Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you.... "Black Friday"?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Do you.... "Black Friday"?

Just curious if any of you get excited about "Black Friday" sales?
    Seems like it has gone absolutely crazy in the last 5 years.

If yes - are you a "live store" shopper or an online shopper?
    What are you excited about buying this year?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Do you.... "Black Friday"?

I don't do it to the point that I'm camping out outside or any of that bullshlt. I guess I might if I was back in college and that was the only way I'd be able to afford stuff, but those days are long behind me.

But I will go to a few places on Friday, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, maybe one or two others, but my tolerance for hassles and crowds is pretty low.

RETIRED

The Great One

Couldn't pay me enough to do it.

Cyber Monday is a thing right? I'll probably dabble on Monday.

Dobber Sports Master

Pfft... more evidence of the liberal agenda. I shop on all Fridays, because #AllFridaysMatter

Anywho...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

Over the past few years, Black Friday has actually surpassed "Boxing Day" (the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday - right after xmas) as the biggest shopping day of the year in Canada.

I have a very effective strategy for dealing with Black Friday... I usually hit the stores now, buy what I like at regular price - and then come back on Black Friday week (yes it's a whole week here) with my receipt and get a price adjustment. That way I get first dibs on all the selection and best of all I don't have to deal with crowds.

I'm definitely not the type to wake up super early, fight the stampeding crowds or even worse - camp out at night - to get access to the sales. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with that circus...

Dobber Sports Genius

I do online BF shopping. Last year I found some great gift deals for a few people, as well as a couple of deals for myself. For fun shopping for myself, it's generally board games and video games.

This summer I got married and moved to a house literally one minute away from a large mall, so I may waltz over to the mall and see if there's anything worthwhile in-store.

Dobber Sports Star

So much easier to do it online, but I think the "you couldn't pay me enough" crowd is exaggerating. It's a total nightmare, but if you paid me to go? Yep!

I generally don't buy much at all but I do keep a running list of 'wants' that I am constantly adding/removing things from, and if any of the things on that list dip to prices too good to be true I'll probably pull the trigger. Preferably a new backpack I have my eye on and an SSD for my aging laptop.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I generally don't buy much at all but I do keep a running list of 'wants' that I am constantly adding/removing things from, and if any of the things on that list dip to prices too good to be true I'll probably pull the trigger. Preferably a new backpack I have my eye on and an SSD for my aging laptop.
    Places like Amazon are great for this (which may be exactly what you're talking about). Their prices fluctuate so frequently, and sometimes the prices drop tremendously for a day, or even less. I've got a lengthy 'wish list' that I check out somewhat frequently for that reason. It's a good way to keep an eye on pricing trends, and what are actually good deals.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Just curious if any of you get excited about "Black Friday" sales?
    YES!

If yes - are you a "live store" shopper or an online shopper?
    BOTH!!

What are you excited about buying this year?
    EVERYTHING!!!

Here's a recap in case you don't get a chance to partake in the glorious Black Friday spree!

Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Places like Amazon are great for this (which may be exactly what you're talking about). Their prices fluctuate so frequently, and sometimes the prices drop tremendously for a day, or even less. I've got a lengthy 'wish list' that I check out somewhat frequently for that reason. It's a good way to keep an eye on pricing trends, and what are actually good deals.
    Ya good call on the amazon cart. There are some cool sites that track prices as well (camelcamelcamel, etc)

For my sake though, the list is just as much about letting the desire to buy these things pass as it is about getting a good deal. Fairly often I find myself wanting something (some gadget or god knows what), but instead of buying it right then, I add it to the "list" and see what happens. If I keep wanting it for a while then I will usually go ahead and buy it, but pretty much anytime I look at the list I have a few "what the hell did I want a ____ for?!" moments from things I added months ago and forgot about.

It's just a way of filtering out the things I actually want from the things I only think I want. Without it, I would have a lot more expensive junk sitting around my place gathering dust.

Dobber Sports Ninja

My Black Friday routine starts on Thursday night when I make a large batch of spicy chili with three types of beans. I eat as much of it as I can along with several cans of coke. Then I'll eat whatever's left on Friday morning and head out to the mall. I have to leave early because my stomach is so full that it's trembling when I waddle into the mall. I then let nature take its course. Strangely enough, I find that people tend not to crowd around me. Smell ya later.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    My Black Friday routine starts on Thursday night when I make a large batch of spicy chili with three types of beans. I eat as much of it as I can along with several cans of coke. Then I'll eat whatever's left on Friday morning and head out to the mall. I have to leave early because my stomach is so full that it's trembling when I waddle into the mall. I then let nature take its course. Strangely enough, I find that people tend not to crowd around me. Smell ya later.
    At first, I was like "that's a weird ritual, but good for him... I like chili, may try eating some this year..."
    And then I got your "drift"
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sage

I am not much of a shopper so the sales don't excite me. The stuff I want the most is not sold at the mall anyways. My favorite online fishing site always has a 20% off Black Friday sale so I will make my biggest purchase of the offseason this weekend through them. I will also look for some blue tooth head phones and keep an eye on my phone company to see if they slash the price on my next phone. But that's about it.

Last year, I stumbled onto a great deal from Best Buy on a laptop that I desperately needed. Because I had a credit card with them they emailed me their Black Friday ad early and I was able to order it before the sale opened to the rest of the public. I ordered it on Tuesday and received it the next day. Guess the computer sold out instantly and a bunch of people were complaining. I was kicking around the idea of getting a new TV but I am going to hold off for now.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

I normally don't but this year I probably will partake. I need a new cell phone and I am curious to see what offers my cell provider come up with. I was told by a customer service rep to hold off until Friday to see what they have so that's what I will do. I am in no hurry anyway as my current cell still works fine.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

If I see a good deal on a TV on Best Buy online I may, but it depends if I can get the online gift cards through PetroPoints at all. That was having “technical difficulties” last I checked a couple of days ago. What a coincidence.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll