Thread: Greiss is nice!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Greiss is nice!

Pipe dream of the guy who grabbed him off the wire, or is he a solid tender to own in the second half?

Maybe this is the spark needed to right the ship in Brooklyn, at the very least there should be a short term boost.

Think the Isles turn it around or is it a lost year? Thoughts on Greiss? Hoping I got in on the ground floor.

Then again, I thought that about Brad Hunt as well
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Greiss is nice!

His numbers have been good, but the question is whether he can handle the work load. If you keep expectations low you should be getting an averageish but reliable goalie in terms of getting starts.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ninja

If I didn't already have Vaseline I'd be scooping this guy up RIGHT NOW.

Could be the start of a massive 2nd half for the Isles

- - - Updated - - -

If I didn't already have Vaseline I'd be scooping this guy up RIGHT NOW.

Could be the start of a massive 2nd half for the Isles

Dobber Sports Master

He is tabbed to be the number one in Brooklyn for the foreseeable future. A decent 2nd or 3rd fantasy goalie.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

.922 save percentage raises the question why he hadn't had the work load handed to him sooner (Well that and the 4.5 being paid to Halak) but I think there is value and longevity there though I would be willing to sell high if he goes really strong in his first 10
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Star

I have taken the approach to ride the wire for tenders this year vs overpay for a stud. It has worked like a charm - we have unlimited transactions in our league ($10 per transaction generates our pot) so I have been able snag whoever is hot. Budaj, Howard, Darling, Johnshon and now hopefully Greiss have kept me in the top 5 in tender stats all year. It is the only position in fantasy that is truly a team stat (in my league at least) where you can basically replace the exact value. When Crawford went down, Darling became just as valuable. No other position can be replaced like that off the wire. I was able to ship Rask for a great return and replace his numbers with Budaj off the wire. Love it

Happy New Year!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have taken the approach to ride the wire for tenders this year vs overpay for a stud. It has worked like a charm - we have unlimited transactions in our league ($10 per transaction generates our pot) so I have been able snag whoever is hot. Budaj, Howard, Darling, Johnshon and now hopefully Greiss have kept me in the top 5 in tender stats all year. It is the only position in fantasy that is truly a team stat (in my league at least) where you can basically replace the exact value. When Crawford went down, Darling became just as valuable. No other position can be replaced like that off the wire. I was able to ship Rask for a great return and replace his numbers with Budaj off the wire. Love it

Happy New Year!!

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Master

pmorrow is right - if you keep an even keel regarding his production you will allright .

snow will probably instruct cappy to give berube enough starts so that he retains rfa status - otherwise , berube can leave as ufa

I heard that number was 20 games

- - - Updated - - -

pmorrow is right - if you keep an even keel regarding his production you will allright .

snow will probably instruct cappy to give berube enough starts so that he retains rfa status - otherwise , berube can leave as ufa

I heard that number was 20 games

Dobber Sports Star

Hmnn the Berube thing is interesting. That means he would need to get in 18 starts over the last half of the season. That's a pretty serious cut into Greiss's starts.

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Administrator

I wouldn't read too much into the Berube/RFA stuff. Teams constantly re-sign pending UFAs before they hit the open market and considering he's a goalie (and a fringe one at that) the deal is unlikely to be too expensive. The Isles will go with the guy that gives them the best chance to win.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

As a UFA I don't see there being much of a market for a guy who may have played around a dozen games in two years... That and I think the way they have shown faith in him by moving Halak he would probably want to re sign in New York than have to prove himself again
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    His numbers have been good, but the question is whether he can handle the work load. If you keep expectations low you should be getting an averageish but reliable goalie in terms of getting starts.
    PM is right. Greiss, as is the case with most back-ups, are loved by their team. They are the guys are there for practice drills. SJ loved, loved playing in front of Greiss. Guys tend to play harder for the back up. But, there is a reason why guys are designated back ups. Sure, there is the odd chance of a guy getting a bad rap early and it sticks. For the most part, it's just a guy who either doesn't have the top skill level or cannot handle the work load. Eventually, decent back ups are exposed over the length of a season.

I see Greiss as a nice back up. If you're counting on him to be a Tier 1 or even 2 goalie, especially on this team, I think you should temper your expectations. I'd love to be wrong here because a good Islanders team is good for the league and for the NY rivalry but I guess we'll see.