Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mason is back with a vengeance.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Mason is back with a vengeance.

Anyone else remember that this guy won the Calder trophy? After years of being lost in the hinterlands of Columbus he made his way to Philadelphia to start a new life. The first couple of years weren't easy as the team was rebuilding and trying to find its identity. But finally there's some stability in front of him, not the type of stability which Holtby, Fleury and Brodeur have made careers out of- but something better than the type of crappy Philadelphia system and skaters that ruined goalies' careers.

The time is now.

Call me naïve. Call me starstruck, blind, a fool. I don't care.

I've been lauding Mason for years on these forums and he still to this day remains my avatar. I've used cynical terms to describe Mason's future, ridiculing Philadelphia to use as a wall to shield me from the terrible hope I feel.

But now, I see that he is performing at the level he should have been all these years. THIS is the same Mason who won the Calder trophy.

To those of you stuck it out with Mason, or at least were savvy enough to pick him up this year, I say sit back and enjoy the ride because Mason is not going anywhere.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Mason is back with a vengeance.

I saw the beginning of tonight's game and they flashed a stat up on the TV, but I missed most of it. Something about Mason's last 10 games being outstanding.

I own this guy and believe that he's better than most give him credit for, even in the fantasy realm.

Funny enough, I received a trade inquiry on him today! He's not going anywhere on my team either.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Sage

Philadelphia finally has a good team around him, and its his free agent year. He could easily go right back in the toilet after he picks up the big check. See Varlamov, Semyon. Hope it sticks though, nice to see you around again SP.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Last 10 games (including tonight's 3-2W vs Washington): 8-1-1, only 2 games with more than 2 GA (5, 3) and 5 games with a 0.938 SV% or better over those 10 gp.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post

Call me naïve. Call me starstruck, blind, a fool. I don't care.

To those of you stuck it out with Mason, or at least were savvy enough to pick him up this year, I say sit back and enjoy the ride because Mason is not going anywhere.

Yeah its safe to say he is squarely back in the dumper, where we are used to finding him. That nice run he went on has turned completely around. GAA creeping back towards 3.00, SV% sliding back towards .900, this is the Jackets version of Mason on display. Sorry SP. Points for your loyalty though.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I want to anger cut him and Va-Sieve-lesky in the worst way....but the minute I do they'll get hot for someone else. Meanwhile Condon has better numbers than them.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Mason fan here...

FWIW:

Since 2013, among goalies with at least 4000 mins played, Mason is 2nd to only Carey Price in even strength Save %

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...t&sortdir=DESC

There's a great goalie underneath the surface...

Dobber Sports All-Star

....unfortunately, that's a pretty thick surface.

Dobber Sports Pro

Agreed Kingpin, that is often an overlooked area that he is actually very steady goalie year by year, but he is streaky very much so within each year but overall YTD very consistent amongst the best at even strength save %
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Initiate

this current Flyers team is not a defense first team. Before the 10 game hot streak he was deep in the net because they kept turning the puck over in their own zone. he seemed to get more aggressive during the hot streak but this current stretch just shows that he cannot steal a game for you and if there are turn overs and high quality shots he's going to lose. Who would think that at the start of the year if I told you my four goalies were Vas, Mason, Fleury and Murray that I would be near the bottom in gaa and sv pct.

Dobber Sports Stud

It's what happens when you have an above average goalie on a below average team.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Sage

Yeah its a mystery. Does he just crumble under the PP pressure? Flyers do commit quite a few penalties.

The Great One

Mason is unheralded to say the least. Is he an ideal own in H2H? probably not as he can suffer with inconsistency (but then a lot of goalies do). Problem for Mason is that his tends to last a little longer which may also be a part of that d corps in front of him (in terms of real life defensive ability). I have no qualms rostering him or acquiring at the right price - if you do you just have to understand that you will struggle to ever trade him for anything close to how you would value him

- - - Updated - - -

Mason is unheralded to say the least. Is he an ideal own in H2H? probably not as he can suffer with inconsistency (but then a lot of goalies do). Problem for Mason is that his tends to last a little longer which may also be a part of that d corps in front of him (in terms of real life defensive ability). I have no qualms rostering him or acquiring at the right price - if you do you just have to understand that you will struggle to ever trade him for anything close to how you would value him
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Pro

Sorry but every third game he blows up. Not consistent enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but every third game he blows up. Not consistent enough for me. Dropped him for Greiss
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Don't get me wrong... those stats are nice, but if they don't help you in fantasy, what's the point - What I'm saying is, advanced research shows he is a good goalie...

I'd say just simply blaming his Defence is folly... perhaps there is other factors... Does Philly take alot of penalties and which thus subject him to more difficult work? Maybe he is just inconsistent as we've observed? Hard to put that into a science tho...

If you can't stomach the ups and downs, then pass on him... but if you're into mining data to uncover player's skills, he shows to be above average