Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Hall hit on Philip Larsen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Taylor Hall hit on Philip Larsen

I don't know, kinda looked like Hall tries to absorb some of that hit, probably seeing that Larson with his head down and essentially contact was made with hall in a straight up and down position. Larson was skating into hall as well, he just didn't see it. Hall could have lead with his shoulder but didn't. Larson is primarily to blame here. Feel for him but had Hall followed through the way he could have, this could have been far worse.

He got crushed Lindros style. Keep your head up boys!! Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the hit. But as I've said in many a thread like this, I have no idea what people consider to be a clean hit vs. a dirty hit anymore.

And yeah, i'm more irate about the stupidity of some of the other guys on the ice.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with the hit. But as I've said in many a thread like this, I have no idea what people consider to be a clean hit vs. a dirty hit anymore.

And yeah, i'm more irate about the stupidity of some of the other guys on the ice.
    People tend to think of hits in hockey as 2 categories: Clean and Dirty. I think a third type of hit needs to be considered.

1. Clean: a hit within the rules with no malicious intent
    2. Dirty: a hit against the rules with malicious intent
    3. Illegal: a hit against the rules with no malicious intent. This would include things like accidental high sticks.

In my opinion, the Hall hit was illegal because of the hit to the head, but with Hall's track record and the video evidence of the play in question, I would say it was not malicious. Hits like this need to be punished to hold people accountable and responsible for their actions and to protect players. It's not a clean hit, but it is nothing Like the realm of Cooke or Torres.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

Hit is fine.

It’s the idiots after that should be ashamed. I hate how any hit now starts a fight to begin with.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    i am not sure how anybody can describe the hit as "clean" considering the primary point of contact is the head. That's the wording now for "illegal hit to the head". It does say that the defending player who puts himself in a potentially dangerous situation needs to be considered, but Hall hit his head. First. That makes it a, not "clean" hit.

Rylant
    Interesting stance considering your AVI, AKA the dirtiest player to ever play hockey.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    I don't think this is being discussed enough. Watch what happens immediately after the hit. Sbisa bumps into Larsen's head while skating into the melee. Chaput tries to fight Hall. I get the hockey code, but those two have to be smarter than that.

But it wasn't just Canucks who acted like goofs. Kyle Quincey could have easily injured Larsen further the way he skated in and bumped Larsen's head. Another Devils' player looked like he jumped over Larsen. Thank goodness Markstrom and Granlund had enough sense to protect their injured teammate.
    Seems like nobody is talking about it, but it's basically the first thing I noticed. Like what are you guys doing? Jesus.

- - - Updated - - -

People tend to think of hits in hockey as 2 categories: Clean and Dirty. I think a third type of hit needs to be considered.

1. Clean: a hit within the rules with no malicious intent
    2. Dirty: a hit against the rules with malicious intent
    3. Illegal: a hit against the rules with no malicious intent. This would include things like accidental high sticks.

In my opinion, the Hall hit was illegal because of the hit to the head, but with Hall's track record and the video evidence of the play in question, I would say it was not malicious. Hits like this need to be punished to hold people accountable and responsible for their actions and to protect players. It's not a clean hit, but it is nothing Like the realm of Cooke or Torres.

Rylant
    So people in a contact sport need to be wary of other players illegally skating into them now? That's where we're headed?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Hit is fine.

It’s the idiots after that should be ashamed. I hate how any hit now starts a fight to begin with.
    yeah how many guys almost stepped on larsens face. yeesh. the hit was fine. unfortunate but it was as pure hockey as you can get.

Dobber Sports Monster

I've talked to a few hockey players in their late 40's-early 50's that said they had more respect for their peers, like when they seen their opponent was in a vulnerable spot they would let up and not completely destroy the guy and that respect has gone out the window these days. I never played in either era so I don't know but just something interesting what some people thought after looking at the Hall hit. I kind of see what they mean, hitting a guy is nice but drilling the guy into unconsciousness is never good to see but in a way Larsen is partly to blame since he should have had his head up.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I didn't know what all the fuss was about when I seen the hit. It looked like a good, clean hit. There is no way there should be a suspension here. Nothing like the David Pastrnak hit on Girardi where he jumped into Girardi's head.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I didn't know what all the fuss was about when I seen the hit. It looked like a good, clean hit. There is no way there should be a suspension here. Nothing like the David Pastrnak hit on Girardi where he jumped into Girardi's head.
    is anyone actually calling the hit dirty?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    is anyone actually calling the hit dirty?
    Well if its not clean, it must be dirty, so yeah. Check page 1.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Interesting stance considering your AVI, AKA the dirtiest player to ever play hockey.

- - - Updated - - -

So people in a contact sport need to be wary of other players illegally skating into them now? That's where we're headed?

Do you understand how ridiculous it is that you would comment on my avatar or even presume to know what my stance is? What do you care what I think?

And your comment about being wary of people illegally skating into them is equally ridiculous. Why do you always find it necessary to twist people's words around? And, shouldn't people in a contact sport be wary of other players skating illegally into them? Seems reasonable to me, that ANY player in ANY contact sport, should be wary of the other players around them?

Listen, I appreciate a bone-jarring hit as much as anyone. Scott Stevens is probably my favourite player of all time. Call him "dirty" if you want. It was a different time. I am also smart enough to know, that hockey is better off WITH Marc Savard, Eric Lindros and Pat Lafontaine IN the game. The NHL has a mandate to eliminate head hits from the game. You can't do that, if it's legal to do. You can't have it both ways.

Rylant

Dobber Sports All-Star

Do you understand how ridiculous it is that you would comment on my avatar or even presume to know what my stance is? What do you care what I think?

And your comment about being wary of people illegally skating into them is equally ridiculous. Why do you always find it necessary to twist people's words around? And, shouldn't people in a contact sport be wary of other players skating illegally into them? Seems reasonable to me, that ANY player in ANY contact sport, should be wary of the other players around them?

Listen, I appreciate a bone-jarring hit as much as anyone. Scott Stevens is probably my favourite player of all time. Call him "dirty" if you want. It was a different time. I am also smart enough to know, that hockey is better off WITH Marc Savard, Eric Lindros and Pat Lafontaine IN the game. The NHL has a mandate to eliminate head hits from the game. You can't do that, if it's legal to do. You can't have it both ways.

Rylant
    Have to say. It was awesome watching Stevens step into Lindros cutting into the middle. Lindros sure died by the sword he lived by.

I'd more think it's reasonable that players should be expected to not skate with their chin's touching their chests, given it's a contact sport and all. However you seem to have taken that stance that player skating with their head down into another player = illegal hit to the head = suspension for player being run into. That's a damn smart tactic for the playoff. 4th line grinder should skate his head into Crosby's chest, he's win his team a playoff series.

Dobber Sports Star

It's amazing how many arguments you two manage to get into (rataylor22 + Rylant) where I don't agree with either of you. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    It's amazing how many arguments you two manage to get into (rataylor22 + Rylant) where I don't agree with either of you. Impressive.
    #Talent