. One called Australian Dairy Co (near Temple Street market) is very authentic for some breakfast items at any time of day. There are so many good ones, though. Authentic Cantonese restaurants are everywhere. Just Google it for near where you are. Not always my taste, but sometimes.
    For shopping, there's tons of it. Depends what you want. Lots of high-end places.

Any questions, let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm...only a couple of days.

Beijing - The subway/MTR/train is easy to use. Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City are across the street from each other and are right at the exit of the subway. Easy to see, but tons of people. Probably would want a few hours to get there and see them, but some great history. Check the open and closing hours.
    For night life, there's an area called Sanlitun. Entertainment area, bar street, shopping, etc.

Hong Kong - Both the Wan Chai area or Lan Kwai Fong in Central/Mid-Levels area for night life and bars/pubs/restaurants. For views, going up to The Peak (by number 15 bus or on The Peak Tram) you can see almost all of Hong Kong. If you're staying near the airport, the Airport Express train/MTR takes you right to Central. Near the Airport is the tram up to the Ngong Ping (spelling?) 360 viewpoint. Glass cable cars and you can see the "Big Buddha".
    Depends where you're staying, but it's easy to get around on the MTR to anywhere.
    There's a temple/tomb from 25 AD and it's open in the daytime if you like historical things like that. Lei Cheng Uk Han Tomb and museum. Lots of temples and monestaries around. Depends where you're staying
    Night markets are cool and cheap to buy things. There's one called the Temple Street Night Market and there's one called the Ladies Market.
    Cool traditional Hong Kong restaurants are a must, too. One called Australian Dairy Co (near Temple Street market) is very authentic for some breakfast items at any time of day. There are so many good ones, though. Authentic Cantonese restaurants are everywhere. Just Google it for near where you are. Not always my taste, but sometimes.
    For shopping, there's tons of it. Depends what you want. Lots of high-end places.

Any questions, let me know.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov