Thread: Is it FINALLY time to give up on Elliott?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is it FINALLY time to give up on Elliott?

The recurring question...when, if ever, is Elliott/Calgary start to improve defensively. I basically have been playing short two roster spots all year with Eichel and Elliot I hate to drop a starting goalie but no one appears interested. I am trying to be patient but... I am sitting 3rd in my league, but goalie cats hurting me. Any insight is appreciated.
    10 Team H2H Fantrax League, Points (Cats), Daily lineup, 3 claims / wk.
    F - 5, D - 4, G - 2, Skt - 1, Bench - 6, IR - 3

F - P. Kane, Zibanejad, Couturier, E. Lindholm, Kopitar, B. Schenn, Kadri, Monahan, Hintz, Rust, Nylander
    D - Burns, D. Hamilton, Girard, Andersson
    G - Hellebuyck, Andersen, Samsonov

Scoring -
    G - 1.4
    A - 1.4
    FOW - .4
    PPP - 1.1
    SOG - .8
    W - 1.1
    SV% - .6

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Is it FINALLY time to give up on Elliott?

That all depends on what you can replace him with?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports All-Star

Well you have 3 other goalies in a play 2 a nights situation. Granted Anderson,Ward and Helly are not the best 3 in the league, but Ward is playing very well of late and Hell Boy looks to have beaten out Hutchinson for the starting gig in Winnipeg. Anderson is a bit iffy too, but a bonifide #1 on a young and talented team lead by a great coach. The Leafs should pick it up a little eventually. So really you could drop Elliot and replace him with a skater unless a decent goalie falls into your lap through a trade or a shrewd waiver wire pick up.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ace

Call me crazy but i still think there is hope for this Calgary team. I do think that they will turn it around.

Gaudreau and Mony missed camp and they added a new coach and a new goalie. They might end up being like the Ducks or Pens from last year, where they are like a Jeckel and hyde type team.

Maybe I'm just hoping because of my roster has some Flames players and i want to believe it.

Last year all the talk was that CGY just needed goaltending and they would have been fine. I believe that is still the case. I would give Elliott 10 more games.

I know ill be in the minority here but i still have faith in CGY.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports All-Star

I have faith in Calgary as well. I think they are a strong team who started the season utterly disorganized and without focus. They will get better. That said Johnson is proving to be a great goaltender and his hot start, lucky or not, will by him a very long leash. Elliot, on the other hand, has earned (perhaps through quite a bit of bad luck) a very tenuous leash at best. But as always with goalies, if Johnson becomes a strainer and Elliot starts putting up back to back quality starts, he might get the crease back by the new year. But that is a bunch of ifs. At the end of the day I feel Elliot is the better goalie, but he hasn't played very well and he has lost the confidence of the team and the coach. At least for now.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'd hold onto Fleury. I've got nothing to support my instincts but I think he gets moved to a team like Calgary or Dallas with a veteran coming back the other way to back up Murray. The situation in Pittsburgh is similar to the one in Tampa. Both Fleury and Bishop know that they are not "the guy" going forward. Heck, Fleury may not even be "the guy" for now. Tough to play in that kind of environment. Maybe Fleury approves a deal to a on the cum young Calgary team or a team ready to challenge this year in Dallas.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    I'd hold onto Fleury. I've got nothing to support my instincts but I think he gets moved to a team like Calgary or Dallas with a veteran coming back the other way to back up Murray. The situation in Pittsburgh is similar to the one in Tampa. Both Fleury and Bishop know that they are not "the guy" going forward. Heck, Fleury may not even be "the guy" for now. Tough to play in that kind of environment. Maybe Fleury approves a deal to a on the cum young Calgary team or a team ready to challenge this year in Dallas.
    What happened? What did I miss? The OP doesn't appear to Have Fleury. How can he hang on to him? Did I miss something?

As far as Elliot is concerned, unless there is potential stud pickup waiting on the wire for you, I'd recommend a little more patience. Let this team play healthy. Yeah Johnson seems to have won the starters job, but he had to win it because it was Elliott's to lose. I could still see a flipping of the guards this year.

Elliott was garbage when he first landed in Colorado from Ottawa too. Takes time for some guys.

Dobber Sports Stud

I have Elliot on a couple of my teams and have decided to wait a little while longer, even though it's hard to bench him every night. Even if there was some interest in him at this point in time, I would be selling low.

Dobber Sports Monster

LeBrun has an interesting piece on TSN right now wondering if the FLames might actually look to trade Elliott+ for a starter like Fleury or Bishop. To me this makes tons of sense for a team like Pittsburgh who could offload Fleury's salary and use that money to go deadline shopping for a deep playoff drive. And it still gives them a very good one two tandem of Murray/Elliott. If I had to guess Tampa won't move Bishop because they don't need the cap space (Stamkos on LTIR saves a ton); they won't get enough for him as a pending UFA to justify it IMO.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The time to give up on Elliott was about a week ago or so. Why?

1. He has poor personal numbers, which led to...
    2. He lost the starting job he was given when acquired, which means...
    3. He is a backup on a bad team.

Short of an injury to Johnson, it looks bleak for Elliott regaining a lot of value this year. Johnson's numbers haven't really been bad for a whole season except for one year with the Islanders. That year lines up pretty well with Elliott's career outside Saint Louis. I am wondering if Hitchcock's Blues system made Elliott look a lot better than he actually is.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Meh, I'd hang on to him until at least the halfway mark of the season. I'm sure the Flames will turn it around and Elliott will be a part of that. I could be wrong, but I'd continue to be patient as difficult as it is.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    That all depends on what you can replace him with?
    is Ryan Miller a better proposition than Elliott. Both Miller and Markstrom are on WW.

F - P. Kane, Zibanejad, Couturier, E. Lindholm, Kopitar, B. Schenn, Kadri, Monahan, Hintz, Rust, Nylander

Scoring -
    G - 1.4
    A - 1.4
    FOW - .4
    PPP - 1.1
    SOG - .8
    W - 1.1
    SV% - .6

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by parky777 View Post
    is Ryan Miller a better proposition than Elliott. Both Miller and Markstrom are on WW.
    He's your #4 goalie right now. You start 2, so you probably want to roster 4, but you might get more value from an extra skater.

Who else is on waivers?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    He's your #4 goalie right now. You start 2, so you probably want to roster 4, but you might get more value from an extra skater.

Who else is on waivers?
    According to FHG top forwards for my Cats are:
    Konecny
    Sam Bennet
    Josh Bailey
    Namestnikov

D are:
    jake Gardiner
    Orlov

Scoring -
    G - 1.4
    A - 1.4
    FOW - .4
    PPP - 1.1
    SOG - .8
    W - 1.1
    SV% - .6