Thread: Kyle Wood

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Kyle Wood

Just want to point out he has 24 PTS in 22 GP as a 6'5" 230lb rookie in the AHL... Why does he keep flying under the radar and why isn't he considered a top prospect? He's been hovering around a point a game all fall.

In addition, he had a monster playoff run last season in junior as well so the offence isn't necessarily new.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Kyle Wood

I'd like to hear more on him as well.. he didn't make the cut on Dobbers 50 D-prospects, so hopefully someone can shed some light on him. He appears to be a diamond in the rough.

It's kinda funny, I posted something similar regarding Ryan Graves on here, but in reverse as his appearance at #25 on the Dobber list took me by surprise.... 102mph slap shot caught peoples attention, but his pt/gm isn't as high as Wood's is.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah, not questioning the top defense prospects list at all. Just wondering if there's something about this guy, because almost nobody is talking about him and what he's doing is really impressive for a rookie and a guy that size. My guess is he's flown under the radar as a 3rd-round pick, but if he keeps this up it's a matter of time before he's generally considered a top prospect.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    Yeah, not questioning the top defense prospects list at all. Just wondering if there's something about this guy, because almost nobody is talking about him and what he's doing is really impressive for a rookie and a guy that size. My guess is he's flown under the radar as a 3rd-round pick, but if he keeps this up it's a matter of time before he's generally considered a top prospect.
    I think it would be fair to question where he stands in comparison to that list, or why Graves is smack dab in the middle and Wood isn't there at all. I haven't seen either or looked into Wood at all, but at first glance, one and not the other leads to questions.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

i picked him up in one of my dynasty leagues a couple of months ago. he should be a top 4 dman for the coyotes quite soon. although i'm not sure he'll put up such high numbers since OEL and deangelo will run the PP for the coyotes for years to come. his high point total is due to PP time.
    another thing to point out is that even though he's huge, he doesn't play a physical game, from what i've read up on him.
    here is my rule - anytime a team will credible management (which is just about everyone besides for the canucks and islanders!) make a prospect the center of a fairly major deal, i'm interested, provided there's room on the team's depth chart. wood was the main piece in the boedker deal, so there's a reason why they targeted him. (an example the other way is when the leafs acquired tobias lindberg as the main piece for phaneuf. he's got loads of talent, but there's very little room on the leafs' depth chart, so i wasn't as interested in him.)

- - - Updated - - -

i picked him up in one of my dynasty leagues a couple of months ago. he should be a top 4 dman for the coyotes quite soon. although i'm not sure he'll put up such high numbers since OEL and deangelo will run the PP for the coyotes for years to come. his high point total is due to PP time.
    another thing to point out is that even though he's huge, he doesn't play a physical game, from what i've read up on him.
    here is my rule - anytime a team will credible management (which is just about everyone besides for the canucks and islanders!) make a prospect the center of a fairly major deal, i'm interested, provided there's room on the team's depth chart. wood was the main piece in the boedker deal, so there's a reason why they targeted him. (an example the other way is when the leafs acquired tobias lindberg as the main piece for phaneuf. he's got loads of talent, but there's very little room on the leafs' depth chart, so i wasn't as interested in him.)