Thread: Scraping the bottom: Benning or Hjalmarsson?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Scraping the bottom: Benning or Hjalmarsson?

Need another D and the wire is beyond barren.

Hammer scoring way up but has he blown his wad already or is there more to come? Still virtually no PP time and very low shots

Haven't seen much of Benning, but keep hearing good things and see he is getting a sniff on the PP.

Only interested in this year - who is the better grab for the second half?

Thanks
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Scraping the bottom: Benning or Hjalmarsson?

I would roll with Hjalmarsson. He's steady, and if there's an injury, his stock goes up much more than Benning's would.

- - - Updated - - -

I would roll with Hjalmarsson. He's steady, and if there's an injury, his stock goes up much more than Benning's would.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Benning for me... I don't really see a situation where Hammer's value changes whereas a young d man who starts to make some noise warrants some attention from other GMs even if the return is only minimal

- - - Updated - - -

Benning for me... I don't really see a situation where Hammer's value changes whereas a young d man who starts to make some noise warrants some attention from other GMs even if the return is only minimal
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Keep in mind that Streit has been out in Philly, and when he returns that might negatively impact Manning, whereas with you know the worst case scenario with Hammer, plus, as others have noted, he could see big gains if there's an injury. I'd go with Hammer.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Keep in mind that Streit has been out in Philly, and when he returns that might negatively impact Manning, whereas with you know the worst case scenario with Hammer, plus, as others have noted, he could see big gains if there's an injury. I'd go with Hammer.
    Matt Benning of EDM, not Brandon Manning of PHI
    You made a good point though about Hammer, that he doesn't go any lower, just slightly higher. Very little risk with him.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

Oops - boy did I misread that. Maybe my son isn't the only one in my family who needs glasses.....
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Happens to the best of us! Even so, still some good thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Happens to the best of us! Even so, still some good thoughts.

Dobber Sports Star

Thanks fellas

Ended up going with Benning and he rewarded me with a snipe. Gotta love that (especially in my league where D goals are very heavily rewarded_.

My rationale was the same as Sulla's - Hammer is a known quantity, whereas Benning has upside and in my keeper league, youth and the promise of upside makes him much more valuable.

I will likely ship him for a producing vet since I am going for it, but in the meantime he looks like he is on a decent run and who knows, he may be a keeper after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks fellas

Ended up going with Benning and he rewarded me with a snipe. Gotta love that (especially in my league where D goals are very heavily rewarded_.

My rationale was the same as Sulla's - Hammer is a known quantity, whereas Benning has upside and in my keeper league, youth and the promise of upside makes him much more valuable.

I will likely ship him for a producing vet since I am going for it, but in the meantime he looks like he is on a decent run and who knows, he may be a keeper after all.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue